Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3086Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th May 2013, 07:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

A lot of us on here are of a similar age, and if you were a metal fan you grew up with Slayer, these bands are your teenage friends in many cases - that's why we're saddened. I understand that we didn't personally know him but his life meant something to us and he will be missed.

Speaking ill of dead people leaves a bad taste in my mouth no matter if they were a good or bad person, especially in reference to a certain high profile death we had recently, the way the British public reacted to the death was disgraceful.

I'll point out that I'm not going to engage in any further discussion about this, but a man died, he meant a lot to a lot of people and whether or not you like him you should at least have a level of respect to let people mourn him in their own way.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th May 2013, 08:59 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
A lot of us on here are of a similar age, and if you were a metal fan you grew up with Slayer, these bands are your teenage friends in many cases - that's why we're saddened. I understand that we didn't personally know him but his life meant something to us and he will be missed.

Speaking ill of dead people leaves a bad taste in my mouth no matter if they were a good or bad person, especially in reference to a certain high profile death we had recently, the way the British public reacted to the death was disgraceful.

I'll point out that I'm not going to engage in any further discussion about this, but a man died, he meant a lot to a lot of people and whether or not you like him you should at least have a level of respect to let people mourn him in their own way.
(Note: The following lines are not only for Justin, but for all of you.)

So maybe Margeret Thatcher meant a lot to me...how would anyone of you know? I'm studying history and I'm not from the UK, so maybe I'm a little less biased than most people on this forum. I was not allowed to mourn her death without being told that I'm "not in the know" and that she was a "witch" who destroyed so many lives and did only evil things.

Now I dared to mention that Jeff Hanneman was (and Slayer in general are) a little bit too close to nazism (at least for my taste - and I'm definitely not alone on that one), and again I'm not entitled to my opinion and called a disrespectful person. I'm not speaking ill of him and I'm not posthumously calling him a Nazi (as I already said: I never met him) - just read my previous comments. I understand that he was a Metal icon for many of you, and you are entitled to mourn him in every way you like - that's for sure.

I just wanted to bring your general attitude into question: from all the comments on here, I would have guessed that Margaret Thatcher was the devil, and Jeff Hanneman was god. The truth is: both were human beings with merits and faults. That's all.

And now let's not turn this into a political issue, but simply go on.
Rik, Susan Foreman and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 4th May 2013, 10:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Fair enough Prince.
I've been a fan of Slayer ever since they played Donington Monsters of Rock 1992, I'd never heard them before that show and fell in love almost instantly. 18 months later I got my first guitar and besides all my favourite Iron Maiden & Metallica riffs and songs, Slayer songs like Dead Skin Mask, South of Heaven, Raining Blood and the non-Nazi sympathising Angel of Death were songs I aspired to learn.
There's a big list of guitarists who influence my particular style of playing (Hendrix, Page, Slash, Dave Murray, John Frusciante, John Squire, both Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman, Kirk Hammett to name a few), but none have helped me learn how to play fast, not exactly shredding, but still pretty fast, than messrs King & Hanneman and the Reign in Blood album in particular, so his death has greatly upset me, enough for me to try and sneak a few Slayer riffs into the 2 gigs I'm playing tomorrow

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with Slayer, but I would say that this crazy cat certainly is!

Hawkmonger likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th May 2013, 10:33 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman dead at 49, I'm actually ****ing gutted R.I.P

Slayer Guitarist Jeff Hanneman Dead at 49 | Billboard
Well, that's my day ruined.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2013, 10:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
(Note: The following lines are not only for Justin, but for all of you.)

So maybe Margeret Thatcher meant a lot to me...how would anyone of you know? I'm studying history and I'm not from the UK, so maybe I'm a little less biased than most people on this forum. I was not allowed to mourn her death without being told that I'm "not in the know" and that she was a "witch" who destroyed so many lives and did only evil things.

Now I dared to mention that Jeff Hanneman was (and Slayer in general are) a little bit too close to nazism (at least for my taste - and I'm definitely not alone on that one), and again I'm not entitled to my opinion and called a disrespectful person. I'm not speaking ill of him and I'm not posthumously calling him a Nazi (as I already said: I never met him) - just read my previous comments. I understand that he was a Metal icon for many of you, and you are entitled to mourn him in every way you like - that's for sure.

I just wanted to bring your general attitude into question: from all the comments on here, I would have guessed that Margaret Thatcher was the devil, and Jeff Hanneman was god. The truth is: both were human beings with merits and faults. That's all.

And now let's not turn this into a political issue, but simply go on.
Biased??? Don't stir up old hatred then with your simpering shite then PV. I know the rules of this forum, but can't let some things lie. Sorry it is just NOT in me to hear any defence of that C*NT. Bye then!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th May 2013, 10:41 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with Slayer, but I would say that this crazy cat certainly is!

Reminds me of the picture in one of the inserts to a Slayer CD (can't remember which one) and, of course, the Richie Edwards 'incident'!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg pic186.jpeg (6.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg pic187.jpg (85.7 KB, 2 views)
Rik likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th May 2013, 11:05 AM
Cultist

Divine Intervention... a similar incident is preserved in glorious technicolour motion on the War At The Warfield DVD
Rik and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 4th May 2013, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I remember reading about Richie Edwards doing that in the NME at the time, a few of my friends decided it would be a good idea to do something similar using their school compasses, idiots
I wasn't really a fan of the Manics back then as I am now, but I still wouldn't have done that!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th May 2013, 11:28 AM
Cultist

and PV, I don't see your logic... I don't think anyone deified Jeff just yet, just mourned the loss of an influence. I think most people would take it as read that any person, whether it be me, you, a politician, or a guitarist in a metal band, has good points and bad, without the need for it to be pointed out to them.

were it to be found that he kept books of diaries glorifying the views of Hitler, would it change my view of him? probably... but would it change the fact that he's been an indirect part of my existence for fifteen years? absolutely not
Rik and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 4th May 2013, 11:30 AM
Cultist

Quote:
I remember reading about Richie Edwards doing that in the NME at the time, a few of my friends decided it would be a good idea to do something similar using their school compasses, idiots
I wasn't really a fan of the Manics back then as I am now, but I still wouldn't have done that!
I'd puss out.... you can tattoo me all day long, but slice my skin and I'd be on the floor

incidentally, anyone see KK on the Golden Gods awards? I know people deal in different ways, but either he's known this has been coming for longer than the rest of us, or he's one callous douchebag

Like this? Share it using the links below!