Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree3083Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2011, 07:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Just read this on Metal Hammer's website. - Lady Gaga's love of Maiden and metal.

Yeah, we said it. Lady Gaga went to see Iron Maiden and, whilst talking about the show, summed up how communal metal can be. Elitist dickheads, please bring a pencil and take notes.
Whilst attending a show on Iron Maiden’s current world tour, Lady Gaga has managed to sum up how awesome the feeling of a metal show (and the metal community at large) can be in a world lacking internet trolls, moaners and elitist metaulz nazis.

Her full quote (it’s a bit lengthy but, then again, she’s a lady with a lot to say) comes from a Rolling Stone audio interview (transcription via Blabbermouth): “I went to see Iron Maiden the other night, and I actually watched the show from a box and we were laughing as we walked — it was me and my two best friends… as we were walking into the box, we had a bunch of drinks, we were all going, ‘This is so not metal, to be in a box.’ [laughs] So we watched most of the show from the box and then we were gonna go meet the band. And we went down during ‘The Number Of The Beast’. And when we got there, I grabbed Lady Starlight and I said, ‘Let’s go,’ and we just booked it into the centre of the crowd.”

“We were dancing and singing and everyone was just so into it,” Gaga continues. “And it was one of the first times I’ve been able to just be at a rock concert in a long time. People did recognize me, but it was so kind and warm and awesome. I mean, Iron Maiden is all about, ‘We don’t care who our fans are. We love everybody.’ ”

“I guess what I’m trying to say is the devotion of the fans moving in unison, pumping their fists, watching the show, when I see that, I see the paradigm for my future and the relationship I want to have with my fans. Iron Maiden’s never had a hit song, and they tour stadiums around the world, and their fans live, breathe and die for Maiden, and that is my dream. That is my dream.”

“And not only that, but when we got into the crowd, there was no pretension. I’m a pop singer — I didn’t know what it would be like in a crowd of a Maiden fans; everybody was hugging me, high-fiving, fistpumps in the air… ‘Oh, it’s so cool you’re at Maiden.’ Jumping and dancing…I mean, it was like absolute no judgment, no prejudice, freedom and love for music. It doesn’t matter who you are; you don’t need to know anything about music to love it. And it was just so… It was just awesome… Maiden changed my life.”

So there you go. Lady Gaga gets it.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:00 AM
Cult Addict

Now that's cool. Who would of thought it?
Old 3rd June 2011, 11:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Just read this on Metal Hammer's website. - Lady Gaga's love of Maiden and metal.

Yeah, we said it. Lady Gaga went to see Iron Maiden and, whilst talking about the show, summed up how communal metal can be. Elitist dickheads, please bring a pencil and take notes.
Whilst attending a show on Iron Maiden’s current world tour, Lady Gaga has managed to sum up how awesome the feeling of a metal show (and the metal community at large) can be in a world lacking internet trolls, moaners and elitist metaulz nazis.

Her full quote (it’s a bit lengthy but, then again, she’s a lady with a lot to say) comes from a Rolling Stone audio interview (transcription via Blabbermouth): “I went to see Iron Maiden the other night, and I actually watched the show from a box and we were laughing as we walked — it was me and my two best friends… as we were walking into the box, we had a bunch of drinks, we were all going, ‘This is so not metal, to be in a box.’ [laughs] So we watched most of the show from the box and then we were gonna go meet the band. And we went down during ‘The Number Of The Beast’. And when we got there, I grabbed Lady Starlight and I said, ‘Let’s go,’ and we just booked it into the centre of the crowd.”

“We were dancing and singing and everyone was just so into it,” Gaga continues. “And it was one of the first times I’ve been able to just be at a rock concert in a long time. People did recognize me, but it was so kind and warm and awesome. I mean, Iron Maiden is all about, ‘We don’t care who our fans are. We love everybody.’ ”

“I guess what I’m trying to say is the devotion of the fans moving in unison, pumping their fists, watching the show, when I see that, I see the paradigm for my future and the relationship I want to have with my fans. Iron Maiden’s never had a hit song, and they tour stadiums around the world, and their fans live, breathe and die for Maiden, and that is my dream. That is my dream.”

“And not only that, but when we got into the crowd, there was no pretension. I’m a pop singer — I didn’t know what it would be like in a crowd of a Maiden fans; everybody was hugging me, high-fiving, fistpumps in the air… ‘Oh, it’s so cool you’re at Maiden.’ Jumping and dancing…I mean, it was like absolute no judgment, no prejudice, freedom and love for music. It doesn’t matter who you are; you don’t need to know anything about music to love it. And it was just so… It was just awesome… Maiden changed my life.”

So there you go. Lady Gaga gets it.

I agree but I still dislike Gaga.
Old 6th June 2011, 03:51 PM
Cult Addict

It's hard to think that it is now twenty years on from what I consider to be the pinnacle of metal IMO. I have always been a fan of death metal since hearing Venom back in the early'80s, but come 1991 it had developed into something far more technical. Mostly emerging from the legendary Morrisound studios in Florida there came a wave of the most amazing music that seemed to all appear in early ninties.

The Albums that I'm refering to are (in no particular order) Death - Human, Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick, Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious, Nocturnus - The Key, Obituary - Cause Of Death, Napalm Death - Mass Appeal Madness (12"), Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients and Atheist - Unquestionable Presence. These are all essential listening material to anybody interested in the harder side of metal.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 6th June 2011, 03:54 PM
Cult Addict

Some of my favourites from 1991.

Confessor - Condemned.

Sepultura - Dead Embryonic Cells.

C.O.C. - Dance Of The Dead.

Morbid Angel - Abominations/Desolate Ways.

Death - Flattening Of Emotions.

Napalm Death - Pride Assassin.

Last edited by mr 420; 6th June 2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:09 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I always preferred COC on the later albums. I still love the southern grooves of America's Volume Dealer best of all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-AVD.jpg (20.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 6th June 2011, 04:19 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I always preferred COC on the later albums. I still love the southern grooves of America's Volume Dealer best of all.
So sad that they never got the recognition that they deserved, but then again, there are a lot of bands for which you can say that for.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
So sad that they never got the recognition that they deserved, but then again, there are a lot of bands for which you can say that for.
Am i right in thinking that the current touring line up are only playing tracks off their early albums.?

Nothing from Deliverance onwards.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Am i right in thinking that the current touring line up are only playing tracks off their early albums.?

Nothing from Deliverance onwards.
I didn't even realise they were touring. It's ashame that Pepper doesn't seem to be doing the tour. That would of made it worth trying to get a ticket.
Old 6th June 2011, 04:36 PM
Cult Addict

Death metal with keyboards? It shouldn't work, but, by god, it does!

Nocturnus - Lake Of fire.

Like this? Share it using the links below!