Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2011, 05:51 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

As I have said, there was a difference between saying that some one watches a film only for the gore and it's no wonder the bbfc cut films, and the way the ex-member personally insulted another member only to then respond by saying that someone else was saying nothing of importance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th January 2011, 06:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Personally I felt a bit attacked by the post about "only caring for gore", like I´m some kind of a wierdo getting off to the scene or something.

But, I can take that. Just don´t think I watch these film only for the gore. I just want them to be intact, especially since the Fulci films are famous for these scenes.
Old 15th January 2011, 08:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Personally I felt a bit attacked by the post about "only caring for gore", like I´m some kind of a wierdo getting off to the scene or something.

But, I can take that. Just don´t think I watch these film only for the gore. I just want them to be intact, especially since the Fulci films are famous for these scenes.

and that is my point. Just because some of us prefer to see the movies intact doesn't give others the right to make attacking comments (such as "only caring for gore" in our direction and make us sound as though we are obsessed on the splatter). I admire the look. framing and the style of these classic movies. I simply don't appreciate reframing, rezooming and messing around with footage in any way other than the director intended. Vipco and Hardgore did that (granted they were mostly precut by distributors) - and look what happened to them!

However, it appears that retalliation to any extent is frowned upon now. I guess that it is more acceptable to insult a large group of people rather than defending your views against one individual.

This all seems a bit Animal Farm to me... all forum members are equal.. but some are more equal than others depending on their view!
Old 15th January 2011, 09:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post

I apologise if you felt insulted or attacked as that was not my intention. I was only pointing out that, in the grand scheme of things, those 20-odd seconds of cuts are not huge and there is nothing that can be done about them in the UK with the BBFC having the policies and guidelines it does.

What I did find strange was your tone as it seemed that you are only interested in the gore elements of films and if that is not the case, then good!

I found the post from the ex-member to be personally insulting and that is why the moderators took the decision to ban him as we want this to be a friendly and welcoming place to talk about films, DVDs and BDs (plus all the accompanying merchandise). Posts that go out of their way to be deliberately insulting ("Who the hell do you think you are") will be dealt with severely as I'm sure you would like to be a member of a form that is as friendly as possible and not one that descends into a slanging match between members.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:52 PM
Cult Rookie

What a great way to justify your insult, although the use of the word "good" in this instance comes over very saracastically. It makes me wonder whether I would have taken insult by it if I did only watch these films for the gore... i think that I would have.

Oh well.. at least you proved the last line in my previous post was correct.

Cheers for that!
Old 15th January 2011, 09:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I assure you, the use of the word 'good' in my post was meant with all sincerity and I'm sorry you felt it was sarcastic.

As for your Animal Farm reference, it doesn't matter who is insulted in a post as we take the position that an insult against one person is an insult against the entire forum so it wouldn't matter if the person insulted was a moderator, a long-standing member or someone who joined this week as the same action would have been taken.
Old 15th January 2011, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I apologise if you felt insulted or attacked as that was not my intention.
No worries, apology accepted.

Things can easily go out of hand in heated discussions at times and it´s easy to misunderstand or take things too serious in text form.

I can be a bit picky with releases at times as I can easily detect compression artifacts, DNR or if the black levels are off in a transfer/disc etc. But I also know that some things can´t be 100 procent perfect at times depending on source etc.

So even though I (sadly) am this picky about these things + cut footage, and might comment critically on things at times in the forums, I don´t mean to be nasty or being a prick.

Well, let´s put this behind us. I hope this disc does well for Shameless so we can get some more sweet titles in yellow BD cases in a near future

Cheers!
Old 15th January 2011, 10:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the post -- I'm glad we can put this behind us and look forward to the future of 'Yellow-ray'!
Old 15th January 2011, 10:18 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
it wouldn't matter if the person insulted was a moderator, a long-standing member or someone who joined this week as the same action would have been taken.

That's cool, and I respect that. Anyone who feels that they have been insulted is entitled to take the same action.

But, as with the argument on BBFC-enforced cuts, there are two sides to every argument. I was not necessarily looking at it with regards to action being taken from the standpoint of the insulted...
Old 16th January 2011, 01:10 AM
Ex-member

Following on from discussions going on here...I'll be buying NYR Blu though I would prefer if it was intact...as for the censorship discussions? I feel that members have been banned because mods are taking the whole personal attack thingy quite literally...the "you are only interested in the gore elements and not in the construction, direction or artistic merits of films at all", to me is by definition a personal attack AND condescending (sorry I have to agree with the now "excluded" member)...for them to reply with "Who the hell do you think you are?" is the same type of response & therefore fair game...on movie forums we can all get very heated in discussion about the movies we love...but respect has to be completely across the board...the "ex member" did not use offensive language like stupid bstrd, cnt or similar...he took a defensive stance as the post he was replying to was a "put down"...I get on with everyone on here (even people I have been irritated by & whom I have irritated!) but PLEASE take a step back & stop this illiberal attitude... & reinstate this member...let's get back to the passion of cinema (and with that PASSIONATE discussion!)

Like this? Share it using the links below!