Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree397Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2020, 04:18 PM
Cult Master

January 27th, 2002 - The first time I saw the band!

There were a handful of small warm-up shows (Jan 27th & 28th - Portsmouth Guildhall, Jan 31st Watford Colosseum) before two shows at the Royal Albert Hall (Feb 7th & 8th)

All concerts were charity shows in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust

My mate Les, who was an original Mod, got his wife to queue overnight to get tickets for the opening night. She got three, and I was offered the spare one. It cost £32.50, which was bloody expensive at the time - it was more than a weeks dole money for me! I couldn't really afford it, but then I thought it might be the only chance I get to see them, so I said 'yes'

Portsmouth Guildhall was a medium sized venue, split over two levels, with a capacity of about 2,200. We were upstairs, on the right hand side of the stage - traditionally Pete's side

We missed the opening act because we were in the bar, but I *think* they might have been black rebel motorcycle club

The Who came on and played:
  • I Can't Explain
  • Substitute
  • Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
  • Amazing Journey
  • Sparks
  • My Wife - John on vocals
  • Baba O'Riley
  • Drowned - Pete solo, with an acoustic guitar
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • I'm Free
  • Pinball Wizard
  • You Better You Bet
  • Who Are You
  • 5:15
  • Won't Get Fooled Again

Encore:
  • The Kids Are Alright
  • Summertime Blues (Eddie Cochran cover)
  • Baby Don't You Do It (Marvin Gaye cover)
  • My Generation

Too much beer before the show meant I had to go to the bathroom during '5:15', so I missed the opening power chord to 'Fooled Again'! At the end of 'Generation', Pete smashed his guitar!

A great show and a great set

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th February 2020, 01:07 PM
Cult Master

John playing a Fender Squier 6 string bass at the Goldhawk Road Social Club in London, 1965

Old 6th February 2020, 06:58 PM
Cult Master

February 6th, 1979 - Pete (centre) with cast members from the stage version of 'Tommy' at the Queens Theatre in London. Left - right Anna Nicholas (Acid Queen), Peter Straker (Narrator), Allan Love (Tommy) and Bob Grant (Uncle Ernie / The Doctor)

Yes, *that* Bob Grant, better known as Jack from 'On The Buses'!

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 12th February 2020, 02:06 PM
Cult Master

Christies Auction house in 1998

Old 12th February 2020, 10:27 PM
Cult Master

The band are currently performing a series of club dates at the Pryzm nightclub in Kingston-Upon-Thames, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the historic concert at Leeds University on February 14th, 1970

The first two acoustic concerts, one early (6.30pm) and one late (8.00pm), was held on Wednesday, February 12th. Two more shows are to be held on Friday, February 14th

All four concerts were instant sell-outs when tickets, costing only £13.00, went on-sale in mid-December

The setlist for both the early and late shows was:
  • Substitute
  • Squeeze Box
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • The Kids Are Alright
  • Break the News
  • She Rocked My World
  • Pinball Wizard
  • Won't Get Fooled Again

Old 13th February 2020, 11:41 AM
Cult Master

February 13th, 1998 - The Christian rock group ApologetiX releases their CD 'Jesus Christ Morningstar' featuring a re-written cover of 'Pinball Wizard' which they called 'Temple Physician'

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 14th February 2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Cleaning up
Old 14th February 2020, 07:03 AM
Cult Master

Pete, on the right, as he appears in his friend Richard Stanley's 1968 student film 'Lone Ranger'

Graphic designer Storm Thorgerson worked as the assistant director on the piece

Old 14th February 2020, 09:28 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The band are currently performing a series of club dates at the Pryzm nightclub in Kingston-Upon-Thames, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the historic concert at Leeds University on February 14th, 1970

The first two acoustic concerts, one early (6.30pm) and one late (8.00pm), was held on Wednesday, February 12th. Two more shows are to be held on Friday, February 14th

All four concerts were instant sell-outs when tickets, costing only £13.00, went on-sale in mid-December

The setlist for both the early and late shows was:
  • Substitute
  • Squeeze Box
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • The Kids Are Alright
  • Break the News
  • She Rocked My World
  • Pinball Wizard
  • Won't Get Fooled Again
The setlist for the shows on February 14th
  • Substitute
  • Squeeze Box
  • Three Steps to Heaven (Eddie Cochran cover) (Partial)
  • Tattoo (First time since 2008)
  • The Kids Are Alright
  • Behind Blue Eyes
  • Break the News
  • She Rocked My World
  • Pinball Wizard
  • Won't Get Fooled Again

Old 14th February 2020, 09:37 PM
Cult Master

Live at Leeds: The Who's legendary gig remembered 50 years on | BBC News

"On the 50th anniversary of a legendary gig by The Who, people who were there have been recalling how the band "threw everything into it."

