Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27206Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th November 2008, 05:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

As I say I already knew it was a classic because the songs had been doing the rounds on YouTube and the like long before its eventual release. Have you had a listen to it yet? Or are you convinced you won't like it regardless? Come on Hal, give it a go, where's your sense of fun?

Oh I recently bought the special packaging release of Disturbed's Believe album. Funnily enough I was close to buying it on its day of release back in 2002 was it? Instead though I chose something else and it kind of slipped under my radar. It's a vast improvement on the Shit Hop influenced debut and actually sounds like a metal album this time around. I think instead of all that "OOOO-WAAAHHHH", "WAH WAH", "WUCKA WUCKA" and "UW UWWW" nonsense (clearly trying to be hip) David Draiman sounds good on it. Like Brian Barry of One Minute Silence he has a fairly distinctive voice that takes a reasonably standard band and lifts it to new heights. It's not perfect but as I say I think it improves a lot on The Sickness which though it was decent in parts it was bogged down by too much crap. Listening to this takes me back to the early 2000s when this kind of stuff was coming out thick and fast. The Nu-Metal scene wasn't brilliant but I guess I feel a lot of nostalgia now towards that time despite at the time being really frustrated by Eminem listening posers thinking that Linkin ****ing Park invented metal and Limp Bizkit were "da bomb" . I miss those days now because at least the music was entertaining if flawed, unlike all this Metalcore cack which I hate. No offence to anyone who does like Metalcore and that.
Old 29th November 2008, 06:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Go on then I'll give it a listen at some point, I'm not one to write off albums before I've even heard them. I'm not really a fan of classic rock though, I'm into that cack metalcore

From what I've heard of that Disturbed album yeah, it is pretty good. Don't own any after The Sickness myself but both my brother and sister are into them and I've heard bits and bobs. Theres some decent songs on The Sickness but I do think they got better after departing from the poor rap aspects of that album.
Old 29th November 2008, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cloud's more into 'thigh slapping music' rather than the hardcore, all out, hard as nails music that appeals to our good sleeves Hal.
Aint that right Cloud, you secret slapper you.! hehehehe
Old 29th November 2008, 06:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I don't know how you can listen to it. You've heard one Metalcore band and you've heard 'em all . Some Post-Hardcore is quite good though. Dead Poetic and early GlassJAw in particular.

Excellent. Head over to YouTube and type in "There Was A Time" and enjoy. That's my favourite song from the album. Aside from that songs such as "Better", "IRS", "Shackler's Revenge", "If The World" (very FNM sounding song by the way ), "Prostitute" and "Scraped" are personal favourites.

Believe is worth picking up if you see it going cheap. It's an entertaining listen for sure. I'm assuming they improved even more with their later albums? I don't buy half as many CDs as I should nowadays with DVDs and that taking most of my money.
Old 29th November 2008, 06:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Cloud's more into 'thigh slapping music' rather than the hardcore, all out, hard as nails music that appeals to our good sleeves Hal.
Aint that right Cloud, you secret slapper you.! hehehehe
Shhhh, you're giving me away. Oh sod it I admit it. I'm a secret knee-slapper. I'm the Nine Below Zero fan and Vips is into the music I claim to like. I would have admitted it earlier but I was too tired to type it out. I guess it was because I WAS UP ALL NIGHT, DOOOWN BY THE RIVVVEEERRR. Sore eyes and even sorer knees!
Old 29th November 2008, 09:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

LOL!
Excellent Post Cloud.

BTW, I've been listening to the adds for Gun's n Roses and I can honestly say that NBZ play enough harder style songs than some of the tunes on there.

Ok, NBZ are R'n'B and not metal but if you listen to a few eletric songs like 11 + 11 , Cant help my Self or L & N, you'll find out they blow away tunes like Paradise City etc.

I know the days of people bouncing about are gone at NBZ gids, but we do sing along and clap and shout during the harder tunes. Great experience as your whipped into a frenzy .
Old 29th November 2008, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Cloud a secret knee slapper eh? who'd have thought it, looks like you've been outed mate
What can I say vip's, I guess some people just aern't as hardcore as us, lol.

Try coming home from a gig with a black eye, busted lip and knuckles swollen about 2 inches bigger than they should be, talk about being whipped into a frenzy I've been to some insane gigs in my time. Unfortuantely those days are over now I just cant hack it anymore. After knocking back about 12 pints of Stella I decided to jump into the pit at this years Ghostfest and boy did I suffer for it. It took me about two days just to get my breath back! Must be getting old.

Last edited by Halloween_22; 30th November 2008 at 12:02 AM.
Old 29th November 2008, 11:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
I don't know how you can listen to it. You've heard one Metalcore band and you've heard 'em all . Some Post-Hardcore is quite good though. Dead Poetic and early GlassJAw in particular.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of post hardcore aswell. Funeral for a Friend and Hopesfall being my personal fav's.

I couldn't really tell you to be honest about Disturbed's later releases. Like I said, I've heard bits and bobs but thats about it really. There's some decent tracks on 'Ten Thousand Fists', the song 'Stricken' is an absolute belter if you fancy checking that out, I love that song. As for their new album (I forget it's name) I haven't heard anything off it as of yet.
Old 30th November 2008, 10:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Alright then I'll YouTube those NBZ songs after the Manchester derby. I must get a lighter out and do a bit of stretching first ready for all that arm waving .

I've heard Stricken actually. I agree it is a good song.

So you had chance to listen to GnR's new material yet? I'm surprised you're not a fan. You're only a year or 2 younger than me and GnR were one of my most played bands when I was in primary school and first getting into music. Also Axl Rose is such a great personality, my favourite frontman in fact.
Old 30th November 2008, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Stricken's my most played song on Guitar Hero 3 I think It's so satisfying.

I was always more inclined to alternative music as a youngster and I'd quite happily sit and watch their video's on the Kerrang! channel and stuff, I remember enjoying tunes like 'November Rain' and 'You Could Be Mine' and that when I was younger. I just never really felt passionate about them. It wasn't until I heard heavier stuff that I really got excited about music and became a real fan, around the age of 13 or 14 when I started discovering bands like Machine Head, Pantera, Fear Factory, Sepultura and the like.

Metallica are another band I've never been too fussed about, I don't mind some of their earlier stuff (Justice for all was by far their best album IMO) but rock music in general's just never really got me excited the way metal did.

I'll give G'N'R's new stuff a blast at some point tonight, I'm actually quite interested to hear what it's like what with it being 15 years in the making an' all

Like this? Share it using the links below!