Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th February 2011, 07:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydn View Post
This is def interesting to get other peoples views on, so far Im in a minority!
Haha, I do see your point though.

I do worry that the BBFC cut issue is going to over-shadow other aspects of the release though, such as the extras, and the fact that it's the longest version of NYR ever to be release. That's something to get excited about surely?
Old 9th February 2011, 07:13 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's what I think. Even with the cut, this is said to be the longest version of NYR anywhere, so it'll be good to own this and the uncensored version.
Old 9th February 2011, 07:29 PM
Cultist

ive got NYR on dvd today and im just wondering is the blu the same runtime
Old 9th February 2011, 08:27 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatOfTheDead View Post
ive got NYR on dvd today and im just wondering is the blu the same runtime
No, the new release, which will be on Blu-ray and DVD, is a different 'build' of the film with several inserted shots that haven't been in any other releases (as far as I know) so it will have the longest running time of any version released on VHS, Laserdisc, DVD or Blu-ray so far. Unfortunately, it is still short of 19 seconds because of BBFC enforced cuts but it will be different from the DVD you bought/received today.
Old 9th February 2011, 08:37 PM
Cultist

ahh ok
Old 13th February 2011, 02:00 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andydn View Post
If a film cant be release in its entirety, then release something that can be, because we all agree that any cuts that are made are usually ridiculous and unnessesary but DO render the film less enjoyable.
You raise some good points, but I don't think you fully understand the DVD distribution process. When a DVD label thinks about licensing a film for distribution they have no idea what the BBFC's decision will be. So they have to pay to license the film before they can submit it to the BBFC - they can't submit something they don't own the rights to, as the BBFC have to register the license-holder (all that info is on the BBFC webpages for each film you look up). So having spent a fair bit of money already - licensing the film, BBFC submission fees etc - if the BBFC come back with an unfavourable decision, what do you suggest they do? Scrap the release and lose all their investment in that title? I really don't think a small niche label like Shameless can afford to throw money away like that. So whilst I appreciate your sentiments of only putting out films that are uncut, it's financially unsound and not something a business can afford to do. And some might argue that Shameless, Arrow etc could ask for advice on a title before acquiring it isn't all that reliable either. Arrow were cautioned that Island of Death would categorically not get through the BBFC uncut, and I believe Marc Morris's and Jake West's label Nucleus passed on it for this reason. So it was surprising to everyone when it was passed fully uncut. So it's not always clear cut and not always black and white.
Old 19th February 2011, 02:30 PM
Cultist in Training

How can they still cut films? It's art, and are to be touched by no one else than the creator... ****in' BBFC...
Old 8th March 2011, 10:33 PM
Cultist

Cuts or no cuts, I've enjoyed every one of Shameless's fine releases thus far and haven't at any point felt short changed. Maybe I'm not that clued up or educated in the ways of the true movie critic or the so called life long film buff but I like to think I have a good grasp on the whole Shameless/Arrow ethos and haven't lived the past 34 years in a cave laughing at my own farts. Without wishing to be a bitch I'm more likely to laugh at those who spend hard earned cash buying multiple versions of the same film in the hope of owning some 'Holy Grail' when a company like Shameless are right on my doorstep. Ultimatly though, happy viewing, whatever and however you decide to shop for your horror/giallo etc etc
Old 9th March 2011, 02:00 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but i've seen a few posts on other sites with people moaning that it's cut and they'll stick with their uncut releases from elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to do that of course, but even with the cut, the Shameless BD will apparently be the longest version of the film available anywhere. I do find it strange that even with that knowledge, a lot of people can't see past the cut.
A lil late for a response to that - but I have to say that this DOES matter. Even though Shameless has gone through the effort of searching new material, the film is not intact in the sense Fulci wanted it to be. I find it despicable to censor movies and I hope that the BBFC will drop their medieval attitude towards certain things in the next couple of years.

I'd like to get a list of the new scenes (3 min + 15 sec) - coz to be honest: I can disclaim 15 seconds of "someone getting out of a car" when one of the key scenes from the movie has been trimmed to not upset the elderly.

P.S.: It was a tough decision to even get the Shameless DVD to complete my collection - but since it was cheap and since I have other, intact, versions of the film as well I did buy it. I'll definitely skip the Blu for now - maybe there will be a VERY good price at Amazon someday that I cannot refuse but getting movies in the way/version they were intended to be and not in the way some guy I don't give a crap about thinks I should see it.
Old 9th March 2011, 02:47 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playzocker View Post
I'd like to get a list of the new scenes (3 min + 15 sec)
I've posted more details about the additional footage in this thread. Shameless are not going to give full details of all the scenes or there'd be no surprises left for the actual release!

It's completely up to you whether you buy it or not. Shameless can't help the BBFC's decision and did try everything they could to get the film passed uncut. Unfortunately, it wasn't to be.

After paying out to licence a new HD master, Shameless could hardly be expected to just drop the release because they couldn't release it uncut so, instead have gone to great lengths to make sure this is still a release worth owning. They understand some people may not want to purchase a cut copy of the film but, since New York Ripper was their second biggest seller on DVD (cut) then they saw it as an excellent choice of title to be their first Blu-ray.

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 9th March 2011 at 03:01 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!