Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   New York Ripper (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   SHAM029/SHAM200 - New York Ripper HD: The BBFC Verdict (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/new-york-ripper/4323-sham029-sham200-new-york-ripper-hd-bbfc-verdict.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:32 PM

SHAM029/SHAM200 - New York Ripper HD: The BBFC Verdict

Shameless have resubmitted New York Ripper to the BBFC and we now have the verdict which is that the current cuts still stand. Shameless appealed this decision however the BBFC have stated that the scene in question is against their policy regarding sexualised violence and so has to go.

Despite this, however, there's plenty of good news. As with Shameless’s original New York Ripper DVD, the cuts have been edited so that the running time remains unaffected and they’re going to make sure that the BBFC don’t get this wrong on the website this time! In addition to this, Shameless have painstakingly sourced and added approximately 3 minutes of footage not in the previous Shameless version, as well as adding a new scene of approximately 15 seconds not present in the Blue Underground BD, making this the longest version of the film available anywhere. Add into this some as-yet-secret-but-stunning extras, a beautiful high definition transfer and that packaging, this is still a version of New York Ripper that is worth viewing and owning and demonstrates Shameless's continued commitment to fans including doing all they could with the BBFC with a tiny cut.

More info on the release including extras and finalised artwork will be released in the coming weeks so keep your eyes peeled!

For more info on why some Shameless releases are cut, check out the Shameless FAQ section.

Please note that any discussion of the BBFC decision is to take place on this thread only - comments posted on other threads to do with this release will be removed as we need to keep threads tidy and focused.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:36 PM

Quick question Sarah, are those 3 mins in the BU version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:36 PM

If it's edited in the same way as the DVD,then it's no big deal.:)

the blob 4th January 2011 06:36 PM

Now that's interesting. Big shame about the BBFC but I've always felt some scenes seemed to be a bit too abrupt.. I wonder if the new footage fills them out. This makes it a buy for me eventually. :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:38 PM

Thanks for the update, Sarah. :)

It's unfortunate that the cuts weren't waived, but great news about the additional scenes. Speaking of which, I'm very much looking forward to hearing the details of what those scenes will entail.

My pre-order still stands. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:40 PM

Great stuff guys.:clap:

If it weren't for support from folk like yourselves,then we wouldn't have these indie labels.

Sarah@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 119789)
Quick question Sarah, are those 3 mins in the BU version?

I think some of them were but possibly not all of them. As far as I'm aware, the 3 minutes are scenes that appear in various other versions, but not all in the one version if you see what I mean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 119797)
Great stuff guys.:clap:

If it weren't for support from folk like yourselves,then we wouldn't have these indie labels.

Hear hear, Reaps! :clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 119798)
I think some of them were but possibly not all of them. As far as I'm aware, the 3 minutes are scenes that appear in various other versions, but not all in the one version if you see what I mean.

Be an interesting viewing experience then....

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:43 PM

Yeah i see what you mean. So even with the cut, the Shameless BD will be the longest version available.Excellent news. Lovely yellow Shameless goodness. Can't wait!

Sarah@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 119800)
Be an interesting viewing experience then....

Definitely. Like I said, even with the minor BBFC cut, this is still the longest version of the film available. And in glorious HD!

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 119805)
Definitely. Like I said, even with the minor BBFC cut, this is still the longest version of the film available. And in glorious HD!

Can't argue with that!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 119799)
Hear hear, Reaps! :clap:

We don't want to return to the dark days of the Vipco-Twenty-Quid-Coaster Sarah! :shocked::eek:

bdc 4th January 2011 07:09 PM

A real shame the BBFC didn't reconsider...but it is like it is...
Anyway will be getting this one,even if it's cut (a tiny bit),out of interest and to support Shameless.
I'm expecting some incredible new releases to be announced for the support though. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 07:12 PM

Good man B!

As for the releases-although I haven't a Scooby Do what they are-Sarah's a woman of her word.:)

(Scooby Do-Glasgow rhyming slang for 'Clue'!) :lol:

Gojirosan 4th January 2011 09:04 PM

What a shame.

Oh well, I suppose one should congratulate Shameless for making the best of a bad lot.

Not sure I'm keen on the idea of disguising the cuts to maintain the running time, however. Reminds me of Ferman's re-editing ideas.

I don't suppose we will ever see a definitive release of this film. I guess the only option is to buy both the Shameless and BU versions.

slaghammer 4th January 2011 10:13 PM

Thanks for the update. I personally am grateful for these cuts, because I'm sure we'd all become rapists with voice defects if they were left in.

