Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Music (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)
-   -   What Are You Listening To? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/music/534-what-you-listening.html)

cloud 25th June 2008 04:14 PM

What Are You Listening To?

I thought I'd start my own music thread (or mo-sai as I like to call it to sound all cosmopolitan and shit :D). Admittedly since DVD came in and downloading became fashionable I don't buy as many CDs as I once did. I don't download full albums unless they're OOP and going for silly money. I always download maybe 2 or 3 album tracks just to keep me entertained until I buy the full thing. For me downloading is all about sampling, I never feel like I own the thing until I have the CD, I'm very fussy like that.

My own music taste is mainly centred around metal and alternative music. I HATE pop, (c)rap, fuddy duddy dad music like Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan and The Beatles etc (no offence to those who do like that sort of stuff), emo and just anything that feels watered down and comes off a huge conveyor belt. Back as a kid and especially as a teen I listened to a lot of heavy stuff but now I find brutality gets on my tits. Maybe I'm mellowing out or maybe my ear is changing. I do like brutality but it has to have a bit of melody, without it it just feels pointless now.

At the moment I'm listening to Turquoise & Crimson by a wonderful little known band called VAST. They're very reflective, very downbeat and quite depressing, but they're very melodic and if the mood hits you there is no one better than them. Their singer/song writer Jon Crosby really is an excellent musician and should be up there with the greats imo.
Here's a song for anyone interested, it's called Touched, (Touched brings back happy memories for me :)), and here's another called Pretty When You Cry. Both are which are from their debut self titled NIN inspired album. Beautiful stuff.

So what do others listen to and so on?

vipco 25th June 2008 05:10 PM

I am looking forward to catching Nine Below Zero again in Belfast on August and have mainly been listing to their CD's and DVD's and U Tube stuff since their last visit in April.
I'll more than likely get to see them live again once more this year after August , probably in Germany, as its pretty safe there IMO for someone going into a strange venue alone.
So 90% of my music listening would be 9BZ, most of the other 10% would be 'the blues' .

TALL DUDE 2nd July 2008 06:27 PM

Right now im listening to the debut album from arc angel.
Released in 1983 with a very dubious single,tragedy,all about a girl thats "too young for my love." Hmmm.

Still,its a keyboard heavy fluffy masterpiece!:cool:

Matt 3rd July 2008 07:14 AM

At the gym this morning I settled on some AC/DC, Back In Black.

vipco 3rd July 2008 01:08 PM

Just got my copy of nbz 'On the Road Again' live 02 DVD, so i'll be watching / listening to that till I get 'Bring it on Home' live 07 DVD, in August

www.ninebelowzero.com/

Head to the ' Sights and Sounds ' section and have a listen. I reconmend, L & N on the Jukebox to sample what a live gig is like and why i've loved these guys for over 20 years.

bedorca 3rd July 2008 09:55 PM

Absolutely mad for a band called Ladytron at the moment

http://ladytron.nettwerk.com if you're interested

vipco 4th July 2008 10:51 AM

Theey're pretty cool bedorca. I liked the 'Ghosts' video, though the beetle lying upside down freeked me for some reason.
But the music was good.

TALL DUDE 9th July 2008 04:48 PM

Rock the bones-vol 5. A frontiers records label compilation,with some pretty cool and some not so cool bands.
Primal fear,pink cream 69,great white,fredriksen/delander,joe lyn turner,david readman and stan bush,among others keep me stereo rocking.

And of course,for the umteenth time,the trick or treat soundtrack.
Fastway never had a better moment than this,imo.;)

TALL DUDE 15th July 2008 07:37 PM

Anyone remember the rock band alien?
They had a song featured on the closing credits to the blob remake, brave new love.
Well,finally tracked down a cd of their debut album on amazon.com,and its a belter.If classy melodic rock is your boat,circa late 80's,you could do a lot worse than this!
And that song from the blob is also on it.Yowza!:cool:

Halloween_22 17th July 2008 03:42 PM

Always throw together a playlist to listen to while i'm on the computer, today's is:

