Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2011, 02:25 AM
Cult Rookie

[QUOTE=Mbarr;122230] "you are only interested in the gore elements and not in the construction, direction or artistic merits of films at all", to me is by definition a personal attack AND condescending (sorry I have to agree with the now "excluded" member)...for them to reply with "Who the hell do you think you are?" is the same type of response & therefore fair game

Good to know that I am not alone with that opinion. In any forum that I've submitted to, the doors always swing both ways. You've got to take the good with the bad and not let 'personal feelings' (whether as moderator / long term / newbie) get in the way. Especially when there is no justifiable reason as everyone has the right to their own opinion.

The BBFC have used the term "banned / cut on the grounds of harm" for many years. I would hate to think that the ex-member was banned under the same, undefined policy that has became the bain of UK horror fans! That would signal the end of passionate discussion in the forums!!!
Old 16th January 2011, 08:27 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbarr View Post
Following on from discussions going on here...I'll be buying NYR Blu though I would prefer if it was intact...as for the censorship discussions? I feel that members have been banned because mods are taking the whole personal attack thingy quite literally...the "you are only interested in the gore elements and not in the construction, direction or artistic merits of films at all", to me is by definition a personal attack AND condescending (sorry I have to agree with the now "excluded" member)...for them to reply with "Who the hell do you think you are?" is the same type of response & therefore fair game...on movie forums we can all get very heated in discussion about the movies we love...but respect has to be completely across the board...the "ex member" did not use offensive language like stupid bstrd, cnt or similar...he took a defensive stance as the post he was replying to was a "put down"...I get on with everyone on here (even people I have been irritated by & whom I have irritated!) but PLEASE take a step back & stop this illiberal attitude... & reinstate this member...let's get back to the passion of cinema (and with that PASSIONATE discussion!)
I'm sorry, but my personal opinion is that if the ex-member was allowed to return, he would indeed start being more aggressive and perhaps even start using offensive language, in which case, he'd be banned again. Until the individual who took the decision to remove the member has been told otherwise, the ban stands.

Can we all get back to discussing NYR on this thread, and if need be, continue this on the members site discussion thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16th January 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Agreed Stephen.

Back to the film please.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th January 2011, 04:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel76 View Post
Sorry to complain, but, those cuts are destroying one of the most gruesome murder scenes ever shot by Fulci. Why would people praise a release that has gore cut out of it? And what does the extra seconds not avalible in the Blue-Underground contain? Some extra lines of dialogue or someone entering/leaving the room?

No extra seconds and extra material can make up for a censored murder scene.
Sorry but I have to agree.

I come from a country who has no censor problems with anything.

Will gladly exchange 15 seconds of bits here and there for full uncut violence.
The extras are good but not enough for another buy.
Old 16th January 2011, 04:39 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

As I've said before it is the consumers right to choose whether to buy or not - Shameless have to operate within UK law and appealed the decision and were turned down but are putting out an exciting product which people can consider based on what's important to them - and quite right too.

The DVD (which had the cuts stated upon it - and in fact too long a cuts time to boot!) sold very very well and that helps fund smaller releases and also a lot of people were happy for it so we have to accept that whilst some certainly don't wish to own such a thing - others do. This thread is about the BBFC cut so that can be discussed at will but let's just respect mutual positions on whether it's worth buying or not and we can have an interesting debate.
Old 16th January 2011, 05:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Nothing Shameless can do about the cuts (unfortunately)...the BBFC have ruled.
I think Shameless is to be applauded for re-submitting it and trying to get it passed uncut.
Old 16th January 2011, 05:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I think Shameless is to be applauded for re-submitting it and trying to get it passed uncut.
They succeeded with Inferno when they appealed the 'mousegate' cut and I'm surprised at times haven't changed enough in Soho Square to allow that through but, hey ho. Maybe in a decade when there is another new format!
Old 16th January 2011, 06:18 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

But Inferno was submitted by Arrow...
Maybe a message should have been send from Italy stating "the breast was not really hurt,it was a sort of trick".
Oh well...
Old 16th January 2011, 06:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Maybe a message should have been send from Italy stating "the breast was not really hurt,it was a sort of trick".
Oh well...
Maybe the BBFC decided they wouldn't accept a written statement saying "The nipple was rubber and the scene was not meant to give the audience sexual pleasure or incite them to commit copycat crimes"!
Old 16th January 2011, 07:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Whoa!
it was like a warzone in here ha ha

Anywho my stance on this is simple, yes I do not like cut movies and usually will not buy them as this is my opinion but if the release has other good things about it then when price drops I will buy it. Original shameless dvd I did not buy as that time there was no UK blu so I went and bought the BU blu. I am happy with it and will get the new shameless blu when the price is right as I like the new extras.

onto the subject of ex-member, what he said was out of line and I joined CL as it was a friendly place without fights. Now everyone does have rights to thier own opinions and if they think someone was being rude when they were not (this is text so can be hard) then yes they will retaliate. But the way he went about it was all wrong, there is a better way of having a civil argument.

Im out now

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!