Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2017, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Without a doubt

I’m a pretty accomplished bass player and I struggle with the majority of his bass lines, yet I can play some of Steve Harris’ more complicated stuff like Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Sacrilege maybe, but I’ve never really rated Keith Moon as a drummer (think I said it on here before), he was more of a showman unlike his contemporaries like Bonham, Ian Paice etc who are/were technically brilliant. Different strokes and all that.
As for Townshend, great guitarist and songwriter, but not as accomplished as the likes of Clapton, Hendrix, Page etc imo
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 4th November 2017, 06:01 PM
Cult Master

Keith was very unstructured. He's often likened to an octopus - lots of arms, just hitting anything and everything in sight. If you listen to other drummer of the time, he was very different. Ringo and Charlie Watts were regimental, laying down a steady (but standard) beat, while Keith was like a nuclear Armageddon! Just listen to the end of 'My Generation' for proof of this - punk, a good ten years before punk happened
Rik, Prince_Vajda and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th November 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Keith Moon definitely was some sort of showman, I agree. However, what really set him apart from most other drummers (and I decidely include Ian Paice and John Bonham, both of whom are excellent drummers I rate highly) is his incredibly raw energy and the dedication he puts into every single song.

There's one other thing I'd like to add. As a musical layman (I don't really play an instrument... I only used to play the drums a few years back, sporadically) I think Moon showed that musicality does not equal perfect musicianship.

What I mean: although quite a bit of his playing is all over the place and despite him deliberately ignoring almost any standard beat that has been agreed on within rock music, his drumming sounds great and touches me deeply... more deeply than Bonham's brute yet convincing drumming, and more deeply than Paice's precise thunder of drums. Perfection isn't everything. Moon keeps reminding me of a hybrid... one third drummer, one third conductor, one third impromptu-composer.

The Who still made good music after his death, but they have been a totally (!) different band ever since. With Entwistle gone as well, The Who today are merely a (good) band covering their own songs.

The following two songs illustrate what I tried to describe above.

The Who - I Don't Even Know Myself (live)

The Who - Pinball Wizard (live)
Old 4th November 2017, 07:49 PM
Cult Master

Keith Moon with Led Zeppelin

Very bad footage (so shaky it makes 'Blair Witch' look sophisticated), but as a single moment in rock history, this is invaluable

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd January 2024, 07:52 PM
Cult Master

I never did get around to posting part 3 and so much has changed since then I'm sure part 3 now would be totally different to part 3 now I must think on this now. Anyone want to add anything or have things changed for you at all.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm terrible at these kinds of things, I don't like to be tied down to a definite list of things I like. It's funny because when I think of favourite bands I would think of something like Nine Inch Nails or Iron Maiden, but I hardly ever listen to either of them these days.

Katatonia's latest album was my most played album of 2023 but I wouldn't consider them one of my favourite bands. Same with Leprous who was my most played in 2022, fantastic band but not one I'd consider a favourite.

Non-Metal though, It'd be quite easy to say Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, and Joanna Newsom. Easy oh, and the B-52s and The Cramps

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd January 2024, 08:38 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm terrible at these kinds of things, I don't like to be tied down to a definite list of things I like. It's funny because when I think of favourite bands I would think of something like Nine Inch Nails or Iron Maiden, but I hardly ever listen to either of them these days.

Katatonia's latest album was my most played album of 2023 but I wouldn't consider them one of my favourite bands. Same with Leprous who was my most played in 2022, fantastic band but not one I'd consider a favourite.

Non-Metal though, It'd be quite easy to say Joni Mitchell, Kate Bush, and Joanna Newsom. Easy oh, and the B-52s and The Cramps
The first two parts of my list were bands that made an impact on my life Nirvana and Sonic Youth I barely listen to anymore but their helped set me on my path so they will forever be important to me.
Old 23rd January 2024, 08:50 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
The first two parts of my list were bands that made an impact on my life Nirvana and Sonic Youth I barely listen to anymore but their helped set me on my path so they will forever be important to me.
That makes sense and NIN and Iron Maiden are definitely in that category for me, along with Sepultura!

Edit: And Darkthrone obviously, A Blaze in the Northern Sky literally changed everything for me lol

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd January 2024, 09:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That makes sense and NIN and Iron Maiden are definitely in that category for me, along with Sepultura!

Edit: And Darkthrone obviously, A Blaze in the Northern Sky literally changed everything for me lol
I bought A Blaze and Under a Funeral Moon in the same day so both albums changed my life in the same day
Justin101 likes this.
Old 23rd January 2024, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Since this thread was started and i posted the music world has changed so much. Half my favourite bands no longer exist - Kiss, Motorhead, Type O Negative, whilst another Motley Crue haven't released an album in decades.

I'll always pick up albums by Iron Maiden and other old favourites but until their recent album, Senjutsu, which incidentally is superb, i felt their quality had really gone off.

I'm more into albums than bands now i think with Metallica's 72 Seasons, Maiden's Senjutsu, AC/DC's Power Up and Ghost's Impera being the standouts of recent years for myself.

As far as current faves go i really like Ghost and The Pretty Reckless are another band who can do no wrong.

Like this? Share it using the links below!