Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree27166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2021, 06:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

It blows my mind when I think that this album was made in 1983! It sounds much more modern, ahead of it's time.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 5th June 2021, 06:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Pyromania and Hysteria were both well ahead of their time production wise. I love some of the echoing drum sounds on Hysteria.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 5th June 2021, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Hysteria (and New Jersey) has a very special place in my heart for being my gateway into the best music genre ever invented - Heavy Metal!! Starting secondary school opened my eyes more than I could ever imagined, gone were the days of listening to my mum's pop albums and tapes.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 5th June 2021, 07:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Old 5th June 2021, 10:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Hysteria (and New Jersey) has a very special place in my heart for being my gateway into the best music genre ever invented - Heavy Metal!! Starting secondary school opened my eyes more than I could ever imagined, gone were the days of listening to my mum's pop albums and tapes.
New Jersey is a fantastic album. I saw them touring it at the NEC in Birmingham. Superb stuff. My first time seeing the band.

I saw them another four times in that New Jersey to These Days era. Then once touring Bounce five years later.

Definitely in the running for my favourite live band back in the day. Jon could own a crowd immediately. Seeing some of the later live dvd's i think they've lost their edge musically. Jon Bon Jovi hasn't lost his stage presence but the band seemed less rock than they were and more Jon's backing group. Not sure what they are like since Phil X replaced Richie Sambora. Going off their improved recording output I'd guess they've got that edge back a bit. I loved his work when he was in Powder in the early 00's.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 5th June 2021, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Poison - Nothin' But a Good Time

Open Up And Say . . . Ahh! (1988)

I've listened to this album through four times today. I just couldn't be bothered looking for something else to listen to. It's been hot today.

Think this song is brilliant as showcased in the Brad Pitt / Angelina Jolie film Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
Old 5th June 2021, 10:36 PM
Cult Veteran

That's another fantastic album that I discovered in secondary school. It's been a long time since, but I worked it out earlier when listening to New Jersey. I started secondary in Sep 1988, it's no wonder that I was shown all of these fantastic albums and they stuck with me through the years. I had so many C90s filled with great albums.

Old 5th June 2021, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's another fantastic album that I discovered in secondary school. It's been a long time since, but I worked it out earlier when listening to New Jersey. I started secondary in Sep 1988, it's no wonder that I was shown all of these fantastic albums and they stuck with me through the years. I had so many C90s filled with great albums.
I always thought Poison were a bit under rated. I don't think their debut album cover helped them in 1986. The year when Master of Puppets and Peace Sells were released. Motley Crue did the whole heavy make up thing with Theater of Pain a year earlier then came back a year after Look What the Cat Dragged In with Girls, Girls, Girls and a leather and biker Sunset Strip look leaving Poison looking rather ridiculous.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 6th June 2021, 09:45 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I always thought Poison were a bit under rated. I don't think their debut album cover helped them in 1986. The year when Master of Puppets and Peace Sells were released. Motley Crue did the whole heavy make up thing with Theater of Pain a year earlier then came back a year after Look What the Cat Dragged In with Girls, Girls, Girls and a leather and biker Sunset Strip look leaving Poison looking rather ridiculous.
For some reason I thought that it was 'Flesh & Blood' when the band had a more serious look, but after watching the Unskinny Bop video last night, it was still very 'pretty'. It must have been 'Native Tongue' when they had a slight change in styling.

Old 6th June 2021, 11:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
For some reason I thought that it was 'Flesh & Blood' when the band had a more serious look, but after watching the Unskinny Bop video last night, it was still very 'pretty'. It must have been 'Native Tongue' when they had a slight change in styling.
I liked Native Tongue. It was a total change in focus. Possibly due to CC Deville leaving and Richie Kotzen replacing him on guitar. The party anthems were out and a more bluesy feel was in.

Even the albums party like songs had those southern rock style harmonies to them.

Poison - Strike Up the Band

Native Tongue (1993)
MrBarlow likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!