Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4346Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2013, 08:10 PM
Cultist

Recent charity shop picks...

Aim - Cold Water Music - absolute classic!
DJ Kentaro - Enter - DMC champ album promo. Loads of cool guests including New Flesh and Pharcyde
Goldfrapp - Supernature - despite loving them when I saw them live a few years back I never owned any of their albums
Mr Scruff - Keep it Unreal - another classic.
Julia Holter - Ekstasis - promo album. No idea, but the writeup was good.
Drum & Bass Arena - 3CD mix, lots of classics.
The Police - 2 CD greatest hits.
Demon Hunter - 45 Days - Love the band, chuffed to score this in a local charity shop. Live DVD, 45 Days documentary DVD and 45 Days CD! Now popping in there every other day incase they put out anymore DH.
Old 1st September 2013, 03:39 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Scott Walker: Scott the Collection 1967-1970
Wes likes this.
Old 1st September 2013, 06:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Scott Walker: Scott the Collection 1967-1970
That's on my ever increasing list of stuff to get... It took me a long time to get the hang of Scott Walker... Tilt was great and so was The Drift, but the songs off the Scott albums were a lot trickier. I have a pretty good Scott Walker compilation album (Boychild) which covers these records and it's been getting a lot of plays lately...
Old 1st September 2013, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
That's on my ever increasing list of stuff to get... It took me a long time to get the hang of Scott Walker... Tilt was great and so was The Drift, but the songs off the Scott albums were a lot trickier. I have a pretty good Scott Walker compilation album (Boychild) which covers these records and it's been getting a lot of plays lately...
To be honest Wes, I know nothing about him, it was an impulse buy whilst I was in town today. Perhaps not my wisest move given that I just split from Mrs MTDS and feel rather lonely without seeing the kids every day, it's very emotive music. However, objectively it's fantastic stuff. It's making an interesting soundtrack to my reading of Ballard's "Concrete Island" which I also picked up today.
Old 1st September 2013, 07:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
To be honest Wes, I know nothing about him, it was an impulse buy whilst I was in town today. Perhaps not my wisest move given that I just split from Mrs MTDS and feel rather lonely without seeing the kids every day, it's very emotive music. However, objectively it's fantastic stuff. It's making an interesting soundtrack to my reading of Ballard's "Concrete Island" which I also picked up today.
Yep, that was diving in at the deep end but if it works for you right now in your life, then it was a good choice... Yeah, I saw your call out about Concrete Island, excellent read I think. I recently picked up a new-ish book of collected Ballard interviews and his views, opinions and insights into ever facet of life are genuinely extraordinary...

Incidentally, while we're discussing reads, have you picked up any issues of the Abraxas, an occult periodical ?

Old 1st September 2013, 08:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, that was diving in at the deep end but if it works for you right now in your life, then it was a good choice... Yeah, I saw your call out about Concrete Island, excellent read I think. I recently picked up a new-ish book of collected Ballard interviews and his views, opinions and insights into ever facet of life are genuinely extraordinary...

Incidentally, while we're discussing reads, have you picked up any issues of the Abraxas, an occult periodical ?

No I've not. 'I've looked at them many a time but the price has always put me off. That said, I do have a Kenneth and Steffi Grant book by the same publisher that is stunningly beautiful to behold as was the price.

I rarely buy occult books these days other than the on going reissues of Grant's books. I tend to work in 3 year cycles of interest, with one subject leading to another but increasing the whole. I'm presently exploring Angel magick but not in a fluffy bunny new age way. I should up date the list of books I rate on the "Wicked Witchery" thread.
Old 2nd September 2013, 05:21 PM
Cult Rookie

Yap, I read the last two issues and it's now £15. Thought that was very good for what you get actually.

I hear they're coming out with a new one soon too...
Wes likes this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierBill View Post
Yap, I read the last two issues and it's now £15. Thought that was very good for what you get actually.

I hear they're coming out with a new one soon too...
Many thanks Bill, thanks for writing. I think I will pick up one of these. I've been looking at these long enough...
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:55 PM
Cult Rookie

You're welcome Wes. Awesome blog btw!
Wes likes this.
Old 2nd September 2013, 07:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ah thanks, much appreciated... it's looking a bit fallow these days which is down to pure laziness I fear. But thanks again...

Like this? Share it using the links below!