Like Tree3083Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th April 2020, 02:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Kerrang! Not entirely impressed by the new Nightwish album... I'm having a listen myself and will report back later.

https://www.kerrang.com/reviews/albu...-hvman-natvre/
Metal Hammer gave it 9/10.

Wouldn't be down to the fact that Metal Hammer had them on the cover and Kerrang! didn't perhaps? (I don't know if they were on a recent K cover, just speculating) plus the fact Kerrang! is for a younger audience that might not appreciate such elf rock intricacies as Nightwish.
Old 10th April 2020, 02:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm afraid that I wasn't impressed either, it's not a very exciting album. It goes a long way to describe my opinion of it when Noise, a song I was 100% nonplussed about when it first appeared is by far the stand-out track on the album.

However, the best 'moment' of the album is the soprano vocal in the closing few minutes of Shoemaker. Worst song on the album in my opinion being Tribal which I just didn't get, sounds nothing like Nightwish and had a very odd mid section with the band grunting...

As for the Orchestral suite, Kerrang! hit the nail on the head, it's just boring, nice melodies etc and performed very well, but it's not a piece that demands any attention, it's quite superficial.

Not the worst album I've heard, far from it, it's a good record, it's just not a good record by Nightwish standards. Endless Forms... is miles and miles ahead of this one. I don't think they're ever going to top The Greatest Show On Earth.
I haven't heard the album just the singles. Noise was extremely average, sounded like a load of riffs and harmonies lifted from earlier songs. Whereas the second single was better but sounded nothing like Nightwish. I am of the impression that generally all the recent Nightwish albums sound quite similar.

This never affected Motorhead but they weren't trying to write a score for Lord of the Rings (Cheers K!)
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th April 2020, 02:55 PM
Cult Veteran

I agree that since Tarja 'left' the band the output has sounded very similar, and this doesn't stray too far from the path which perhaps is why it feels disappointing? By the way, the 'soundtrack' is less Lord of the Rings and more daytime TV 'real-life' drama...

EDIT - I always knew that Metal Hammer would give this a positive review, like you know that Empire will always give the new Blockbuster at least 4/5 when everyone knows it's a duffer

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th April 2020, 02:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I agree that since Tarja 'left' the band the output has sounded very similar, and this doesn't stray too far from the path which perhaps is why it feels disappointing? By the way, the 'soundtrack' is less Lord of the Rings and more daytime TV 'real-life' drama...

EDIT - I always knew that Metal Hammer would give this a positive review, like you know that Empire will always give the new Blockbuster at least 4/5 when everyone knows it's a duffer
Did you continue with your Metal Hammer subscription?

I did. Thought i might as well seeing as i've nothing to do for months.
Old 10th April 2020, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you continue with your Metal Hammer subscription?

I did. Thought i might as well seeing as i've nothing to do for months.
I didn't, I found that I never read the last three issues even though there were loads of articles that I was interested, got so many other streams of interests going on that I never found the time

Old 10th April 2020, 04:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Well, first listen of the new album. Out in the sun with the headphones on.

First impressions. It was good though nothing that really stood out apart from 'Music'.
Really nothing that would have you jumping around at a concert. Only a few tracks that could be concert material I think. Nothing that is going to go down in the classic nightwish list.
This was the first listen so maybe tracks will grow on me better.

As for the music suite. Yeah, could have it on in the background for chill out. I can see what idea is, of thinking of all the different things in nature as you listen.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th April 2020, 08:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
However, the best 'moment' of the album is the soprano vocal in the closing few minutes of Shoemaker.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th April 2020, 08:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
She does have absolutely fantastic control of her vocal chords. Have you seen the video of her doing Phantom of the Opera on the Dutch TV show Beste Zangers? It's completely out of this world, and performed live!
Dave Boy likes this.

Old 10th April 2020, 08:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, seen that. I have seen quite few of them.
I do love seeing Floor away from Nightwish for a change.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 11th April 2020, 10:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

First impressions. It was good though nothing that really stood out apart from 'Music'.

This was the first listen so maybe tracks will grow on me better.
What a difference a day makes. I have listened to NIGHTWISH:HUMAN:NATURE multiple times now.
Listened to it properly, my full attention. Watched all the lyric videos as well.
I am really liking this album now after my initial disappointment yesterday.

Like this? Share it using the links below!