Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3086Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th July 2017, 12:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I seem to think that Metal Hammer were more inclusive than Kerrang was, they seem to concentrate only on the current fad.
I was only reading Terroriser anyway lol.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 24th July 2017, 01:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I seem to think that Metal Hammer were more inclusive than Kerrang was, they seem to concentrate only on the current fad.
I was only reading Terroriser anyway lol.
Not when the albums i mentioned came out you weren't.
Old 24th July 2017, 01:15 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Not when the albums i mentioned came out you weren't.
No, I can't remember when it started but it would have been 1993-94 (it was when I still lived with my mum) I wasn't reading either Kerrang or Metal Hammer though either

Old 26th July 2017, 09:35 AM
Cult Veteran

I've picked up the 90's issue today and had a scan through, kind of ignores grunge apart from a feature about Alice in Chains, and some quotes by the likes of Biohazard and Machine Head who claimed they 'weren't afraid of grunge'.

There is also a feature about the rise of Norwegian Black Metal which wasn't featured on the highlights on the front, it's 4-5 pages plenty of pictures. Also in the back section which features the more underground music was a feature about 'alternative' black metal which talks about Ulver, In The Woods..., Fleurety which are 3 of my favourite bands from back then!

Worth picking up for sure! The CD has cover versions of contemporary bands doing 90s classics. I'm looking forward to hearing Enslaved doing Faith No More's Jizzlobber!

Old 26th July 2017, 10:33 AM
Cult Addict

i used to read terrorizer years ago, kinda gave up on it after a while but i did discovered this on the 1st issue i ever got

didn't even know Peel was a fan of Napalm Death
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th July 2017, 10:41 AM
Cult Veteran

John Peel did so much for the exposure of Earache Records, he had them all on doing sessions, Carcass did 2 I think, Napalm did a few.

I looked up the starting date of Terrorizer as I remember buying the 1st issue, it cost £1.95, October 1993, I was 16
bleakshaun likes this.

Old 26th July 2017, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I think he helped them get recognition
bleakshaun likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th July 2017, 10:57 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I've picked up the 90's issue today and had a scan through, kind of ignores grunge apart from a feature about Alice in Chains, and some quotes by the likes of Biohazard and Machine Head who claimed they 'weren't afraid of grunge'.

There is also a feature about the rise of Norwegian Black Metal which wasn't featured on the highlights on the front, it's 4-5 pages plenty of pictures. Also in the back section which features the more underground music was a feature about 'alternative' black metal which talks about Ulver, In The Woods..., Fleurety which are 3 of my favourite bands from back then!

Worth picking up for sure! The CD has cover versions of contemporary bands doing 90s classics. I'm looking forward to hearing Enslaved doing Faith No More's Jizzlobber!
I don't have any Ulver but was impressed you mentioned In The Woods and Fleurety. Omnio and Department of Apocalyptic Affairs are my picks from them.

I think i got them both via mail order from Supernal or Alice's Records.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th July 2017, 11:10 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I don't have any Ulver but was impressed you mentioned In The Woods and Fleurety. Omnio and Department of Apocalyptic Affairs are my picks from them.

I think i got them both via mail order from Supernal or Alice's Records.
We were lucky in Liverpool with Probe records, you could go in there and come out with some of the most obscure European releases, especially in the mid-90s. I also used to mailorder directly from Peaceville and Misanthropy records, and of course buying from stalls at gigs.

Old 26th July 2017, 11:16 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We used to have 5 record shops in Halifax (only one of which wasn't independent: Andy's Records), now we have one and it's still just as good now as it was in the early 90's when I first started collecting vinyl

Their metal section is huge!
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!