Coffinspire -Norma Jean
Conspiracy - First Blood
Welcome To Sludge City - Annotations Of An Autopsy
Merciless Ignorance - Trigger The Bloodshed
Recovery - Still Remains
About A Plane Crash - Suicide Silence
Surrounded By Snakes - Centurion
End Of Days - Emilyrose
Before Atlantis There Was Douglasville - The Chariot
White Lillies For Your Deathbed - Clone The Fragile
The Bloodening - Johnny Truant
Severed Ties Yield Severed Heads - It Dies Today
A Cold Day In Hell - Parkway Drive
Lines Of Seperation - Dead Swans

gax 17th July 2008 10:18 PM

i mostly listen to soundtracks "house of 1000 corpses","Return of the living dead","Hardware" and "last house on the left" but my fave is "the wicker man" my neighbours must think im very weird listing to maypole and Sumer Is A-Cumen

dougal 18th July 2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 10091)
Always throw together a playlist to listen to while i'm on the computer, today's is:

Severed Ties Yield Severed Heads - It Dies Today

I'm guessing thisn't too reminiscent of 5-6-7-8 by Steps?

Philleh 18th July 2008 12:57 PM

I'm listening to Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' beautiful soundtracks for To Have and to Hold and The Assassination of Jesse James!

Yummy.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 18th July 2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gax (Post 10139)
i mostly listen to soundtracks "house of 1000 corpses","Return of the living dead","Hardware" and "last house on the left" but my fave is "the wicker man" my neighbours must think im very weird listing to maypole and Sumer Is A-Cumen

My kids know the words to all those songs....hope a neighbour doesn't report me to the social security.....:D

TALL DUDE 18th July 2008 05:54 PM

One of my sons had an iron maiden cd blasting out in the car today..dance of death.Pretty good stuff,with some very proggy overtones in some of the longer tracks.
And dickinson still has that air raid siren holler.
Pity there world tour only encapsulates one date in the uk..twickenham stadium.Rats cocks!!:mad:

Halloween_22 19th July 2008 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougal (Post 10172)
I'm guessing thisn't too reminiscent of 5-6-7-8 by Steps?

:rofl:

You could say that, yeah. :D

Not a huge fan of maiden personally but gotta respect them, they're still going strong now and the stuff they've brought out over the last couple of years has been some of their best yet. Saw them at Download festival last year and they can still put on one hell of a show too.

Mojo 29th July 2008 07:19 PM

This week I have mostly been listening to.. Too Much Too Young Too Fast by Airbourne. Feckin BRILLIANT! :cool:

TALL DUDE 30th July 2008 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 11317)
This week I have mostly been listening to.. Too Much Too Young Too Fast by Airbourne. Feckin BRILLIANT! :cool:

One of my fave bands at the mo.Old school rock and roll,and the title track is also a belter.

Mojo 31st July 2008 07:54 PM

It certainly is, dude.

Listened to the whole album and there isn't a duff track on it. Excellent stuff. :cool:

vipco 1st August 2008 06:56 AM

You should download a few nine below zero tunes and give them a listen, you won't be disapointed, especially their early live stuff.

Halloween_22 5th August 2008 12:13 AM

At the moment I'm listening to 36 Crazyfists newest album 'The Tide and it's Takers'. Picked it up when it came out but didn't really get round to listening to it then because I'd just got Johnny Truants 'No tears for the creatures' and I like to get to know a new album for a bit before I move onto another new one. If anyones a fan and hasn't heard it yet then I'd definatley recommend picking it up, they've been consistently brilliant since their first album and the new ones no exception.

Best tracks: 'Clear the coast' and 'The All night lights'

Philleh 5th August 2008 01:57 PM

Listening to:

Flyleaf - Flyleaf
Jamison Parker - Sleepwalker
Red Jumpsuit Apperatus - Don't you fake it
Receiving End of Sirens - Between the heart and the synapse
Armour for Sleep - What to do when your dead
Glassjaw - Everything you wanted to know about silence

Halloween_22 5th August 2008 10:06 PM

Hey man, are Receiving end of sirens any good? (I know that's a stupid question seen as your listening to therefore obviously think they are :D) It's just I've been meaning to check them out for ages, heard some good stuff about them.

My post-work stress relief playlist tonight consists of:

It Dies Today - Sentiments of You
Parkway Drive - Guns for Show, Knives for a Pro
Pig Destroyer - Gravedancer
Shai Hulud - Solely Concentrating on the Negative aspects of Life
Blood Has Been Shed - Greetings From The Gallows
Martyr Defiled - Condoning Inoculation
Azriel - Versus
Poison The Well - 12/23/93
Converge - Forsaken
As I Lay Dying - Distance is Darkness

Think that should do the trick

Philleh 6th August 2008 07:20 AM

Hey buddy, I'm a fan of REoS. Have been for a little while - wish they'd release an new album already!

