Cult Master

New song premiered at Wembley

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th July 2019, 04:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Susan Foreman likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th July 2019, 04:56 PM
Cult Master

Very good

Old 8th July 2019, 05:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
New song premiered at Wembley

They should stick to playing the classics because that song is pretty damn poor, and it’s nothing to do with the fact it was filmed on a phone either!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th July 2019, 09:05 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
They should stick to playing the classics because that song is pretty damn poor, and it’s nothing to do with the fact it was filmed on a phone either!
That does seem to be a bone of contentment between the two

When the band go out on tour and there is new material available, Pete, the composer and artist, wants to play the new songs, while Roger, the vocalist and performer, thinks that they should stick to the old songs, and play a 'greatest hits' package

Some people will say that this indicates a band who are stuck in the past, while others will say it's a band giving the people what they want!

There is nothing out of the ordinary about this, and many bands who have been going a long time seem to concentrate on their older back catalogue:
  • I saw Status Quo in 2016, and the most 'recent' song they played was from the 'In Search Of The Fourth Chord' album from 2007
  • I saw REO Speedwagon in 2016, and the most 'recent' song they played was from the 'Wheels Are Turning' album from 1984
  • On their current tour, Kiss are not playing anything recorded after the 'Sonic Boom' album in 2009
  • On the 'Legacy Of The Beast' tour, Iron Maiden didn't play anything after the 'Matter Of Life And Death' album from 2006

You may find it hard to believe, but the quintessential Who song, 'My Generation', is not a mainstay of their live set. I have seen them a number of times, and they have only played it once. The songs that they have always played are '5:15', 'Love Reign O'er Me', 'Who Are You?', 'Pinball Wizard', 'Baba O'Riley', 'Won't Get Fooled Again' and (surprisingly) 'You Better You Bet'
Rik and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 9th July 2019, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

If I went to watch them, I’d be more than happy to not hear My Generation, give me Baba O’Reily, Won’t Get Fooled Again, Who Are You, most of Tommy etc any day over that song!
Susan Foreman likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th July 2019, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I looked at their discography a while ago and noticed they'd only released one record since 1982 and that was in 2006 - 13 years ago.

So basically everything they play is going to be classed as old music or Heritage if you want to be posh.

Just going back to Susan's Kiss reference. It's only their last album they aren't playing anything from, an album they toured extensively at the time.

As for Maiden, the Legacy tour was one of their 'classic tours' - the ones they do when not supporting an album. When they tour an album they certainly give a large bulk of their set to said album. (I know, i've grumbled about it in the past )
Old 11th July 2019, 11:21 AM
Cult Master

Painting by Ronnie Wood

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 13th July 2019, 09:49 AM
Cult Master

July 13th, 1985 - The Who re-group on stage for the first time since their *cough* 1982 "Farewell Tour" to perform at the Live Aid concert. Bob Geldof, the organizer of the event, effectively blackmails the band into reuniting, threatening to tell the press "The Who would do nothing to help the starving children of Ethiopia" if they refuse to perform.

Roger tries to make a demand that Kenney Jones not be used as drummer but is overruled.

The bands participation is on and off up until the day of the concert. Geldof later says "it was rather like getting one man's four ex-wives together."

Seventy-five thousand attend the concert and over 100 million worldwide watch on television the greatest rock acts Britain can muster.

Well all except The Who! The satellite feed to both the U.K. and the U.S. goes down during "Pinball Wizard", but they would probably have preferred the blackout due to the fact that after only 20 minutes of rehearsal (!) they give what is consider a lackluster performance. John is particularly unhappy as his bass malfunctions and he has to retune halfway through "My Generation." Pete attempts an air kick and ends up falling on his posterior. Pete had written a new song, "After The Fire," for premiere at Live Aid but it is dropped as there wasn't time to rehearse it

Later, at the end of Paul McCartney's set, Paul and Pete lift Bob Geldof onto their shoulders. At the end of the concert, The Who join all the other acts in singing the British Live Aid anthem, "Do They Know It's Christmas."

Audio only, taken from a US radio broadcast

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 15th July 2019, 12:10 PM
Cult Master

10 points to anyone who can hear any resemblance to 'My Generation' in this!

It was included on the CD single re-release of 'Generation' in 1996

Like this? Share it using the links below!