Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree1957Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2101  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:35 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I didnít think that Women in Uniform clip was from Top of the Pops, I just thought it was a promo video that they did.
As for Man on the Edge, no I never saw it because I lost interest in them when Blaze joined because I never liked Wolfbane and (at the time) I wasnít a fan of the stuff he did with Maiden, Iíve since grown to like both albums, but prefer the songs sung by Bruce on Rock in Rio etc

So to summarise, I was unbelievably wrong in thinking 1980 was the only time they appeared on the show, but thatís more down to the fact I rarely watched TOTP, not my extensive knowledge from the band
I can't believe you didn't like Man on the Edge back then? I couldn't wait to see that performance when it aired as an exclusive.

I loved it. A terrific taster and first single for the album. It was the rest of The X-Factor that sucked.
Rik likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2102  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:37 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I can't believe you didn't like Man on the Edge back then? I couldn't wait to see that performance when it aired as an exclusive.

I loved it. A terrific taster and first single for the album. It was the rest of The X-Factor that sucked.
Me too! I have the 12" picture disc, i listened to it recently, I went to that tour as well, I was so excited to see Maiden I wasn't even bothered it wasn't Bruce! I might go on that setlists website and see what the set list was for the tour, I get the feeling it wasn't loads of tracks from The X-Factor, but it was 21 years ago... I can't remember that far back haha
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________


Er, Mr. Payne. Sir. You know every second that you could let us out early would really increase our chances of survival.

Reply With Quote
  #2103  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:38 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Me too! I have the 12" picture disc, i listened to it recently, I went to that tour as well, I was so excited to see Maiden I wasn't even bothered it wasn't Bruce! I might go on that setlists website and see what the set list was for the tour, I get the feeling it wasn't loads of tracks from The X-Factor, but it was 21 years ago... I can't remember that far back haha
I remember their support on the X-Factour at Manchester Apollo - My Dying Bride.
Justin101 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2104  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:38 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is offline
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I can't believe you didn't like Man on the Edge back then? I couldn't wait to see that performance when it aired as an exclusive.



I loved it. A terrific taster and first single for the album. It was the rest of The X-Factor that sucked.

TBH, Iíd fallen out of love with heavy music back then during the rise of Britpop and guitar based Indie music and was listening to more stuff like the Stone Roses, the Verve, CAST, the Bluetones, Marion, Sleeper etc.
I didnít get back into metal until about 2000 (around the time Bruce and Adrian rejoined Maiden) and now I rarely listen to any Indie music.
Man on the Edge is a cracking song though and like you say, easily the best on the album
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #2105  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:41 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Apparently they played 7 of the 11 songs on that tour

Man on the Edge
Wrathchild
Heaven Can Wait
Lord of the Flies
Fortunes of War
Blood on the World's Hands
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
The Evil That Men Do
The Aftermath
Sign of the Cross
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Edge of Darkness
Fear of the Dark
The Clairvoyant
Iron Maiden

Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
The Trooper
Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
__________________


Er, Mr. Payne. Sir. You know every second that you could let us out early would really increase our chances of survival.

Reply With Quote
  #2106  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:44 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
TBH, Iíd fallen out of love with heavy music back then during the rise of Britpop and guitar based Indie music and was listening to more stuff like the Stone Roses, the Verve, CAST, the Bluetones, Marion, Sleeper etc.
I didnít get back into metal until about 2000 (around the time Bruce and Adrian rejoined Maiden) and now I rarely listen to any Indie music.
Man on the Edge is a cracking song though and like you say, easily the best on the album
On the whole metal was shit back then. Grunge and then Nu-Metal spoiled everything for me.

All the bands i liked were suddenly there to be mocked by mags like Kerrang! and Metal Hammer - in favour of miserable shoegazers who are all dead now.

Thank heavens for Oasis (Who you don't rate if i recall) and chick country rock.
Rik likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #2107  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:45 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I remember their support on the X-Factour at Manchester Apollo - My Dying Bride.
Were you down the front? We probably stood next to each other I remember being really excited for My Dying Bride having been a fan for years but the rest of the audience weren't bothered.
__________________


Er, Mr. Payne. Sir. You know every second that you could let us out early would really increase our chances of survival.

Reply With Quote
  #2108  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:47 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Were you down the front? We probably stood next to each other I remember being really excited for My Dying Bride having been a fan for years but the rest of the audience weren't bothered.
Up on the friggin' balcony. Couldn't believe it. Never been there before or since.
Reply With Quote
  #2109  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:49 PM
Rik's Avatar
Rik Rik is offline
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Halifax,UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post



Thank heavens for Oasis (Who you don't rate if i recall) and chick country rock.

No, I like Oasis (first few albums anyway), my first band used to do covers of Oasis tracks mixed in with our own stuff, I even skipped school to queue up for Whatís the story? on release day

Iím not a fan of Liam Gallaghers solo stuff though, which might be what youíre thinking of, or Noelís tbh and the less said about Beady Eye the better
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
__________________
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Reply With Quote
  #2110  
Old 22nd February 2018, 12:52 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

All the bands i liked were suddenly there to be mocked by mags like Kerrang! and Metal Hammer - in favour of miserable shoegazers who are all dead now.
Not that i don't like the bands now. I do, but they just seemed to come from nowhere at the time and ruin everything. Gone were the fun and outrageous stage shows and in came statues in check shirts who had no idea how to use pyro.
Rik likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.