Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2011, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

One of the best bands that came in the wake of godspeed!. When this track hits its stride, the interlocking riffs are amazing...

Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship

Old 8th November 2011, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
SMiLE by the Beach Boys. cant stop playing this. most pop avant garde thing ive heard...

seriously some of it is quite eerie, though i would go as far as mate who mentioned Ligeti in reference...

not one for hyperbole usually, but this is my album of the century.
Presently on my fourth back to back listen of SMiLE. It's pretty amazing with each play bringing something new to the ear. thehamish sums it up lovely with the phrase "pop avant garde".
Wes and Demoncrat like this.
Old 9th November 2011, 06:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Presently on my fourth back to back listen of SMiLE. It's pretty amazing with each play bringing something new to the ear. thehamish sums it up lovely with the phrase "pop avant garde".
I must get this.... I've always confused this with the Smiley Smile LP which I've only heard one track from Fall Breaks and Back to Winter (Woody Woodpecker Symphony), included on David Toop's Ocean of Sound comp. For what its worth my fave BB's track is still the one that closes out American Grafitti...

Old 9th November 2011, 10:02 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

"Pet Sounds", one of the most oddly depressing records ever made. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye if I listen to it when pissed or sober depending on my mood. "God Only Knows" and "I Know There's an Answer" floor me every listen.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th November 2011, 10:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"Pet Sounds", one of the most oddly depressing records ever made. It never fails to bring a tear to my eye if I listen to it when pissed or sober depending on my mood. "God Only Knows" and "I Know There's an Answer" floor me every listen.
I know what you mean, but I must admit that I've always admired the album more than I liked it - in terms of records that pushed the envelope like Revolver, the first Velvet Underground album, Dark Side of the Moon, Low, Loveless, I don't feel the weight of Pet Sounds as much as the others I just mentioned... Having said that, I'm gonna dig it out tonite and give it a listen...
Old 12th November 2011, 11:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Derek & Clive

Derek & Clive.
Been re visiting these three again,luv this anecdote from rickiy gervais-

I first heard Derek and Clive late one Saturday night in November 1976.
My family were at my sister's house. My brother Bob had got a copy of Derek and Clive Live, and was playing it in the front room. I was 15 and felt like I was being let into an inner circle of comedy.
My mum came into the room from the kitchen at the moment when Mr Cook was telling Mr Moore that the worst job he'd ever had was retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's arsehole.
My mum said, "Bob! Turn that off. What if the vicar came round?"
Bob replied, "It's midnight, so I'd tell the c**t to f*** off!"

I think I've listened to all three albums over a thousand times in the last thirty odd years.
They actually get funnier with age. And I think it may be my favourite piece of character comedy ever.

No, it's not big and it's not clever. But it's ****ing funny. c**t
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06Derek & Clive.jpg (18.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Derek & Clive 0_.jpg (51.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Derek & Clive.jpg (45.7 KB, 1 views)
PaulD likes this.
Old 12th November 2011, 01:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Old 12th November 2011, 02:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Been listening to The Orb for the last few days, especially Orbus Terrarum, probably my favourite Alex Patterson LP - and the only Orb album I can listen to from start to finish without skipping a track...

This cut here is from Live '93, a majestic version of Little Fluffy Clouds recorded in Tokyo...about 3 minutes into this, you can here Riki Lee Jones' mournful voice, reminicing about the skies of Arizona, layered with Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint and Morricone's snarling harmonica from Once Upon A Time In The West. Incredible...

Last edited by Wes; 12th November 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 15th November 2011, 07:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SPOOKHAUS-SATAN CLAWS

- Home
Old 15th November 2011, 07:16 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
For what its worth my fave BB's track is still the one that closes out American Grafitti...

Ahhh, Such a great ****ing film!

Like this? Share it using the links below!