Like Tree4346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2016, 01:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Not bought, but the care worker for one of the disabled adults I teach at the studio got a free copy of the new Muse album because he'd bought tickets for their tour next year, so he gave it me due to him already owning it, nice gesture on his part

Attachment 173522
Is it any good. I like Muse but haven't picked it up yet. Do you recommend it Rik?
Old 9th January 2016, 01:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is it any good. I like Muse but haven't picked it up yet. Do you recommend it Rik?
I've not had chance to listen to it yet, I've been far too busy at work (see my post What Makes You Happy? = The Happiness Thread), but it came highly recommended to me
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th January 2016, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've not had chance to listen to it yet, I've been far too busy at work (see my post What Makes You Happy? = The Happiness Thread), but it came highly recommended to me
Don't know how i missed that great set of photos Rik.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th January 2016, 02:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Don't know how i missed that great set of photos Rik.
There's a load of mobile videos too, showing the actual flooding occurring and the resulting aftermath, but I can't upload them here, they're on our Facebook page

BTW, I'm currently on track 5 of 12 of Drones and it's brilliant so far
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th January 2016, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's a load of mobile videos too, showing the actual flooding occurring and the resulting aftermath, but I can't upload them here, they're on our Facebook page

BTW, I'm currently on track 5 of 12 of Drones and it's brilliant so far
Is it rockier or more synth orientated?
Old 9th January 2016, 02:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Is it rockier or more synth orientated?
So far it's a mixture of both, by the sounds of it he's got his guitar tuned down for a heavier sound
Old 9th January 2016, 02:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
So far it's a mixture of both, by the sounds of it he's got his guitar tuned down for a heavier sound
I'll pick it up shortly then. You can't really go wrong with Muse.

Same with Stereophonics and the Manics. If you like them which i do, i think you'll always like them.
Rik likes this.
Old 9th January 2016, 09:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Blackstar

Blackstar
Its almost a national holiday when David Bowie release anything new recently,he seems to have a renaissance once every decade,when were told he has reinvented himself or changed musical direction.But to me he still sounds like David Bowie,doesn't matter whether its Life on Mars or Im Afraid of Americans. Bowie is almost a genre unto himself,I can't think of a single artist who even comes close to his sound ( Lou Reed and Iggy Pop in the 1970's ) but no one today comes any where near his sound.But if you wanted to recommended this new Bowie album to someone,what do you compare it with, (unfortunately we know that some people will only listen to something unless its sounds like the same old stuff as before). Believe it or not I hate the whole idea of a genre tag,I know I fall into this trap myself ,im always posting music under a genre tag, but I hate it,Im also a complete music snob and proud of it to,otherwise who is going to police what is good taste,im also a music hypocrite as well,I hate modern popular music but love 1970;s bubblegum pop music,lets not forget David Bowie did laughing gnome and Lulu covered The Man Who Sold The World.Then again im no good at recommending things either, I still say Chas and Dave song Margate would be a great Eurovision song. I don't know , Blackstar is experimental it is different ,I suppose maybe closer to albums like Heathen and Earthling in some ways.Ive played this album about four times today after buying it,some things i get some Im not,im not even gonna say which tracks I prefer yet ,because I know a week later it will change.Lets say its a free-form jazz exploration to quote Spinal Tap,or you could just say if your A Bowie fan just go buy it.this review has been no help what so ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61OMnzoAC6L._SL1417_.jpg (73.1 KB, 3 views)

Old 9th January 2016, 09:54 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Going back a few posts, I thought Drones was brilliant, and preferred it to the couple of albums which preceded it. It seems very political, so I'll need to give it a couple of listens with headphones and no distractions to pay attention to the lyrics.

I've been listening to the two-disc Best of Bowie several times recently, and have listed the few albums I don't have, so will probably buy Backstar at the same time.
Old 12th January 2016, 10:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Blackstar
Its almost a national holiday when David Bowie release anything new recently,he seems to have a renaissance once every decade,when were told he has reinvented himself or changed musical direction.But to me he still sounds like David Bowie,doesn't matter whether its Life on Mars or Im Afraid of Americans. Bowie is almost a genre unto himself,I can't think of a single artist who even comes close to his sound ( Lou Reed and Iggy Pop in the 1970's ) but no one today comes any where near his sound.But if you wanted to recommended this new Bowie album to someone,what do you compare it with, (unfortunately we know that some people will only listen to something unless its sounds like the same old stuff as before). Believe it or not I hate the whole idea of a genre tag,I know I fall into this trap myself ,im always posting music under a genre tag, but I hate it,Im also a complete music snob and proud of it to,otherwise who is going to police what is good taste,im also a music hypocrite as well,I hate modern popular music but love 1970;s bubblegum pop music,lets not forget David Bowie did laughing gnome and Lulu covered The Man Who Sold The World.Then again im no good at recommending things either, I still say Chas and Dave song Margate would be a great Eurovision song. I don't know , Blackstar is experimental it is different ,I suppose maybe closer to albums like Heathen and Earthling in some ways.Ive played this album about four times today after buying it,some things i get some Im not,im not even gonna say which tracks I prefer yet ,because I know a week later it will change.Lets say its a free-form jazz exploration to quote Spinal Tap,or you could just say if your A Bowie fan just go buy it.this review has been no help what so ever.
Most avant thing you'll ever find in T***o as well.

Here's my tuppence worth, as was looking forward to raving about this album yesterday. Looser in structure than TND imo, this contains what I say is his best song in years (see post on the RIP thread, 2nd song), whilst listening to it on Friday I thought "Is this DB coming to terms with his own mortality??". am not grandstanding here, or claiming precog whatever, this is just the feeling I got from the song.
AAnyway, it's out there (but not Outside haha).....enjoy

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!