Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The New Century Show

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th December 2011, 12:11 AM
Cult Addict

I loved four lions immensly, it had plenty of absurdist humour but had an alarming ring of truth to it at the time, when you look at the immense amount of research morris did for the movie it makes you appreciate it all the more. I still rate it as the best british comedy film made in the last few years.
trench likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 03:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I loved four lions immensly, it had plenty of absurdist humour but had an alarming ring of truth to it at the time, when you look at the immense amount of research morris did for the movie it makes you appreciate it all the more. I still rate it as the best british comedy film made in the last few years.
I agree. It's possibly Morris at his most subtle, yet still incredibly controversial. I think one of the best things to come from "Four Lions" is that it put an end to the whole 'Chris Morris : elusive-media-terrorist-genius-who-doesn't-appear-in-public-or-give-interviews' nonsense that was always spouted by all and sundry who mentioned Morris in print.

All you Morris fans should probably pick up a copy of Lucian Randall's book, "Disgusting Bliss : The Brass Eye Of Chris Morris". Morris himself doesn't contribute, but those he has worked with throughout his career do. It's great.
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default morris

yes that is a very good book, as for lions i was just expecting something better and darker felt the characters were too sitcom i can appreciate the amount of effort put in it but it did'nt make me laugh that much.
Old 17th December 2011, 11:12 AM
Cult Rookie

I'm with Mark Kermode on Four Lions - it's far more sad than funny. I still thought it was a quite a powerful, thought provoking film but it didn't work as a comedy at all for me.

In the Loop is definitely my favourite British comedy of recent years.
trench likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 12:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
i'd agree i have most of his output including his short film my wrongs but i must be in the minority that lions was ok at best.
I couldn't get through Four Lions so you're not alone. I thought the humour was very lightweight. The Day Today is excellent, for example, it brought Alan Partridge to our TV screens after all.
plasterface likes this.
Old 17th December 2011, 01:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasterface View Post
yes that is a very good book, as for lions i was just expecting something better and darker felt the characters were too sitcom i can appreciate the amount of effort put in it but it did'nt make me laugh that much.
The maddest thing about four lions is the characters are actually quite close to a lot of real british jihadists. Morris researched the film thouroughly and some of the real life cases he came across were not far removed the ones in the film.

I think the trouble is with any comedy, humour is subjective, what makes some people laugh leaves others dead. My own tastes for example I find gavin and stacey and lesbian vampire killers to be complete garbage, and most of the talent involved should never be allowed near televison again, better in mcdonalds, but thats my tastes and plenty of people find the aformentioned 'comdies' funny, so each to their own.
Old 17th December 2011, 02:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default lions

i think my trouble with lions was i am a fan of monkey dust the morriseque animation series, they had subarban jihadists in a similar vein to ones in four lions. I was expecting more subtley but main characters were more broad like a they were off father ted, now dont get my wrong i love father ted, it crowd etc but the humor in this film failed to hit the mark for me, i was expecting something a bit more jam like. i think the film is ok but no cult classic.
Old 17th December 2011, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfarer View Post
The Day Today is excellent, for example, it brought Alan Partridge to our TV screens after all.
And "On The Hour" was the birthplace of it all.
Old 17th December 2011, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Jam anyone? Surely one of Morris's greatest projects, both the radio show and TV show, not to mention his Peter Cook interviews.
About 10 years ago I put the Jam CD on at a party were most people were off their faces on liberty caps - hilarious results ensued.

But back to topic. I've really enjoyed the last two Black Mirrors and eagerly await the next instalment.

Did anyone else notice the musical similarities to Jon Brion's Punch-DRunk Love score when Bing was falling for Abbi in 15 Million Merits.

Incredible to think that the lady from Blue Peter who I had a big crush on as a teen, would be co-writing an impressive and depressive satire on western contemporary society?
plasterface likes this.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 18th December 2011, 12:15 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Jam anyone? Surely one of Morris's greatest projects, both the radio show and TV show, not to mention his Peter Cook interviews.
About 10 years ago I put the Jam CD on at a party were most people were off their faces on liberty caps - hilarious results ensued.

But back to topic. I've really enjoyed the last two Black Mirrors and eagerly await the next instalment.

Did anyone else notice the musical similarities to Jon Brion's Punch-DRunk Love score when Bing was falling for Abbi in 15 Million Merits.

Incredible to think that the lady from Blue Peter who I had a big crush on as a teen, would be co-writing an impressive and depressive satire on western contemporary society?
I guess she has her own issues with the whole 'reality' TV machine after Cowell reportedly gave her the boot from The Xtra Factor...

Did anyone else get a bit freaked out whenever it cut to an advert break during 15 Million Merits? There was even an ad for some xbox dance thing where players are represented by computerised versions of themselves!

Hope tomorrow's episode doesn't disappoint.

Like this? Share it using the links below!