Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree4474Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th July 2014, 10:20 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default EXTREME METAL

Black Metal is more than just music to me it's my life. I love most metal and a lot of other genres if music but Black Metal runs through my veins. The first time I saw Venom on In To The Pit a half hour extreme metal show that followed Headbangers Ball every week on MTV I was hooked it was both scary and exciting for a young teenager. I taped that show every week but watched Venom play Black Metal over and over until the tape snapped. That was the day I would lay down my soul to the gods rock n roll

I'll be using this thread to talk about my love obsession and devotion to all things BLAAAAAAACK METAL. If you have an interest in this genre of music please stop by and contribute.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Can't say it's my favorite genre, but it's certainly up there. Love old style thrash/black (Venom, Hellhammer/C Frost/Decayed...) and squizo BM like early-Filii Nigrantium Infernalium. Not so much into Norwegian BM, find it kind of repetitive, but I like classic Mayhem.

In fact, I remember you sent me some Arrow postcards and I wanted to send somethimng related to BM back to you, but you didn't give me your address

Nordicdusk and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 17th July 2014, 11:16 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobral View Post
Can't say it's my favorite genre, but it's certainly up there. Love old style thrash/black (Venom, Hellhammer/C Frost/Decayed...) and squizo BM like early-Filii Nigrantium Infernalium. Not so much into Norwegian BM, find it kind of repetitive, but I like classic Mayhem.

In fact, I remember you sent me some Arrow postcards and I wanted to send somethimng related to BM back to you, but you didn't give me your address

Those were gifts I didn't want anything in return that's why I never gave my address .
Old 17th July 2014, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I hope this thread takes off Nordic.

There's a whole world of underground music i am no longer in touch with.

I hope this doesn't bore you too much but it's a little background to my musical history where Black Metal is concerned.

I got into Black Metal around 97 / 98 because i was bored with and never really got on with the whole Grunge and Nu-Metal wave.

I was at a bit of a loss with the whole music scene full stop. Metal as i knew it (Glam, thrash etc) was basically dead in the water. Mercilessly butchered by a lumberjack shirt wearing group whose singer ended up taking his own life because his own band ended up exactly the same as the whole movement they rebelled against in the first place.

Grunge was extremely dull - Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam apart, it was hollow and miserable, seemingly without energy and the vitality of what had gone before it. Nu-Metal took this ethos and ran with it. The mags suddenly disliked everything i still loved, even Maiden seemed in a state of decay so i needed to get a musical fix elsewhere.

I explored American country music and really took a liking to the wave of female singers/bands breaking through such as Dixie Chicks and Faith Hill. These artists brought the fun back into music and their use of rock guitar rather than banjo's helped, along with Oasis, fill the void left by Motley Crue, Kiss, etc.

What about the heavier stuff though? Slayer hadn't released a great album for ten years, the same went for Anthrax (Sound of White Noise is an exception), Megadeth, Testament etc. Even Quorthon went Brit-pop for one album.

I'm not sure how but someone introduced me to an album called Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk by Emperor and i was blown away. Certainly the vocals took a bit of getting used to, but the music was fantastic. Amazingly fast guitar, ridiculous blast beat drumming and even a hint of synthesizer. The next album i took a chance with was Rebel Extravaganza by Satyricon and from then on the more popular bands of this underground genre known as Black Metal all became favourites - Mayhem, Immortal, Dark Funeral, Darkthrone etc.

From this i moved into Gothic metal and as time went on the music industry changed. Grunge / Nu-metal died off apart from the cream of the crop and the old music returned. Bands such as Motorhead, Maiden, and Saxon had a whole new lease of life and i've never looked back.

In short i now listen to every form of music i've ever enjoyed, be it Kiss, Leppard, Satyricon, Primal Scream, but have unfortunately lost touch with the underground scene so hopefully Nordic and this excellent thread can destroy me with more blast beats than i can ever hope for and have me on the look out for many great acts with indecipherable band logos.
Old 17th July 2014, 01:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Satyricon - Phoenix.

Black Metal but not as you know it but still absolute class.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 17th July 2014, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dimmu Borgir - The Chosen Legacy

Nordicdusk and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
Old 17th July 2014, 01:41 PM
Cult Master

No pressure then Dem

I hope that I can introduce people to new band and get some people back into the older bands they may have lost touch with over the years. Some will be to some peoples taste most I'm sure won't be but this is my thread I'll do what I want

But seriously I really appreciate the interest so far
Demdike@Cult Labs and Zann like this.
Old 17th July 2014, 02:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Not a massive fan myself, but I'm always up for giving new bands help and publicity, so I highly recommend checking out these guys (nothing to do with the fact I recorded the drums )

http://hryre.bandcamp.com/releases

My mate, who is the vocalist/bass player also runs a Black Metal UK Facebook group, which is worth seeking out for new talent too. I can't link to it because I'm on my phone, but it's easily found on there as British Black Metal Society
Nordicdusk likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th July 2014, 03:44 PM
Cult Master

Just in from work lets get cracking with where it all started for me.

I cant remember what age i was when i first saw this video but i was in my early teens and it changed my life. I had no internet no money and no record stores that sold music like this so every week i would tune into the Headbangers Ball without fail just to try find out more about this new music that excited me more than anything i had ever heard.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Zann like this.
Old 17th July 2014, 03:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The first Venom record i owned was a picture disc of the Warhead single.

Still their best song in my opinion. Cronos sounds so evil.

Nordicdusk likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!