Like Tree3086Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2020, 09:38 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
He couldn't sing to save his life, but as an entertainer he was one of the best. Because Portsmouth Guildhall is a smallish venue, we didn't really get anything in the way of theatrics, but we did get the comedy patter. I remember that the main Dave rap was about the first time Van Halen came to England, and the Bob Marley poster!

I agree. Panama, Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Ice Cream Man and Jump were fun, but I was disappointed he didn't do Hot For Teacher or Yankee Rose. Can't remember who the guitarist was, but I don't think it was Steve Vai
Yeah, Vai left following Skyscraper unfortunately. I saw his with Roth at Donington but he was long gone by the time i saw him in Manchester.

The name Joe rings a bell as the name of his guitarist (not Satriani) i'll have to look it up.
Old 7th October 2020, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, Vai left following Skyscraper unfortunately. I saw his with Roth at Donington but he was long gone by the time i saw him in Manchester.

The name Joe rings a bell as the name of his guitarist (not Satriani) i'll have to look it up.
Not Joe, but Jason. Jason Becker. I looked it up.
Old 8th October 2020, 06:13 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Can't remember who the guitarist was, but I don't think it was Steve Vai
Quote:

Quote:
Not Joe, but Jason. Jason Becker. I looked it up.
It seems you are right on both counts

From the wikipedia page for Jason Becker:

"At the age of 20, he joined David Lee Roth's band to work on Roth's album A Little Ain't Enough, replacing Steve Vai, who had joined Whitesnake. In 1990 Becker won the coveted Best New Guitarist award from Guitar Magazine. While preparing for the album, Becker began to feel what he called a "lazy limp" in his left leg. He was soon diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS; Lou Gehrig's disease) and was given three to five years to live. He finished the recording using lighter (thinner) gauge guitar strings and other techniques, which made it easier for him to play with his weakening hands. Although he managed to finish the album, which was released in 1991, he did not join the supporting tour due to his inability to perform on stage; former Lizzy Borden guitarist Joe Holmes took Becker's place on tour. "
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 9th October 2020, 05:12 PM
Cult Master

October 9th, 1990 - Slayer's album 'Seasons In The Abyss' was released 30 years ago today

Old 9th October 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Slayer's best album ^
Justin101 likes this.
Old 10th October 2020, 12:38 PM
Cult Veteran

This popped up on my Youtube.

Some legend has edited together loads of bootlegs from 86-87 to make a complete concert of the Somewhere in Time tour Obviously picture and sound quality is not 100% due to the source material but it looks pretty impressive still.

Rik and Susan Foreman like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th October 2020, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Although not in the top 100 albums this week (because they are basically bollocks due to streaming by the sheep) the top 100 for physical album sales has -

Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment # 89

Enslaved - Utgard # 47

Amaranthe - Manifest # 43

The rest of the top 100 physical sales chart includes - Bon Jovi, Corey Taylor, Deftones, Marillion, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Nirvana, Marilyn Manson and Nickelback.

https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...-albums-chart/

Physical sales will be more important to an artist than how many times a song or album is streamed for little revenue or even free.
Old 10th October 2020, 05:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This popped up on my Youtube.

Some legend has edited together loads of bootlegs from 86-87 to make a complete concert of the Somewhere in Time tour Obviously picture and sound quality is not 100% due to the source material but it looks pretty impressive still.

I watched this a few weeks back, meant to post it here in response to the conversation about there not being a DVD of this tour but totally forgot

This is the best we’re gonna get unfortunately
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th October 2020, 06:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Just a heads up that Rob Halford's new book is available in Asda stores for a tenner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61VdKsBDwxL.jpg (96.4 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st October 2020, 11:59 AM
Cult Master

April fool

Oh wait - it's October!

Miley Cyrus working on Metallica covers album / Planet Rock

"Pop singer Miley Cyrus has confirmed she’s working on an album of Metallica covers.

The 27-year-old singer previously covered Metallica’s timeless rock ballad ‘Nothing Else Matters’ during her Pyramid Stage set at Glastonbury 2019 and now she’s working on a full record.

"We've been working on a Metallica cover album. We're so lucky to be able to continue to work on our art during all of this. At first, it felt uninspiring and now I've been totally ignited.""

Like this? Share it using the links below!