Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree27166Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2008, 08:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I've yet to hear Down's new album but I really like their other two. Have you heard Phil's (other) old band Superjoint Ritual Cloud? If so what do you think to them?
Old 7th September 2008, 08:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Over The Under isn't quite as good as their other 2 albums imo but it's still bloody good. Be sure to go for the Digipak when you do buy it; it contains an additional song not shown on the tracklisting. I understand they're going to begin work on a 4th album shortly.

SJR were a very good band, it's a shame they split. It seems everything Anselmo touches turns to gold though that's debatable with Necrophagia!
Old 7th September 2008, 08:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Will do, cheers mate. Been meaning to pick up a copy for a while now.

Yeah, I loved Superjoint. Thought their 'Lethal Dose of American Hatred' album was superb. 'Use Once...' had it's moments aswell.

What was Phil's involvement with Necrophagia btw? Wasn't the vocalist was he? If so, I didn't know about that
Old 7th September 2008, 09:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

He was their guitarist for a while under the pseudonym of Anton Crowley. Not my favourite Anselmo project I must say but they're alright, they kind of lose their novelty after 3 or 4 tracks.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

By the way just to add my bit regarding Faith No More. They were always such a frustrating band, they did some really great stuff and some real crap. Listening to one of their albums was like opening a box of chocolates. That said, The Real Thing is a classic album and Angel Dust is rather jolly too.

To be honest I've always viewed Mike Patton's output to be erratic (to say the least).

What's the opinion on Mushroomhead? They're heavily influenced by FNM but have been harshly labelled as a rip off of Slipknot (wtf?) just because they wear masks. They're a band I like a lot.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:23 PM
Cult Rookie

viva la vida Coldplays new album love it and The Dark Knight score just fabulous
Old 10th September 2008, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post

What's the opinion on Mushroomhead? They're heavily influenced by FNM but have been harshly labelled as a rip off of Slipknot (wtf?) just because they wear masks. They're a band I like a lot.
Mushroomhead aern't bad at all. I quite like them. I haven't listened to them for a while now but I own their first two albums (XX and XIII) and they're both great. I agree, the comparisons with Slipknot are ridiculous, they sound completely different.

As for FNM, I know what you mean. There were a couple of albums that really weren't my cup of tea personally with the exception of the odd song or two. I love the band but 'King for a day, fool for a lifetime' and 'Album of the year' were very hit or miss.
Old 10th September 2008, 02:34 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Cant get enough y&t at the moment. Forgotten how bloody good this san francisco band were. Some great hard rockers,black tiger,open fire,hurricane,midnight in tokyo,rescue me and mean streak(lyricaly,very apt,considering my situation at the mo.) And the band that put the power in ballad. I believe in you, blows me away every time. Sheer class.

And as for dave meniketti's vocals....man,this guy can sing with a lot of power,and their touring in the next month or so..hmm..glasgow cathouse beckons.
Old 13th September 2008, 05:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Currently listening to Fear Factory's 'Obselete' album. Crazy to think this came out nearly eight years ago, it sounds fresher and more original than most stuff coming out now. One of the greatest metal albums of all time without doubt IMO, not to mention one of the greatest concept albums. It's got everything, crushing tech-heavy brutality (Shock, Edgecrusher), haunting melody (Descent, Smasher/Devourer) and very thought provoking, moving lyrics (Securiton-Police State 2000, Freedom or Fire, Resurrection). I don't use the term lightly but this really is a masterpiece. One of the best bands I've ever seen live aswell, second only to the mighty Machine Head.
Old 13th September 2008, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Am I the only one hear to have heard of Nine Below Zero.?
These guy's are true legends, and while i've seen many bands live, NBZ are the only band i'd bother to still go see live any time they play N. Ire.
They've got it all, a sexy, cool front man, the best harp blower in Europe, plus a real tight bass and drum section.
Put these 4 together on stage and its the most intense, pleasurable experience that man can ever know , with or without his clothes on.!

Like this? Share it using the links below!