Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2011, 07:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

I watched The New York Ripper for the first time today, and I must say I quite enjoyed it.I've had the Anchor Bay DVD sitting on my shelf for years and have never watched it in its entirety until today.This is the uncut version which has a misplaced scene involving a freeze frame of Paolo Malco.It's a good film, better than The Beyond & House by the Cemetery imo, but my Fulci faves are still City of the Living Dead & Zombie Flesh Eaters.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:04 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
I watched The New York Ripper for the first time today, and I must say I quite enjoyed it.I've had the Anchor Bay DVD sitting on my shelf for years and have never watched it in its entirety until today.This is the uncut version which has a misplaced scene involving a freeze frame of Paolo Malco.It's a good film, better than The Beyond & House by the Cemetery imo, but my Fulci faves are still City of the Living Dead & Zombie Flesh Eaters.
Glad you liked it! If you decide to double-dip and get the Shameless version on DVD or Blu-ray you'll get that misplaced scene in the right order.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:10 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Glad you liked it! If you decide to double-dip and get the Shameless version on DVD or Blu-ray you'll get that misplaced scene in the right order.
Hey Sarah, not sure if you'll know this yet, the 15secs thats been mentioned as not being in the BU version but will be in the Shameless disc, is there any chance that this could be the misplaced scene? I've seen on sites before saying that scene is 15secs long, or are these 15 addition secs of stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2011, 09:18 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Afraid I don't know this at the moment. I'm seeing if Shameless can give me more details so hopefully I'll know more soon!
Old 14th January 2011, 09:20 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

No problem. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 14th January 2011, 09:37 PM
Cultist

With the way the cuts were made to the DVD, I don't think it destorys the release totally. To be fair, it's not even half a minute that has to be cut, only 22+ some odd seconds? When I watched the offending scene it seemed like it had very little on-screen time anyway. But it will put collectors of owning it because no matter how little has been cut, it's still a cut version. I haven't read through all of this thread, but if the extras are good I may pick it up. The HD aspect doesn't make a difference to me. I don't much care for the whole HD thing, if the DVD quality is good, it does me.

I still have my Shameless DVD of it, and recently got the AWE (Another World Entertainment) release.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sarah, I don't know if I can make you promise or swear to it, but could you put the information on here as soon as you receive it?
Old 14th January 2011, 10:37 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Sarah, I don't know if I can make you promise or swear to it, but could you put the information on here as soon as you receive it?
I will try my very, very best. When I can give the info out you guys will be the first to receive it!

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk
Old 15th January 2011, 12:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Once upon a time, horror fans would freak over cuts to a movie and there could be no defending them. What kind of crazy, upside-down, Twilight Zone world do we live in, in which a cut release is defending?

(Btw, I'm not trying to start crap, just making an observation of the Bizarre. I really don't care if folks wanna buy it or not -- I'm just wondering/stating aloud online is all. I grew up watching movies/filmmakers/etc. battle with the MPAA in the US throughout the 80s and 90s over cuts/obsenity/etc. and can't recall anyone ever doing this back then. It's really difficult for me to wrap my head around. And, also btw, no flame-wars or commentaries on Shameless or its fans intended. Ok? Ok!)
Old 15th January 2011, 01:51 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
Once upon a time, horror fans would freak over cuts to a movie and there could be no defending them. What kind of crazy, upside-down, Twilight Zone world do we live in, in which a cut release is defending?

(Btw, I'm not trying to start crap, just making an observation of the Bizarre. I really don't care if folks wanna buy it or not -- I'm just wondering/stating aloud online is all. I grew up watching movies/filmmakers/etc. battle with the MPAA in the US throughout the 80s and 90s over cuts/obsenity/etc. and can't recall anyone ever doing this back then. It's really difficult for me to wrap my head around. And, also btw, no flame-wars or commentaries on Shameless or its fans intended. Ok? Ok!)
I don't think anyone is defending the cuts per say. What's equally bizarre is just that it's a fact of life in the UK that this has to be cut and who knows whether that will ever change with the BBFC's stance on sexualised violence. There's no point ostracising Shameless for it (not that I'm suggesting in the slightest that's what is happening ) and it's just something that has to be taken unfortunately. When it comes to home video, the UK has been a lot worse off throughout the years than the USA. Things have improved greatly but let's just accept that, in this case, the cuts are non-debatable.

I think the point here is that Shameless are putting a lot of effort into the release still and what's piqued my interest more than anything is the extra footage. I already have the BU version and I'm quite happy to double dip for what will be an interesting variation. Some have put down this release and then want Shameless to explore their wish list on BD. I'm sure what else comes along will be dependant on the success of NYR so it's a vicious circle.

As for how it's been cut/edited, I will add my own comment having watched the dvd that it is very well done. Once again, it's not a defence, just an observation that they've made the best out of a bad situation.

Like this? Share it using the links below!