Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree496Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2011, 12:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
The APOCALYPSE NOW soundtrack on double disc vinyl LP was amazing, including dialogue it was almost an audio version of the film, think the modern CD is just the music tho, the THIEF soundtrack is top but must be OOP, and PULP FICTION is also a good un.
Yeah, great mention... The alternative Apocalypse Now Workprint soundtrack is fantastic as well, with lots of Doors songs, like I Can't See Your Face, Summer's Almost Gone, My Wild Love, When the Music's Over. I can't be sure but to my ears there's some Tomita electronica as well, and a fantastic Otis Redding version of Satisfaction in place of the Stones version...

Last edited by Wes; 19th November 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 19th November 2011, 04:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

im a huge James Horner fan, His scores for Krull and Wrath of Khan are amazing, although they all sound exactly like his Battle Beyond The Stars Score.
Old 19th November 2011, 05:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ooof! So many that I love and have owned (I only have digital copies nowadays, but I had tons of vinyl soundtracks inc. the above mentioned Apocalypse Now gate fold double LP)

Amongst my faves (that I can recall off the top of my head):

Philip Glass - Mishima - segments of this have been used extensively for adverts on TV and other movies; most famously The Truman Show, but Glass's score matches perfectly with Schrader's best film. This rock n' rollesque homage is a particular fave.

Neil Young - Dead Man - an amazing balance of baleful and sombre, Young's guitar work on this is outstanding and is probably the best thing he's ever done.

Thomas Bangalter - Irreversible - love his dancefloor tunes, of which a number feature on the soundtrack, but it's the more abstract pieces like Rectum and Desaccords that really make this a stand out, truly nightmarish soundscapes that truly match the horror playing out on screen.

!

Simonetti-Pignatelli-Morante - Tenebre - anthemic title track that was sampled by Justice for the dancefloor. Every time I hear it I just think of that insane house hugging shot. But it's Flashing with it's bleeptastic electro funk that stands out on the album. If you like this I highly recommend hunting down Simonetti's Italo Disco project Crazy Gang

Ennio Morricone - The Thing - it's almost like Morricone is mimicking Carpenter's sound, but stylistic verisimilitude aside, this is an absolute cracker that evokes the sci-fi, arctic, paranoiac feel of the movie - single note basslines rule.

Michael Nyman - A Zed & Two Noughts - well to be honest any of his Greenaway collaborations are fantastic, but this is the one I always come back to mainly for

That voice at the end is soooo highly pitched - incredible

RZA - Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai - I'm a big Wu-Tang fan anyway, but the Japanese release of the soundtrack has all the best incidental beats from this amazing film and who better to inflict some Shaolin sonics outta the hood than RZA?

Suzuki Keiichi - Zatoichi - Kitano's inimitable style permeates this wonderful film and more than makes up for the lack of Joe Hisaishi (early musical collaborator on Kitano's films, as well as the musical genius behind a lot of Studio Ghibli's output) by employing Suzuki who artfully blends contemporary electronic music and traditional Japanese music with ease. Choreographed scenes in the movie are lovingly reflected with skill and humour on the soundtrack, like this:

Geinō Yamashirogumi - Akira What's to say about this? It might sound a bit highfalutin but I seriously think that this OST manages to transcend what is already a near perfect film. The omni-style approach to instruments and instrumentation is sublime and I'll never, ever tire of hearing tracks such as this:

which verges on the spiritual.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 19th November 2011, 05:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Great selection there, Phurious -- I'll have to give them a proper lesson later.

Not exactly a soundtrack, but I love the CD soundtrack for This Is Spinal Tap as the songs are so (intentionally) crude and misogynistic, they are really funny and always make for good listening, whether on their own or when watching the film.

Phurious likes this.
Old 19th November 2011, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Wojciech Kilar' brilliant soundtrack to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Randy Edelman and Trevor jones - The Last of the Mohicans

Elmer Bernstein's beautiful compositions for Mad Dog and Glory

Craig Armstrong - Plunkett and Macleane

Michael Nyman and Damon Albarn - Ravenous

All are excellent pieces of work that can easily be enjoyed without any pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 514rcE0NW5L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 61Yk156ap4L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (29.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51XlXYVM+lL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (21.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51QJCAX2RLL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51GwlX7xieL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 19th November 2011, 07:23 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Love that Ravenous soundtrack.

A favourite Cipriani track:

(not actually from Tentacles, but the only vid of it I could find).
Old 19th November 2011, 08:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Very little of it ended up in the finished film, but Sonic Youth's soundtrack for the forgotten 80's road movie Made in USA is fantastic, a sort of little cousin of the EVOL album. There's a few mindless rockers in there, but for the most part, the music comprises of moody guitar explorations, featuring those great eerie tunings from Sonic Youth's early sound...

Thurston Moore wrote in the soundtrack's liner notes:

I recently found the video for $3.99 at a video closeout store and watched it and was kind of bummed when I saw how much of our music was cut from the final edit. I guess our vibe was too weird and edgy. But that's what we liked about the earlier version of the film, so... to each his own, I guess. The music on this soundtrack is interesting in that it's an odd compromise between New York City avant-gardsters and Hollywood hit men.
Old 20th November 2011, 10:46 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The music from Local Hero makes an astonishing soundtrack, with Mark Knopfler's theme as one of my favourite pieces of music.

Old 20th November 2011, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Very little of it ended up in the finished film, but Sonic Youth's soundtrack for the forgotten 80's road movie Made in USA is fantastic, a sort of little cousin of the EVOL album. There's a few mindless rockers in there, but for the most part, the music comprises of moody guitar explorations, featuring those great eerie tunings from Sonic Youth's early sound...

Thurston Moore wrote in the soundtrack's liner notes:

I recently found the video for $3.99 at a video closeout store and watched it and was kind of bummed when I saw how much of our music was cut from the final edit. I guess our vibe was too weird and edgy. But that's what we liked about the earlier version of the film, so... to each his own, I guess. The music on this soundtrack is interesting in that it's an odd compromise between New York City avant-gardsters and Hollywood hit men.
Oooh, will have to check that out. Love Sonic Youth.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Vampyros Lesbos, Alexander Nevsky, Cannibal Holocaust, Liquid Sky, Suspiria, In Cold Blood (1967), The Double Life of Véronique, Deep Throat, Last House on the Left

Like this? Share it using the links below!