Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd January 2016, 12:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

London Calling
14 December 1979
Released the tail end of 1979,I don't think I actually bought it myself until a couple years later probably about 1981 if I remember correctly.At the time there was a new wave of punk bands that my mates were into,mainly bands like The Exploited,Discharge and Crass,plus there was the whole OI music scene at the time as well,I know there was a whole range of different music at the time,but when you and your mates are only into certain type of music everything else at the time just didn't matter,and no one at the time dared listen to anything else just in case everybody else took the piss out of you,the joys of youth ans peer pressure I suppose.To be truthful I was still listening to my dads records like the The Beatles,.The Beach Boys and the kinks,and loads of stuff from the 1960's which would of probably got me ostracised by my fellow class mates and certainly by my mates who were listening to the likes of Crass and the Dead Kennedys at the time.I think the only other genre that was permissible at the period of time was Ska,so groups like The Specials were big at the time,I was still fairly traditional in my musical tastes and found the most of the other bands like Discharge unlistenable to my young tender ear lobes. The Clash on the other hand still maintained an angry and fast sound but still could play a good tune,Even at 14 years old I needed something i could sing along to or at least tap my foot to it.London Calling with its mixture of punk, reggae, rockabilly and ska is firmly placed in my top ten of all time albums.From the classic title track to the rather brilliant song about Montgomery Clift The Right Profile,to just pure coolness of the songs like Hateful and Rudie Can't Fail.Joe Strummer proves what a great and versatile singer he was ,and the rest of the band are no slouches either.With the death of Joe in 2002 any speculation of reunion died with him,but with my recent purchase of this re-released vinyl album I can now pogo to my hearts content,well I would if my back was playing up,now where did I put my comfy slippers too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PTDC0030.jpg (91.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PTDC0031.jpg (94.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 23rd January 2016, 12:38 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent stuff, inspector – insightful and personal.
Old 23rd January 2016, 02:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The new Megadeth album arrived today. Not bad for a fiver from Amazon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2295 (Large).jpg (82.9 KB, 6 views)
Rik likes this.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A new one? Must alert mate ahem.

After seeing the advert for Deagostini's latest partwork...classic jazz albums starting with Kind Of Blue (180gm for £5!), I finally managed to find one.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th January 2016, 11:01 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
A new one? Must alert mate ahem.

After seeing the advert for Deagostini's latest partwork...classic jazz albums starting with Kind Of Blue (180gm for £5!), I finally managed to find one.
I saw that in a paper yesterday. Where did you pick one up from? I fancy A Kind of Blue on vinyl.
Old 25th January 2016, 11:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I saw that in a paper yesterday. Where did you pick one up from? I fancy A Kind of Blue on vinyl.
Out of the 3 newsagents in town, I found 2 copies in McColls. Though WHS should have them as well.....looks bonny btw
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 25th January 2016, 02:03 PM
Active Cultist

Malovence by New Years Day

And also signed by the lovely lead singer Ashley Costello

Old 25th January 2016, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
The new Megadeth album arrived today. Not bad for a fiver from Amazon.

Have you listened to it yet, I've not had chance myself?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 25th January 2016, 04:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Have you listened to it yet, I've not had chance myself?
No, not yet. I'll need to soon otherwise it'll join the pile of the unlistened meaning i could have picked it up down the line for a fiver anyway and it wouldn't have been such a bargain.
Old 25th January 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
No, not yet. I'll need to soon otherwise it'll join the pile of the unlistened meaning i could have picked it up down the line for a fiver anyway and it wouldn't have been such a bargain.

Either that or Mustaine will turn the revolving door and get new members
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!