Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree4569Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th June 2015, 10:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

New Wombbath. Oh yes.
Old 15th June 2015, 07:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Morbid Angel Parts Ways With David Vincent, Reunites With Steve Tucker - Blabbermouth.net
Old 15th June 2015, 09:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Currently blasting Morbosidad at work, now that almost everyone is gone

Old 16th June 2015, 11:41 AM
Cult Veteran

I'm reading Nergal's book at the moment, never really listened to Behemoth before hand either, but he's a really interesting man who has overcome a lot of challenges and is constantly testing himself. I've decided I'm a fan of the man even if I'm not really familiar with the music, however I have checked out a few songs on streaming services and I like most of what I hear. I think it's clear that the guy is heavily influenced by Morbid Angel and Death in the later Behemoth albums, the earlier ones are a little more 'black'

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th June 2015, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Good call!!

What are everyone's favorite books on metal?
I'll post some more titles when I get home, I'll put this one for now (pics from the label's site):

METALION: The Slayer Mag Diaries, by Jon “Metalion” Kristiansen

The greatest heavy metal story ever told—the complete tale of a life lived for metal. Part anthology, part memoir, and years in the making, METALION includes over 600 reproduction pages from every issue of Slayer Mag—Slayer 1 through Slayer XX, plus the precursor Live Wire zine—spanning from the early 1980s through 2010. In addition, author Jon Kristiansen recounts his life’s story, from alienated outsider to central figure in Norwegian black metal to metal party beast to world-weary metal survivor. The book also features over 100 rare photographs, including two color sections and a portrait gallery of photographs taken by Kristiansen himself.

For twenty-five years, Norway’s Slayer Mag published the gospel of black metal and death metal, combining eye-ripping graphics, brutally honest writing, and relentless offbeat humor. With this anthology/memoir, editor Jon “Metalion” Kristiansen unfolds the extreme highs and lows of a life lived for heavy metal. Founded in 1985 in Sarpsborg, Norway, Slayer Mag quickly rose to prominence by championing countless unsigned death metal pioneers. The pages of Slayer Mag exploded along with the extreme metal underground, and as black metal rose to prominence in Norway in the 1990s, Slayer Mag remained the final word on the moods and motivations of those dark times.

The astonishing combination of archival material includes scores of key historic interviews with the most revered figures in extreme metal, including Mayhem, Emperor, Slayer, Kreator, Nihilist, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Cathedral, Entombed, Morbid, Napalm Death, Metallica, Opeth, Cradle of Filth, Sadistik Execution, Usurper, Nifelheim, Darkthrone, Sodom, Destruction, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Exodus, Dissection, Candlemass, Carcass, Sepultura, Gorgoroth, Death, Watain, Sadus, Satyricon, Enslaved, Pentagram, Jarboe, Immortal, Possessed, Overkill, Ulver, Dark Angel, and countless others.
Justin101 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:04 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Cogumelo - 30 Anos (30 Years)

A book (in portuguese only) on the history of Cogumelo, the label that kickstared the brazilian thrash/death/black scene. Not a lot of info but some great newspaper clips, vintage band pics and reproduction of the major albums' covers.

Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 17th June 2015, 06:17 AM
Cult Veteran

I saw that Matalion book on amazon and I have been thinking about picking it up. The magazines always sold out really fast back in the day so I never got around to buying them.

Old 17th June 2015, 06:40 AM
Cult Veteran

One of my favourites is this art book by Peter Beste called True Norwegian Black Metal it's in limited quantities so is quite pricey nowadays and it doesn't have much text in it, but it's HUGE in size and has full page photographs. It also reprints THAT infamous Kerrang! article...

and my favourite

The issue of Kerrang! that literally changed my life in 1993 as a 16yr old into metal.

EDIT:: I was 15 until a month later haha!!

Last edited by Justin101; 17th June 2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

New Slayer album cover.

Rik likes this.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

And the limited edition metal eagle version of the album, limited to 3000 copies.

Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!