Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The New Century Show

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th June 2011, 11:04 AM
Cultist

I don't think it would be un-ethical to CG Serling into the movie. In fact, it would probably be the best solution to the problem. No matter who you get in, no matter how good they are, they won't have that Serling charm.

If you're re-creating episodes from the original series, the dialogue will already be there and recorded so it would be the best option for me.

As Human Man said, if Carol was okay with it then it would be fine.

If not a CG Serling? I don't know who else I'd pick. If it's Leo's production company, he himself could actually be the host. He's got enough charisma to carry it and he's a great screen presense. In fact, with his face on the poster the film could do quite well.

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 31st July 2011, 10:36 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Has anyone been on the Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror ride at Disneyland? That features a filmed intro from Serling, which I assume has been CGI enhanced, and it'a a brilliant ride. The design inside the building is fantastic.

As for this movie announcement, my question is why bother? I'd rather see someone make a new anthology film with weird and interesting stories, than trying to cash in on a long-gone TV show. They'd have to change and update so much, why not just call it something else?
Old 31st July 2011, 04:01 PM
Cultist

It is name value I guess. It's the same with asking why a studio would bother putting out movies based off Battleships and Monopoly? Name value > Originality in the eyes of Hollywood.

However, I do want to see this - if done well.

If you're looking for an original Twilight Zone-esque series, can I suggest looking at my sig for a little series I created? :P

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 2nd August 2011, 11:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs View Post
So the word on the grapevine was that Leo DiCaprio's production company has picked up the rights and will be making a new Twilight Zone film.

Any thoughts? How should they do it? Should they modernise it or try to mimic the 50's-60's show? Should they go the route of the previous film by mostly remaking old episodes? Should it be multiple stories or just one long story?

Should they be doing it at all?

Thoughts?
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:39 AM
Cultist

Good news, Especally if Nolan gets the nod.

Could Nolan Enter The Twilight Zone? | Movie News | Empire
Old 3rd October 2011, 10:55 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Now that Warner Bros. is pushing ahead with its new cinematic take on classic anthology series The Twilight Zone, the studio is looking to recruit some top-notch talent to direct the thing, throwing out feelers to the likes of Christopher Nolan, Alfonso Cuaron, Michael Bay, David Yates and Rise of the Planet of the Apes’ Rupert Wyatt.
Noooooooo!!!

Plus, is it just me, or does the single story idea not work for this movie? Has anyone read The Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Never Made? The chapter in there about the Outter Limits movie is a clear example of how the idea doesn't seem to fit within the mould the TV show created.

Spielberg and crew had the right idea, it just wasn't executed well enough and the fallout from the unfortuante incident hampered the films success.

Old 3rd October 2011, 11:14 AM
Cultist

I agree, I don't know how a single story idea stretched out over the best part of 2 hours would work. And as for Michael Bay, God help us all.
Old 4th October 2011, 07:27 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

On the one hand, I am happy to see that the movie is moving forward. But I share the reservations of everyone else. How does everyone feel about the other names on the list? For me it comes down to:

1. Christopher Nolan - A million times YES!!
2. Alfonso Cuaron - Another potantially good choice I think.
3. David Yates - Hard for me to say; I haven't seen any of his films, but he seems to be an up and comer, so I guess there's potential there.
4. Michael Bay - How he's even on the list is beyond me.

The single story thing is indeed something to chew over. On the one hand I do agree that it doesn't seem to be a good fit, and I tend to go with Collectors Room in that Spielberg had the right idea, it just wasn't executed well.

But...

I've mentioned before on the podcast that I think the true Twilight Zone movie is the original Planet of the Apes. And then I recall Marc Zicree's comments about several movies being Twilight Zone movies in spirit even if they aren't by name (The Sixth Sense etc). If they could have a movie every couple of years with the same host, that would eventually build into a long running collection of Twilight Zone films, it could work. The only problem is, all it would take is one dud to kill the whole enterprise.

I don't know. I'm very conflicted on this one. Interestingly I have quite a collection of Twilight Zone books, and three of them are a trilogy of full length Twilight Zone novels that all tie into each other. How that story works I'm curious to find out, I haven't read them yet, but that's pushing the boundaries even further than one movie.

Lots to think about!! But my fingers are crossed for Nolan.
Old 13th October 2011, 04:22 PM
Cultist

For me it would have to have at the very least 3 stories to make it work. Anything less is too long.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:16 AM
Cultist

So, the new is saying that the story is a feature length adaptation of one of the original episodes.

Which ones do we think will work? Which would be able to be stretched out over 90 minutes without feeling padded out?

Monsters are Due on Maple Street could work, especially if you set it in "real time". There is enough there to stretch it out and you could really draw out the tension to arrive at the boiling point. The only thing they would have to change is the ending which probably wouldn't work for a "21st Century" audience.

Like this? Share it using the links below!