The rock group played at the packed University of Leeds refectory on 14 February 1970 and recorded the gig.

The record it spawned, Live at Leeds, is often cited as one of the best live rock albums of all time.

Ed Anderson, a Who fan who was at the Valentine's Day concert, said: "I remember it vividly. The band threw everything into it."

Mr Anderson, then an economics student at Leeds Polytechnic, was a big fan of the band and first saw them in 1968.

"Leeds University was then the number one venue for rock music, week after week I saw the top bands and I would be there most Saturdays," he said.

He remembered queuing up on that Saturday for tickets costing a few shillings in those pre-decimal times.

Mr Anderson said people knew the concert was to be recorded and said "anyone there would remember it to this day".

"It was very, very hot and we were crammed in like sardines," he said.

Mr Anderson said he was lucky to be in the city when "gig economics just worked" and a student union could host such an event.

Five decades on, the former student is now the Lord Lieutenant of West Yorkshire and also sits on the University Council but said music was "still very much part of my life".

Chris McCourt, a 17-year-old amateur photographer was chosen by the band to take pictures that night.

He was asked to take pictures at the Leeds gig, and one at Hull the next day, for a £50 fee, despite having no experience of live music photography.

"There was not much of a stage at Leeds but I took what pictures I could," Mr McCourt said.

"It was pretty informal. I was standing right in front of the stage and it was a lively crowd."

Mr McCourt recalled the band played for more than two hours and his colour photographs were to be used for a potential album cover.

However, he had another camera and rolls of black and white film that he also used to take pictures for himself.

"I wasn't a Who fan and I never bought the live album," he admitted.

None of his pictures were used for an album cover and at the time Mr McCourt did not even print the black and white pictures he took.

It was not until 1995 when some of his work from the night was published in a music magazine and on reissued CDs of the gig.

Mr McCourt remembered "it was hard work that night but I had no previous experience and didn't know what I was doing".

Steve Keeble, of the student union, said the venue The Who played was still largely unchanged.

"It's a student refectory, many of the students eating their lunch will be oblivious to the fact it's one of the most historic rock venues in the country," he said.

Dr Simon Warner, visiting research fellow in the school of music at the university, said: "The Who playing here in 1970 gave the venue such a status, bands wanted to play here and play here they did.

"The album was released in a nondescript, undistinguished brown paper packet meant to hint it was a bootleg, even though it wasn't."

Dr Warner said the biggest groups of the day would appear at the university in that era.

"The college circuit was massive, it's not anymore but in 1970 it was rocking," he added."

Old 18th February 2020, 07:53 PM
Cult Master

Best Keith Moon Performances: 20 Kit-Shattering Drum Highlights | UDiscover Music

Titles discussed (with videos)

20: ‘Dreaming From The Waist’ (live in Swansea, 1976)
19: ‘So Sad About Us’
18: ‘Happy Jack’
17: ‘The Real Me’
16: ‘I Can’t Explain’ (live in Texas, 1975)
15: ‘The Rock’
14: ‘Substitute’
13: ‘Behind Blue Eyes’
12: ‘Pinball Wizard’
11: ‘Sea And Sand’
10: ‘Baba O’Riley’ (Shepperton Studios, 1978)
9: ‘Love, Reign O’er Me’
8: ‘My Generation’
7: ‘Bargain’
6: ‘Young Man Blues’ (from Live At Leeds)
5: ‘Bell Boy’
4: ‘Who Are You’ (live at Ramport Studios in Battersea, 1978)
3: ‘I Can See For Miles’
2: ‘A Quick One (While He’s Away)’ (The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus, 1968)
1: ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’
bleakshaun likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!