Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree24940Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #20861  
Old 23rd November 2021, 06:58 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Venom - Megalomania



Prime Evil (1989)

I'm pretty sure the first time i heard the Sabbath song Megalomania was this cover by Venom on their Prime Evil album which i bought on vinyl. Sadly i no longer own it. Need to buy the cd.

I didn't own Sabotage on any format in 89 when this was released.
Justin101, bleakshaun and MrBarlow like this.
Reply With Quote
  #20862  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:08 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

In a similar fashion, the first time I heard Sabbath's Zero The Hero was when Cannibal Corpse covered it on the Hammer Smashed Face EP in 1993, at which point I didn't even know that Black Sabbath had an album called Born Again, one which would later become one of my favourites!

__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
  #20863  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:11 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
In a similar fashion, the first time I heard Sabbath's Zero The Hero was when Cannibal Corpse covered it on the Hammer Smashed Face EP in 1993, at which point I didn't even know that Black Sabbath had an album called Born Again, one which would later become one of my favourites!

Haha! I did actually own Born Again back in the eighties on vinyl. Along with Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master of Reality, The Mob Rules, Seventh Star and The Headless Cross.
Justin101 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #20864  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:16 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Haha! I did actually own Born Again back in the eighties on vinyl. Along with Black Sabbath, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, Master of Reality, The Mob Rules, Seventh Star and The Headless Cross.
I picked up an original pressing on vinyl a couple of years ago for 20, it's in perfect nick. Love it! I have The Headless Cross on vinyl in my stored records at my mums too, but up until that point I actually thought that Vol 4 was the last Sabbath album before Ozzy quit and they (lol) disbanded... I was only 16 at this point, and there was no internet. I can be forgiven
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
  #20865  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:25 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I picked up an original pressing on vinyl a couple of years ago for 20, it's in perfect nick. Love it! I have The Headless Cross on vinyl in my stored records at my mums too, but up until that point I actually thought that Vol 4 was the last Sabbath album before Ozzy quit and they (lol) disbanded... I was only 16 at this point, and there was no internet. I can be forgiven
You certainly can. I got all my info from Kerrang!, then later Metal Hammer and Raw, and occasionally Terrorizer, plus mates. I was part of a pretty cool crowd at the time.
Reply With Quote
  #20866  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:33 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
You certainly can. I got all my info from Kerrang!, then later Metal Hammer and Raw, and occasionally Terrorizer, plus mates. I was part of a pretty cool crowd at the time.
My mates were all as equally clueless, we were all the same age and went to the same school so we all knew the same stuff We introduced each other some amazing music through our secondary school years, starting with Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper in the first year and gradually getting heavier each year. It was also the rise of Earache and Peaceville records during that time when I was in school 1988-1993 so I grew up with all of that as well.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and listen to that Venom album now, I've never heard it before! (Venom only had three albums in my recollection haha)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
  #20867  
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:36 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
My mates were all as equally clueless, we were all the same age and went to the same school so we all knew the same stuff We introduced each other some amazing music through our secondary school years, starting with Bon Jovi and Alice Cooper in the first year and gradually getting heavier each year. It was also the rise of Earache and Peaceville records during that time when I was in school 1988-1993 so I grew up with all of that as well.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go ahead and listen to that Venom album now, I've never heard it before! (Venom only had three albums in my recollection haha)
They ditched Cronos for that record and hired Tony 'Demolition Man' Dolan. There's not an awful lot of difference in voices really. It's a great album as are all Venom's albums i've heard in the years since.
Justin101 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #20868  
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:50 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
  #20869  
Old 23rd November 2021, 10:02 PM
Demoncrat's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: summerisle
Blog Entries: 21
Default

MrBarlow likes this.
__________________



"It's come off!"

"I'm no philosopher ... I'm the guy .. who gets the firewood"
Reply With Quote
  #20870  
Old 24th November 2021, 03:25 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

__________________


In the middle of Transylvania!

Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.