Like I said, I'm buying this either way, thanks for bothering to do a DVD version-up! Excited to see the new footage and the extras!

I have a bootleg version with all the slicing and dicing, I'll hang on to that for when I'm in the dungeon.

vipco 4th January 2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 119807)
We don't want to return to the dark days of the Vipco-Twenty-Quid-Coaster Sarah! :shocked::eek:

Hey, wot's wrong with my 20 quid coasters then.....hahaha.

Seriously though, the extra 3 mins is gonna make this a cracker version of NYR and as for the BBFC's decision, well im disappointed but not surprised as I do get their point ,there is some sick ****er's out there plus theres also the growing issue of self harm to consider on their part (BBFC) .
For me its not that big deal a losing that short scene and im a BIG Fulci fan, as Shameless done a great editing job so please dont let this put anyone off buying Shameless NYR BD or DVD as the Shameless edited scene is actually more disturbing in a way that im sure Fulci himself would approve .

It's FULCI in Hi Def on UK store shelves so com'on , lets get excited and please lets all support this release and keep the great mans name alive here in the UK .

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 119865)
What a shame.

Oh well, I suppose one should congratulate Shameless for making the best of a bad lot.

Not sure I'm keen on the idea of disguising the cuts to maintain the running time, however. Reminds me of Ferman's re-editing ideas.

I don't suppose we will ever see a definitive release of this film. I guess the only option is to buy both the Shameless and BU versions.

If you had never seen the full scene, I don't think you would notice the edit. It's really well done. Yeah it is a real shame that it will still be cut, but even with it, this will be the longest version of NYR released anywhere. I think Shameless have come up trumps with the news of the extra footage. Day one purchase for me. Now, when's the damn release date? :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2011 11:22 PM

Well said sir! :clap:

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th January 2011 07:54 AM

I wonder what the extra 3 mins are? The 15sec scene could be the one that was moved to another part of the film in the BU version.

vipco 5th January 2011 09:58 AM

I hope they're not an extension to the scene in the sex club. That scene goes on waaay to long for my liking. I hate seeing people doing 'things' to eachother or prancing about naked.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th January 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 119925)
I hope they're not an extension to the scene in the sex club. That scene goes on waaay to long for my liking. I hate seeing people doing 'things' to eachother or prancing about naked.

Me, I love it! :D But serioulsy, I think it may be the scenes included in the BU version of Paolo Malco's character plays a trick on his secretary, and a later, briefer one involving Malco and Jack Hedley walking while talking about Fay Majors. I don't think they're in the Shameless dvd?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th January 2011 09:43 PM

It's a shame about the ruling from Soho Square but my pre-order still exists and am really looking forward to seeing how this one is edited and compares to the BU version and the previous Shameless DVDs.

I think it's time some of the BBFC's mysterious policies were updated as there is no way that that scene is sexualised violence of the sort that would give someone erotic pleasure or in some way incite violence towards women.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th January 2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120392)
I think it's time some of the BBFC's mysterious policies were updated as there is no way that that scene is sexualised violence of the sort that would give someone erotic pleasure or in some way incite violence towards women.

Exactly. And the scene is no worse than the nipple slicing scene in Flava, the one in NYR is just as unconvincing IMO. The BBFC are really inconsistent.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th January 2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 120394)
Exactly. And the scene is no worse than the nipple slicing scene in Flava, the one in NYR is just as unconvincing IMO. The BBFC are really inconsistent.

Yes, but they are consistently inconsistent! Do you know if their policies and guidelines are publicly available? I found some of the cuts in A Serbian Film to be puzzling as the scenes weren't violating any UK laws, just the tastes of the people at the BBFC who watched the film.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th January 2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 120532)
Yes, but they are consistently inconsistent! Do you know if their policies and guidelines are publicly available? I found some of the cuts in A Serbian Film to be puzzling as the scenes weren't violating any UK laws, just the tastes of the people at the BBFC who watched the film.

I've said that many times. They're supposed to be objective but I do think a lot of the time, things are cut because it offends them personally. And if that is indeed the case, then they're in the wrong job.

Vendaval Este 7th January 2011 11:48 PM

I'll be picking this up regardless, anything to support Shameless, and it's another chance to own a film like this in a glorious HD remaster. :D

If need be, I'll get the American version too for completion's sake.

dustdevil 9th January 2011 11:23 AM

the cuts are annoying to say the least and I'm still in two minds as to getting it or not because of this - the only thing that will make me get this is what the extras will be.

Kudos to shameless for going the extra mile to try and get it passed though.