Check out these tracks from Between the Heart and the Synapse:
Broadcast Quality
Planning a Prison Break
The Rival Cycle
The Evidence
The Armistice

These are the tracks I find myself listening to most... after two years of killing the damn CD! :)

Halloween_22 6th August 2008 11:59 AM

Great stuff Philleh, just listened to Planning a Prison Break and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've seen 'Between the heart and synapse' in HMV before but never got round to listening to them, think I'll be picking up a copy of that next time i'm in there.

Philleh 6th August 2008 12:12 PM

Glad you enjoyed it dude!

Today I've been listening to
Anberlin - Cities
Brooklyn Zu - Chamber #9!

Halloween_22 30th August 2008 01:26 PM

Two fantastic albums that have pretty much lived in my CD player for the past couple of weeks 'Messengers' by August Burns Red and 'Atlantic' by UK upstarts Many Things Untold. If anyone likes their music heavy (and i mean HEAVY) then check out 'Back Burner' by August and 'Mark My Words' by MTU. Awesome stuff :woot:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 30th August 2008 01:41 PM

EVIL DEAD: THE MUSICAL!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't get enough of it! Check it out on youtube or someplace. You'll luv it too I bet

:)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 30th August 2008 03:59 PM

Oh, I've also got the song 'God Gave Rock And Roll To You' stuck in my head, by Kiss + Steve Vai!

Fantastic song!!!!!!!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 30th August 2008 07:12 PM

Classic FM smooth relaxing tracks.....;)

Halloween_22 31st August 2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 12876)
Oh, I've also got the song 'God Gave Rock And Roll To You' stuck in my head, by Kiss + Steve Vai!

Fantastic song!!!!!!!

Watched 'Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey' recently by any chance ;)
Yeah, great song. Don't mind some KISS now and again (only really their 80's stuff though)

Halloween_22 31st August 2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 12900)
Classic FM smooth relaxing tracks.....;)

Don't mind some Classical either although I have to be in the right mood. Very fond of Bach's 'Air on the G-String' and Pachelbel's 'Canon (In D-Minor)' :D Perfect if you just wanna kick back and relax.

bedorca 31st August 2008 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halloween_22 (Post 12937)
Watched 'Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey' recently by any chance ;)
Yeah, great song. Don't mind some KISS now and again (only really their 80's stuff though)

Faith No More's The Perfect Crime on the BATBJ soundtrack is one of my most favourite songs ever

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st August 2008 09:22 PM

Best of Morriconne....:cool:

bedorca 31st August 2008 09:24 PM

Nah

Claudio Simonetti for me :cool:

Halloween_22 31st August 2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bedorca (Post 12944)
Faith No More's The Perfect Crime on the BATBJ soundtrack is one of my most favourite songs ever

Both the Bill & Ted films have great soundtrack's. 'In Time' by Robbie Robb on the first one is a great song aswell.
Love Faith No More, although only after Mike Patton joined. Their album 'The Real Thing' is a real classic. Fantastic album. :cool:

vincenzo 31st August 2008 11:36 PM

InFlight Entertainment

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 1st September 2008 10:06 AM

How did you guess I've watched Bill & Ted? lol! Yeah - I love those films!!!!

The best song in the first one IMO, is "Two heads are better than one" by Power Tools

Halloween_22 1st September 2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvdvds (Post 12967)
How did you guess I've watched Bill & Ted? lol! Yeah - I love those films!!!!

Just a hunch ;)

I've got a soft spot for 80's music. Don't know why (I was only born towards the back end of the 80's so it's a bit before my time) but there's just something about it. Had an 80's rewind station on at work today, was loving it :D Had classics from Fine Young Cannibals, Heart :blush: (Gotta love those power ballads) , Simple Minds to name a few. Excellent stuff! LOL.

TALL DUDE 2nd September 2008 09:33 AM

Recently bought southside from scots band,texas.
Had this on cassette years back,and rediscovering it now,big time. Fantastic album,with the haunting fool for love and tell me why stand out tracks.

If you like a bit of pop-rock,you can do a lot worse than this!;)