Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree397Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2019, 11:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Proto Boosh or what?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th November 2019, 04:17 PM
Cult Master

Photographer Terry O'Neill has died from prostate cancer

He was 81

In addition to being the executive producer of the film 'Mommie Dearest' (1981) and the stills photographer for the film Aria (1987), he was the person who took the cover picture for the 1978 'Who Are You?' album

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th November 2019, 05:05 PM
Cult Master

November 19th, 2019 - The Who became the first rock legends to get paving stone on Camden's Music Walk of Fame

The Music Walk of Fame will stretch along the road in Camden between Chalk Farm’s The Roundhouse and Mornington Crescent’s KOKO, and organisers plan to award a further 20 stones in the coming year, with artists including The Clash, Amy Winehouse, Madness and Prince expected to be celebrated. Plans are to eventually lay out more than 400 plaques over the next 20 years

bleakshaun likes this.

Old 20th November 2019, 07:03 AM
Cult Master

Film review: Tommy | The Digital Fix

"Ken Russell's film of The Who's rock opera is as loud, over the top and frequently brilliant as ever, and is back in British cinemas as part of the BFI's musicals season"

7 out of 10
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 22nd November 2019, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

Roger is in hospital today, having an operation on his throat

"Roger Daltrey is to have an operation to scrape his throat to check and remove precancerous cells from his vocal cords.

The Who legend, 75, first noticed a problem with his voice in 2009 and was diagnosed with dysplasia — abnormal, precancerous cells in his throat.

He now tells British newspaper The Sun he is having an operation on Friday to ensure his voice is OK for a 2020 tour.

“I can’t do much talking — I’m off for a voice op on Friday,” he explains.

The Who previously had to postpone several U.S. concerts in September after losing his voice.

Daltrey’s doctor Rajiv Pandit says the operation, and regular checks and work, including laser treatment, helps stop the star getting cancer, as well as enabling him to perform.

“In Roger’s case, his dysplasia left untreated would have not only ruined his singing career but could have turned into cancer,” he explains.

The Who’s U.K. tour gets under way in Manchester in March."

https://canoe.com/entertainment/musi...UfDmYODld9_55A
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 23rd November 2019, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The new album gets a 8/10 score in the latest issue of Classic Rock.
Old 24th November 2019, 01:25 PM
Cult Master

November 24th, 1964 - The Who play a show at the Marquee club in London

This is the first time that they appeared using that name - previously they had been known as 'The High Numbers'

Happy 55th Birthday to The Who!!!!

Demoncrat likes this.

Old 25th November 2019, 06:07 AM
Cult Master

Roger and Marty Feldman in 1975

nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 26th November 2019, 11:03 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

THE WHO's PETE TOWNSHEND On KEITH MOON And JOHN ENTWISTLE: 'Thank God They're Gone'

Quote:
THE WHO guitarist Pete Townshend has said in a new interview with Rolling Stone that he doesn't miss the band's late drummer Keith Moon and bassist John Entwistle.

"It's not going to make WHO fans very happy, but thank God they're gone," he said. "Because they were ****ing difficult to play with. They never, ever managed to create bands for themselves. I think my musical discipline, my musical efficiency as a rhythm player, held the band together."

Townshend said Entwistle's "bass sound was like a Messiaen organ," with "every note, every harmonic in the sky. When he passed away and I did the first few shows without him, with Pino [Palladino] on bass, he was playing without all that stuff … I said, 'Wow, I have a job.'"

The guitarist was equally brutal in his recollection of Moon, saying: "With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn't do that. So when he passed away, it was, like, 'Oh, I don't have to keep time anymore.'"

Townshend added: "Usually, I'm so unaffected by death. My mother, father, Keith Moon."

Moon was 32 years old when he died in 1978 from an overdose of clomethiazole, while while Entwistle passed away from a cocaine-induced heart attack in 2002.

In the Rolling Stone article, Townshend and singer Roger Daltrey are described as "detached, if not estranged, from each other," with the two giving interviews separately and staying in different hotels.

"If you watch Roger onstage, he goes through a lot of visual phases," said Townshend. "Sometimes, he can't stop himself looking over at me. It's irritation. It's irritation that I'm even there."

Toward the end of the interview, Townshend summed up THE WHO in the following way: "We're not a band anymore. There's a lot of people who don't like it when I say it, but we're just not a ****ing band. Even when we were, I used to sit there thinking, 'This is a ****ing waste of time. Take 26 because Keith Moon has had one glass of brandy too many.'"

THE WHO will release a new album, simply called "Who", on December 6
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/th...d-theyre-gone/
Old 27th November 2019, 06:06 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
THE WHO's PETE TOWNSHEND On KEITH MOON And JOHN ENTWISTLE: 'Thank God They're Gone'

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/th...d-theyre-gone/
On Instagram, Pete stated: "It was ironic, I laughed when I said it. I miss them terribly as friends but what I said was their deaths freed me as a musician, gave me space and for that I thank God. I didn't mean to thank God they are dead. Rolling Stone isn't a safe source anymore...

...What is being picked up by online media makes me look evil. I have done nearly 50 interviews. You just lose focus after a while. I was careless trusting media to convey irony. It comes across as sarcasm and bitterness. My fault though. Need to be more alert".

Don't get fooled again!

Like this? Share it using the links below!