Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2011, 11:15 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

David Bowie, Roxy Music, The Doors, Blur, Boogie Down Productions/KRS-One, Gangstarr, Bjork, Cypress Hill, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Public Enemy, Notorious BIG, LL Cool J, Ennio Morricone, Ramones, to name but a few.

I also like cheesy 80s pop and a lot of Italian soundtrack composers.
Pete likes this.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
David Bowie, Roxy Music, The Doors, Blur, Boogie Down Productions/KRS-One, Gangstarr, Bjork, Cypress Hill, Cat Stevens, Bob Dylan, Simon and Garfunkel, Public Enemy, Notorious BIG, LL Cool J, Ennio Morricone, Ramones, to name but a few.

I also like cheesy 80s pop and a lot of Italian soundtrack composers.
An eclectic mix there Paul.
Old 19th November 2011, 11:19 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Yeah, different music for different moods, mate.
Old 20th November 2011, 09:48 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
A few bands/musicians that float my boat.

RUDIMENTARY PENI. Originally lumped in with Crass and other bands of a similar stance and sound, Peni always had a darker gothic edge to them, not so much in the music but more in the lyrics and art work of singer Nick Blinko. I'm a total Blinko obsessive owning books and art work by the man along with the bands recordings. Stand out lp, "Cacophony" a punk prog concept lp based on the works and life of H.P.Lovecraft.

HANOI ROCKS. I confess to being a teenage glam rocker, it was such a breath of fresh air after constantly worrying about nuclear war and state control during the early 80s punk scene. You have no idea how radical I felt not wearing black all the time when I got into them. One of the best party bands ever. Favourite lp "Oriental Beat".

BIG BLACK/RAPEMAN/SHELLAC. Steve Albini as musician, is a God in our house. Difficult for me to pick one thing by the man but if push comes to shove then it's the Rapeman lp "Two Nuns and a Pack Mule".

LOVE. If you don't own "Forever Changes" shame on you. Go and buy it now, you'll be a better person for it.

HAWKWIND. Perhaps England's finest band, well up to 1975 anyway.

ELVIS. Forget the fat biffer in a white suit, even though some of his later stuff is great, check out his early stuff on Sun Records. The man was on fire, there is something so primal about these records along with a lot of other early rockabilly it's a shame that more people don't listen to the genre. Charlie Feathers is also well worth looking into.

DEXYS MIDNIGHT RUNNERS. Though they are today remembered mainly for wedding dance floor filler "Come On Ellen", Dexys first two lps are blinding bits of white UK soul music. One of the main things that make them so attractive to me is the passion and belief of Kevin Rowlands in his music and the transcendental nature of music in general. Few people are that honest. Of course he was mocked for it in the press. Oh and he was a bit of a twat at the time, so fair does. I like to think of Rowlands as one of England's great music eccentrics who lucked out and had chart hits with what on reflection is an odd idea:soul music with added banjo and irish fiddle.

COMPULSIVE GAMBLERS/OBLIVIANS/REIGNING SOUND. The three main bands of Greg Cartwright, 90s garage punk legend. A God in our house along with Albini. CG have a country waltz edge to some of their early stuff, Oblivians are out and out dumbass punk and RS alternate between howling guitars and some of the finest love songs ever written. As the great man Greg himself says on the live Oblivians lp, "Suffer motherfu*ker, suffer".

SHIRLEY COLLINS. England's greatest female folk singer. She's appeared with loads of different bands over the years including Current 93, but the couple of lps she did with her sister Dolly are amazingly bleak and mournful and thus highly recommended.

THE OWL SERVICE. A modern folk band who draw heavily on late 60s early 70s English folk bands. Some of the most beautiful music ever made. They also do a rather fine drone when not singing about wasselling and poachers. The main man is a Sunn O ))) fan.
Some great choices there, especially The Owl Service, who are brilliant & Greg Cartwright, who can do no wrong.

The band I'm in played an anniversary gig for the landlords of our favourite pub last night, & sneaked a cover of the Reigning Sound's "We Repel Each Other" into our set- though our version is a bit more chaotic than the original.
We also thought about reviving the Guitar Wolf cover we used to do, but I couldn't remember the bad translation of the Japanese lyrics that I did using babelfish!

And if anyone doesn't know who Guitar Wolf are, they should at least check out Wild Zero, the film they star in. The most gonzo,rock'n'roll zombie flick ever made, complete with drinking game whenever:
- there's an explosion
- a zombie's head pops
- someone combs their quiff
- someone shouts "Rock 'n' roll !!!!"

