All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27202Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2011, 10:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Love The Fall! One of my favourite bands. Saw them twice last week.
have to ask...how was MES? or more to the point, how long did he stay on stage??
Old 16th November 2011, 10:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
have to ask...how was MES? or more to the point, how long did he stay on stage??
Haha! The Newcastle gig was worrying because the venue had a strict 10pm cufew and the band didn't come on until about 9:50. Thankfully, the curfew was waived and we got about 50-55 minutes which, while short by most other bands standards, is par for the course these days with The Fall. He seemed ok, but pretty drunk at Newcastle. Great gig overall though.

York was even better - he seemed on better form and they came back on twice to do an unplanned one-song-encore. During Latch Key Kid he handed me the mic as well which was awesome so hopefully my drunken singing/shouting is immortalised on a bootleg somewhere (happened again briefly on White Lightning too)
Wes and Demoncrat like this.
Old 16th November 2011, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Haha! The Newcastle gig was worrying because the venue had a strict 10pm cufew and the band didn't come on until about 9:50. Thankfully, the curfew was waived and we got about 50-55 minutes which, while short by most other bands standards, is par for the course these days with The Fall. He seemed ok, but pretty drunk at Newcastle. Great gig overall though.

York was even better - he seemed on better form and they came back on twice to do an unplanned one-song-encore. During Latch Key Kid he handed me the mic as well which was awesome so hopefully my drunken singing/shouting is immortalised on a bootleg somewhere (happened again briefly on White Lightning too)
sounds about par for the course as you say. have taken mate twice to see them recently, both times were interesting to say the least, dont know if he'll come next time etc.
they were blinding the second time we saw them (though an hour late....), tiny club, tiny audience (after the last time when he walked off after 40 minutes...to a chorus of "weve been duped!" i didnt expect a massive turnout but its their loss...)
have been resisting listening to new album on youtube.
as im dying to hear this "gossip girl" song.
all cometh to he who waiteth....
Old 16th November 2011, 10:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Wire reviewed the new album in the last issue and called it another essential Fall LP, but they're always blowing them off so...
Old 16th November 2011, 10:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
The Wire reviewed the new album in the last issue and called it another essential Fall LP, but they're always blowing them off so...
....havent read TW in ages, nae since the last time TG were on the cover etc.
does David Toop still write for them?
Old 16th November 2011, 11:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not sure, I only pick up the mag very occasionally these days, that mag became unreadable... like this review of sound artist John Duncan:

Conversation is undervalued as a performance medium but overextended as an analogy for musical behaviour. You're likely to find more conversing going on between chrous and the protangonist in an ancient Greek tragedy than among most musicians...

No Time to Wallow in The Wire
Old 16th November 2011, 11:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I hate The Wire. Nowadays it's the bible for pretensious twonks with ironic moustaches dressed head to toe in Amercian Apparel.

That and Pitchfork can die a horrible death.
Old 16th November 2011, 12:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah... reading The Wire I felt a lot dumber than I really am, so I knocked it on the head. For what it's worth I would still pick it up if it had a good Primer or if there was a good installment of Invisible Jukebox - they remain The Wire's best features....

Listening to a classic from years back, Jessica Bailiff's Even In Silence. I haven't been keeping up with it lately but I used to pick up most everything on Kranky...
Old 16th November 2011, 01:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Loving the acid on this track. It's a really wonky tune as well and I'm always partial to a bit of wonk

Blawan - Bohla

And this has been played a lot because it's so hilariously terrible, well the whole album is naff. Metallica just appear to churn out more of what they've done since time immemorial and Reed, well he's like some raging preacher whose been a slave to the communion wine. I've listened to the album 7+ times, but I simply don't like it.

Lou Reed & Metallica - Pumping Blood

It's Burial meets Hood. Hauntingly beautiful.

Cloud Boat - Lions On The Beach

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 16th November 2011, 02:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Not sure, I only pick up the mag very occasionally these days, that mag became unreadable... like this review of sound artist John Duncan:

Conversation is undervalued as a performance medium but overextended as an analogy for musical behaviour. You're likely to find more conversing going on between chrous and the protangonist in an ancient Greek tragedy than among most musicians...

No Time to Wallow in The Wire
aye, that sounds about right. i gave up on it as i was sick of never finding any of the cds i wanted (this is pre internet etc)
i like a bit of pretension, but not every one can be Simon Frith

Like this? Share it using the links below!