Like Tree1441Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2014, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've always preferred their rip roarers - Aces High, The Trooper, Killers, Be Quick or Be Dead for example.

I've never got the love for Hallowed at all. That's just me though. I'm not suggesting it's a poor song or anything like that.
Yeah, think we've had this discussion before and I said I only started loving it when I learnt to play it on guitar
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th November 2014, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, think we've had this discussion before and I said I only started loving it when I learnt to play it on guitar
The MH track is decent but far too long. I don't think they've ever bettered their first album.

I don't own this or the last one though.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The MH track is decent but far too long. I don't think they've ever bettered their first album.

I don't own this or the last one though.
Burn My Eyes is a belter, but I like pretty much all their albums, including their weird Nu-metal phase, which usually gets panned!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th November 2014, 11:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Burn My Eyes is a belter, but I like pretty much all their albums, including their weird Nu-metal phase, which usually gets panned!
I actually love their cover of Message in a Bottle.
Rik likes this.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I love all Iron Maiden up until Fear of the Dark era, then I kinda lost track of them. As much as I like Bruce Dickinson, there is something raw I love about the first two abums, that punkishness (new word?) that always ticks my boxes.

Lucozade anyone?

Rik and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 17th November 2014, 11:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ha ha, I remember the first time me and mate played my vinyl of their debut album and heard Phantom: "Hang on, that's from the Lucozade advert" in unison ha ha
Old 17th November 2014, 11:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I may as well tell of my main gripe with some early Maiden. Repetition. Especially the chorus's. Just repeating the song title. Grrr!

Running Free is awful. I know they aren't exactly early but Heaven Can Wait and Fear of the Dark are two more culprits.

They don't tend to fall into that trap anymore.

Probably because they've forgotten what a chorus is recently.

I ****in' love Maiden by the way. It's that love that allows me to be critical.
Rik likes this.
Old 18th November 2014, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I know what you mean Dem, I accept it as part of that era of metal/rock, it wasnt an intellectual stompin ground for a lot when it came to song wrtiting, much like priest - breakin the law, motley crue shout at the devil, twisted sister i wanna rock, etc
saxon e.g wheeeeels, wheels of steel, talkin bout my wheels of steel, ooh,ah, wheels of steel repeat infinitley!

Funny thing though, I am singing these in my head now, I suppose that was the point, repetition, parrot fashion to pummel your mind into buying it!

Its also funny because when I was an early Teen, there was only the religion of rock, nothing else, I was a rocker and that was it for the rest of my life! I was happy with that, it did not stretch my brain too much or make me think as I was pre-occupied with girls and ale, singing I Wanna Rock,ROCK, along the way! but as I grew up, I removed the sunglasses and wow! Pink Floyd, political punk, metallica, soundtracks by Goblin, kate bush mmmmmm!

I see old rockers walking around that never escaped that repetitive verse syndrome Dem , they are pushing the tartan shopping trolleys with wheels on, and I swear I can hear them humming wheels of steel

Last edited by profondo rosso; 18th November 2014 at 08:45 AM.
Old 21st November 2014, 09:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just bought tickets to see the legendary (reformed) Ride in Manchester. Never thought I'd see the day so it's a bit of a dream come true for me.

Other than that, I'm going to see Hiss Golden Messenger in February. I used to go to gigs all the time but few and far between these days...
Old 21st November 2014, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Off to see Stephen Patrick Morrissey in London next weekend. Lost count of the number of times I've seen him but still cannot wait. Gutted I missed out on getting tickets for The Fall who are playing two days earlier.

Like this? Share it using the links below!