Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree132Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:36 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Reviving this one with another favourite...

"Coil was initially established in London in 1983 as an experimental solo outlet for ex-Psychic TV member John Balance, and became a full-fledged experimental sonic manipulation unit a year later following the arrival of keyboardist / programmer Peter Christopherson (Sleazy), a founder of Psychic TV as well as a member of Throbbing Gristle. After debuting with the 17-minute ritual recording How to Destroy Angels, Balance and Sleazy recruited the aid of Possession’s Stephen Thrower, J.G. “Foetus” Thirlwell, and The Virgin Prunes’ Gavin Friday to record their full-length 1984 bow Scatology, an intense, primal work of sculpted industrial noise thematically devoted to the concepts of alchemy and transmutation.

Coil spent the next period of its existence exploring visual media. In late 1984 they recorded a rendition of Tainted Love (originally recorded by Gloria Jones, but made popular by Soft Cell in the 80s), producing a widely banned, hallucinogenic video clip featuring Marc Almond as the Angel of Death; despite considerable controversy at home, the video ultimately found its way to the archives of the Museum of Modern Art. After spending several years working with filmmaker Derek Jarman on the feature The Angelic Conversation, Coil issued a remixed edition of their soundtrack. Following 1986’s Nightmare Culture, a collaboration with Boyd Rice produced as split release with Current 93, Christopherson and Balance invited Stephen Thrower to join the group in a full-time capacity. As a trio, they recorded 1986’s LP Horse Rotorvator, introducing orchestral, jazz, and middle Eastern textures into the mix; this album included The Anal Staircase.

In 1987, Coil issued The Unreleased Themes for Hellraiser, a collection of atmospheric gothic instrumentals commissioned for but ultimately cut from the Clive Barker horror film, followed by compilation album Gold Is the Metal (With the Broadest Shoulders), a remixed history of the group’s first several years of work. Unnatural History, another career overview, effectively ended the first phase of the band’s career in 1990; when Coil resurfaced a year later with Love’s Secret Domain, their music reflected the strong influence of the acid house culture. Another long layoff brought on by financial difficulties ended in 1995, when the group - now consisting of Sleazy, Balance, and Drew McDowell - signed to Nine Inch Nails’ Trent Reznor’s Nothing Records to release Backwards, an album which was never officially released, although it is available in a number of bootleg versions. Additionally, they recorded the LP Worship the Glitch, issued under the name Elph, and in 1996 cut A Thousand Lights in a Darkened Room as Black Light District.

In 1999 Coil started to work with Thighpaulsandra, and after years of refusal to do so, started to perform live. They released a number of albums containing the various shows they did in the period 2000 - 2004. Coil have released a lot of material in very limited editions, and have distributed certain records only at concerts. In 2003 they started a project to re-issue these tracks.

Jhonn Balance’s long-time struggle with alcoholism led to his death on 13th November, 2004. He fell from the second floor window at his home, while drunk, and died a short time after. Coil’s last live performance took place at Dublin’s City Hall on 23 October 2004 and is expected to appear on the forthcoming DVD box set “Colour Sound Oblivion”. A number of songs that were (as good as) ready were released in autumn 2005 as a last farewell to Jhonn.

Peter Christopherson passed away peacefully in his sleep on November 25, 2010. Instead of sending flowers in memory of Peter Christopherson, people were asked to donate money to help children affected by AIDS in Thailand, the country he loved and died in.
"

(source: last.fm)

Some of my favourite tracks:

Batwings (A Limnal Hymn) (Musick to Play in the Dark: Vol. 2)

Broccoli (Musick to Play in the Dark: Vol. 1)

Hellraiser: Main Titles (Hellraiser Themes)

Slur (Horse Rotorvator)

Tainted Love (Scatology)

Tattooed Man (The Ape of Naples)

Essential Albums:
- The Angelic Conversation
- The Ape of Naples
- Gold is the Metal (with the Broadest Shoulders)
- Hellraiser Themes
- Horse Rotorvator
- Moon's Milk (In Four Phases)
- Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1 & 2
- Scatology
Old 22nd July 2012, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post

I also like cheesy 80s pop and a lot of Italian soundtrack composers.
Me too!
Paul@TheOverlook likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 22nd July 2012, 11:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My favourite band ever is New Order. I think they're amazing and I never get bored of listening to them.

Favourite albums:

Power, Corruption & Lies
Republic
Low Life
Technique
Substance

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 9th July 2014, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Hey folks, recently i started listening to an album by a band (Much like Cult Lab's Rik) who were on a forum for retro video games. They are a little out of my usual taste in music but the lyrics worked well for me and i bought the album when i met the band at a gaming Expo. They are called The British IBM and currently they are trying to record a second album and have a kickstarter to help generate some revenue to do it. They are offering signed copies of the new album and a T-Shirt (Depending in the stage you want to get involved) I thought it might be nice to let you hear them and see if any of my Cult Labs friends would want to get involved.

A Song by the guys -

The Kickstarter.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lack-and-white

(I'm unsure if this violates any CL rules so if it's taken down i understand - primarily i am a fan and have backed the KS as well as owning the 1st album and a t-shirt. Finally i would do the same for our Rik. lol)

Vippers.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th July 2014, 01:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm on my phone at the minute, but I'll take a listen when I'm next on my pc
Vipp likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th July 2014, 02:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm on my phone at the minute, but I'll take a listen when I'm next on my pc
Thanks Rik! I really believe these guys deserve the support.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th July 2014, 03:07 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pretty good, I rarely listen to this type of music these days, but I can tell they've got talent
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th July 2014, 03:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

I really like Darkthrone and Cradle Of Filth, I even saw Cradle twice at Newcastle. Generally there are too many to list
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

It's been interesting reading through these pages.

When i was in my teens, twenties up to mid thirties i would religiously buy loads of artists work i classed as my favourites. Guns n' Roses, W.A.S.P. Sheryl Crow, Slayer, Metallica and many more. However in recent years there aren't many bands / artists i would bother preordering albums by nowadays.

Just these seven really.

Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Kiss, Motley Crue, Nightwish, Doro and Bruce Springsteen.

It doesn't mean i don't still love my other old faves, but they all seem less essential.
Rik likes this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 9th July 2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
It's hard to pick my favourites but here's a list of some of the bands/artists I'm fond of, in no particular order.

Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Metallica
Megadeth
RATM
RHCP
Nirvana
Foo Fighters
Machine Head
Pantera
The Doors
Shed 7
The Stone Roses
The Prodigy
The Music
Black Sabbath
Deep Purple
Ian Brown
Embrace
The Verve
Alice in Chains
Bob Dylan
Pink Floyd
Muse
Biffy Clyro
Radiohead
Manic Street Preachers
Guns n Roses
Slash
Velvet Revolver
The Smiths
Sepultura
In Echoes(a friends band)
I think that's about it off the top of my head

Nothings really changed in the 3 years since I posted this list

Like this? Share it using the links below!