Presumeably the packageing will make it clear that the cuts have been made not just being the longest running time - don't want to go the vipco route do we;)

Sarah@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustdevil (Post 120862)
the cuts are annoying to say the least and I'm still in two minds as to getting it or not because of this - the only thing that will make me get this is what the extras will be.

Kudos to shameless for going the extra mile to try and get it passed though.

Presumeably the packageing will make it clear that the cuts have been made not just being the longest running time - don't want to go the vipco route do we;)

The extras have been posted so you can have a look at them here.

Shameless did indeed do as much as they could to get this passed by re-submitting and then appealing. Anyone annoyed by the cut cannot, I think, blame Shameless for lack of trying!

As for the packaging, I'm sure Shameless will make it clear as to the running time and cut. The other important thing, of course, is making sure the BBFC get it right on their website. When Shameless first released NYR back in 2007, the BBFC made an error and claimed that the cuts were much longer than they actually were! :doh:

robertzombie 10th January 2011 09:54 AM

Isn't that error also to be found on the back of the DVD cover?

Sarah@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 120994)

Yep, because Shameless got that info from the BBFC and only realised after everything was printed up that it was incorrect. :doh:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th January 2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertzombie (Post 120994)

It certainly appears so as the back cover states "Run Time: 87.07 (BBFC Cut by 34 Seconds)" which certainly isn't the case! Hopefully this will be remedied for the Blu-ray which will say how minor the BBFC-enforced cuts are and state that this is the longest 'build' of the film ever released.

zombie pony 11th January 2011 01:56 AM

I look forward to seeing this. Sounds like Shameless have gone above and beyond to deliver with the product and as fans in the UK, we cannot ask for more than that.

dustdevil 12th January 2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 120982)
The extras have been posted so you can have a look at them here.

Well I do have the uncut R1 dvd and April is a long way off and it is very tempting,I may just get this after all as I didn't get the shameless dvd because it said it had 34 seconds of cuts :laugh:

Stephen@Cult Labs 12th January 2011 07:47 PM

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but i've seen a few posts on other sites with people moaning that it's cut and they'll stick with their uncut releases from elsewhere. Everyone is entitled to do that of course, but even with the cut, the Shameless BD will apparently be the longest version of the film available anywhere. I do find it strange that even with that knowledge, a lot of people can't see past the cut.

dustdevil 12th January 2011 08:22 PM

Well for me it's just that - it's been censored - nothing more nothing less,no particular logic to it,that knowledge just grinds away in the back of my mind that someone at the bbfc has seen fit to take scissors to a film to save me from going out and recreating the film for real.:rant:

Having said that in this case I already have the uncut version on dvd and on this version there are exclusive extras I can be swayed into buying this bd as well - if the price is right.

In fact after reading what the extras are I nipped over to amazon and preordered it along with strange vice of mrs wardh

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th January 2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustdevil (Post 121504)
Well I do have the uncut R1 dvd and April is a long way off and it is very tempting,I may just get this after all as I didn't get the shameless dvd because it said it had 34 seconds of cuts :laugh:

And as far as I know,it's still the best selling Shameless DVD!

Unless that's changed recently.....

Steel76 13th January 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 121509)
a lot of people can't see past the cut.

Sorry to complain, but, those cuts are destroying one of the most gruesome murder scenes ever shot by Fulci. Why would people praise a release that has gore cut out of it? And what does the extra seconds not avalible in the Blue-Underground contain? Some extra lines of dialogue or someone entering/leaving the room?

No extra seconds and extra material can make up for a censored murder scene.

I don´t understand why Shameless choose to release a cut version of New York Ripper as their first BD release. Especially since the Blue-Underground disc is so easy to find.

Would rather have seen a BD of "Torso" or "My dear killer" as a first release.

Stephen@Cult Labs 13th January 2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel76 (Post 121636)
I don´t understand why Shameless choose to release a cut version of New York Ripper as their first BD release. Especially since the Blue-Underground disc is so easy to find.

Because NYR (even when there were uncut releases from abroad), was one of the top sellers for Shameless, and I have no doubt that the BD will be as well.

dustdevil 13th January 2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel76 (Post 121636)

You are forgetting that not everyone uses the internet if they did nobody would walk into a high street shop and pay £25 - £30 for a bluray when it's £15 - £18 online,but they do.

The cuts are a shame but unavoidable in this country and climate - I have to assume that there is not some loophole where shameless can release it unrated online only.

Also I only recently found out that the BU disc is region free none of the sites I regularly use had this info in the specs - so yes its easily available but telling you it wont play outside the states.