Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2014, 12:44 PM
Cult Master

Default What Music DVDs Have You Seen Recently?

As I have mentioned before, due to the job I do, I really do not have a lot of time to sit down and watch a film.

Instead, I am finding myself more and more sitting down with a music DVD, and working thru that (because it's easy to pause/stop at the end of a song, and then pick things up later without missing a plot)

What music DVD's have you watched recently, and what did you think of them? What were the standout moments/tracks? Will you watch it again?

I am currently going thru 'The Big 4 at Sonisphere' thing, and have just finished the Anthrax set. I really enjoyed it, and it seemed like they were having fun as well

Stand out moment - Joey Belladonna's wig!

*For the sake of this thread, the term 'Music DVD' refers to either concerts or documentaries about bands or musical genres. It does NOT refer to musical films or things that have a soundtrack

**This is my second attempt at getting a 'sticky'. Maybe it'll work this time!!!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st August 2014, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

That's the only set on the DVD that I haven't watched, never been a fan of Anthrax tbh
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st August 2014, 01:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
That's the only set on the DVD that I haven't watched, never been a fan of Anthrax tbh
It's well worth watching Rik.

I remember when i'd finished it i wondered if the other three would actually be as impressive.
Old 21st August 2014, 01:11 PM
Cult Master

The Big 4:

Anthrax - the 'fun' band
Megadeth - the 'political' band
Slayer - the 'Satanic' band
Metallica - the 'popular' band

But I agree with Mr. Dike. Please watch this set - it's a good one.

Old 21st August 2014, 01:11 PM
Cult Master

Great thread idea Suzi.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 21st August 2014, 01:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's well worth watching Rik.

I remember when i'd finished it i wondered if the other three would actually be as impressive.
Yeah, I seem to remember you telling me this before when I'd mentioned not watching it yet. TBH, I've not watched the others for ages either
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st August 2014, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default what-music-dvds-have-you-seen-recently.

I usually dip in and out of a music dvd,in between the odd film,In no particular order here's my faves at the mo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41mV7R5CLRL.jpg (21.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51-7fvYVyOL.jpg (35.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51scn86fmTL.jpg (53.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 61ZnwpwrKHL._SL1500_.jpg (82.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 81p15bK4OhL._SL1500_.jpg (86.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 413v2dfwNeL.jpg (30.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st August 2014, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict

PUNK IN AFRICA. A great look at the little known punk scene in Africa focussing mainly on South Africa. Whilst art school tossers in the UK were whinging on about apathy and boredom, this lot were risking arrest and imprisonment just for forming bands with both black and white members. Recommended.

BEWARE MR BAKER. Possibly the greatest drummer of rock proves he is one of the most damaged and damaging souls around. Unbelievable stuff, the man is pure scum and genius in one very gaunt frame. Highly recommended.

EAST END BABYLON. F*cking fantastic film about The Cockney Rejects that is also a social history of the East End of London. Great live footage and interviews plus loads of footage of mass violence as the Rejects kick shit out of people on and off stage! Highly recommended.
Old 21st August 2014, 10:28 PM
Cult Master

This is the last music dvd/blu ray i watched. I have watched it so many times fantastic documentary fantastic music and really down to earth fantastic guy. Highly recommended for any Rush fan.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd August 2014, 10:38 AM
Cult Master

Yesterday, I watched the AC/DC River Plate concert

It was fun, but probably the worst AC/DC DVD that I currently have. Don't get me wrong - the music as good, but I found the split screen effect to be very annoying, and the constant shots of the audience seem to be there wholly to say 'hey guys, look at how many people we were playing to'

After that, I did the Megadeth set from 'The Big 4' DVD

Megadeth are a strange band. I loved their debut album, but after that, I lost interest. I also read Dave Mustaines' autobiography, and I liked him less and less

However...watching this set reminded me of what they were - the 'riff masters' from the big 4. I am now thinking that Mustaine might be the thrash metal version of Geddy Lee - someone who is able to play complex guitar licks while singing!

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!