If I remember rightly (details are a bit ..err...foggy) there are occasions when all 4 happen in quick succession, requiring some swift glass draining!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/kissoffboardy
Old 20th November 2011, 10:50 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Favourite Artists / Bands

Pretty much the same artists i listed in fav albums,for me they've all stood the test of time,i certainly think these guys will last longer than anyone around today.
Johnny Cash,Nine Inch Nails,Joy Division,Dead Kennedys ,Nick Cave and the BAD SEEDS,The Cramps,The Ramones,The Misfits,Motörhead,The Damned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg johnny-cash.jpg (56.9 KB, 44 views)
Old 20th November 2011, 11:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's hard to pick my favourites but here's a list of some of the bands/artists I'm fond of, in no particular order.

Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
RATM
RHCP
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Machine Head
Pantera
The Doors
Shed 7
The Stone Roses
The Prodigy
The Music
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Ian Brown
Embrace
The Verve
Alice in Chains
Bob Dylan
Pink Floyd
Muse
Biffy Clyro
Radiohead
Manic Street Preachers
Guns n Roses
Slash
Velvet Revolver
The Smiths
Sepultura
In Echoes(a friends band)
I think that's about it off the top of my head

"They all float down here, they allll floaaaattt!!!"
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th November 2011, 11:22 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissoffboardy View Post
Some great choices there, especially The Owl Service, who are brilliant & Greg Cartwright, who can do no wrong.

The band I'm in played an anniversary gig for the landlords of our favourite pub last night, & sneaked a cover of the Reigning Sound's "We Repel Each Other" into our set- though our version is a bit more chaotic than the original.
We also thought about reviving the Guitar Wolf cover we used to do, but I couldn't remember the bad translation of the Japanese lyrics that I did using babelfish!

And if anyone doesn't know who Guitar Wolf are, they should at least check out Wild Zero, the film they star in. The most gonzo,rock'n'roll zombie flick ever made, complete with drinking game whenever:
- there's an explosion
- a zombie's head pops
- someone combs their quiff
- someone shouts "Rock 'n' roll !!!!"

If I remember rightly (details are a bit ..err...foggy) there are occasions when all 4 happen in quick succession, requiring some swift glass draining!

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk
What is your band called and can we hear them anywhere on the net?

Guitar Wolf also appeared in this no budget epic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoreLosers_cover_bootleg-1-220px.jpg (24.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sore-Losers-poster.jpg (101.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg VHS-cover-sore_losers_cover.jpg (45.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VHS-cover-TSL-German.jpg (74.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VHS-cover-TSL-vista1.jpg (54.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VHS-cover-TSL-vista2.jpg (56.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 20th November 2011, 01:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

This is a non-exclusive list of my favourite bands/artists with varying degrees of love and favouritism throughout:

The Prodigy
Metallica
Nirvana
Green Day
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Guns N’ Roses
The Pixies
Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Soundgarden
Blur
Foo Fighters
Rage Against The Machine
The Shins
Jimi Hendrix/the Jimi Hendrix Experience
Led Zepplin
Rolling Stones
Biffy Clyro
Florence and the Machine
Bob Dylan
Zero 7
The Clash
Athlete
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 21st November 2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 20th November 2011, 10:46 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
What is your band called and can we hear them anywhere on the net?

Guitar Wolf also appeared in this no budget epic.
Sore Losers is a trash culture classic & also features Jack Yarber from The Oblivians. Have you seen any other John Michael McCarthy films? Superstarlet AD is def worth getting hold of, and Broad Daylight, his burlesque loop DVD, has had tons of spins as a backdrop for nights when I've been DJing.

The band I'm in is called The Kiss Off and I've uploaded a couple of tracks to my Garage Punk Hideout page.The link is in my signature (the music player is in the bottom left corner of the profile page).

They are cheaply recorded and from a 3 year old album that hasn't come out yet - which pretty much sums up our ambition levels.

http://garagepunk.ning.com/profile/kissoffboardy
Old 20th November 2011, 11:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissoffboardy View Post
Sore Losers is a trash culture classic & also features Jack Yarber from The Oblivians. Have you seen any other John Michael McCarthy films? Superstarlet AD is def worth getting hold of, and Broad Daylight, his burlesque loop DVD, has had tons of spins as a backdrop for nights when I've been DJing.

The band I'm in is called The Kiss Off and I've uploaded a couple of tracks to my Garage Punk Hideout page.The link is in my signature (the music player is in the bottom left corner of the profile page).

They are cheaply recorded and from a 3 year old album that hasn't come out yet - which pretty much sums up our ambition levels.
Cheers for the link, sounding mighty fine. I'll look into the other McCarthy films, I've been out of the loop for a few years now since having kids and the money and time drain that comes with them. Garage Punk Hideout should keep me busy over these long winter nights. Thanks again.

Like this? Share it using the links below!