Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   New York Ripper (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   SHAM029/SHAM200 - New York Ripper HD: The Tech Debate (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/new-york-ripper/4421-sham029-sham200-new-york-ripper-hd-tech-debate.html)

Sarah@Cult Labs 18th January 2011 12:52 PM

SHAM029/SHAM200 - New York Ripper HD: The Tech Debate

We’ve set up this thread so that you can get your feedback to Shameless regarding their release of New York Ripper on DVD and BD. This is the place where you can give your opinions in the build up to the release: what you hope Shameless will and won’t do technically and why. When NYR is released on 25 April 2011 you can pass on your feedback on the technical aspects of the release here too.

Please note: this is not the place to review the film itself, rather a place to give constructive feedback on the release itself e.g. picture quality, audio, subtitles etc. Also, there are already (or soon will be) threads for discussion of BBFC decisions, special features and artwork so it would be appreciated if you refrain from discussing these particular aspects here.

All opinions are welcome as long as they are constructive in the sense that they are providing useful feedback for Shameless. Any members seen to be attacking others for their opinion (whether positive or negative) will have their posts deleted and will receive an infraction or, potentially, a ban.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th January 2011 01:16 PM

In terms of what I would like Shameless to do from a technical standpoint on the Blu-ray, a big selling point and almost essential part of the release would be lossless or uncompressed mono soundtracks so either DTS-HD Master Audio or (preferably) LPCM should be on the BD.

bdc 18th January 2011 07:18 PM

In terms of the extras I would like to see an improved (picture quality) Shameless trailer park.
And an option to "play all". ;)

the blob 19th January 2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 122705)
In terms of what I would like Shameless to do from a technical standpoint on the Blu-ray, a big selling point and almost essential part of the release would be lossless or uncompressed mono soundtracks so either DTS-HD Master Audio or (preferably) LPCM should be on the BD.

This is the major thing I can think of too. :)

broonage 19th January 2011 08:21 AM

The soundtrack as a CD!!

dustdevil 22nd January 2011 04:36 PM

I'll second that emotion :pray:

bdc 22nd January 2011 04:40 PM

They could add the soundtrack on the bd as well I guess.
However it would make the release more expensive for Shameless I think?

broonage 22nd January 2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 123596)
They could add the soundtrack on the bd as well I guess.
However it would make the release more expensive for Shameless I think?

I'd be willing to pay top dollar.

oaxaca 26th January 2011 05:17 PM

Yeah a lot of us on here obviously love the films Shameless release and would like their releases to be collectable (e.g. steelbook releases / soundtracks on a seperate disc / lots of extras) and of high AV quality. I think this should and must be reflected in the price. And I'm sure most of us would be happy to pay a good sum for good quality releases.

Though I must say the price of New York Ripper is very reasonable!

Sarah@Cult Labs 11th February 2011 08:58 AM

Quote:

Apologies for the delays in getting this info out to you. Shameless are in the process of authoring both the DVD and Blu-ray so I should be able to release this info reasonably soon once a decision has been made.

Sarah@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

It's taken a while to get this info as I've had to wait for Shameless to go through the authoring process for both DVD and BD but I now have an answer!

Shameless have listened to all concerns and advice on the forums regarding the audio format and so New York Ripper Blu-ray will feature:
  • DTS 2.0 HD Master Audio in English.
  • DTS 2.0 HD Master Audio in Italian and Spanish (with English subtitles).
  • The unadulterated original audio, as per the original source, in English.

The DVD version of the film will feature:
  • Dolby Digital Mono in English.
  • Dolby Digital Mono in Italian, French, German and Spanish (with English subtitles).

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 132922)
It's taken a while to get this info as I've had to wait for Shameless to go through the authoring process for both DVD and BD but I now have an answer!

Shameless have listened to all concerns and advice on the forums regarding the audio format and so New York Ripper Blu-ray will feature:

• Dolby Digital Mono in Italian, French, German and Spanish (with English subtitles).

Three DTS-HD Master Audio tracks?! Excellent -- watching it with the Spanish audio should be a weird and wonderful experience! Top marks to Shameless for these audio options.

broonage 4th March 2011 09:34 AM

I'd love to see French or at subtitles in French. That way I could introduce these wonderful films to my gf. I've been able to do that with some of the recent BU Blus, sadly she hated Maniac!

Sarah@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broonage (Post 132925)
I'd love to see French or at subtitles in French. That way I could introduce these wonderful films to my gf. I've been able to do that with some of the recent BU Blus, sadly she hated Maniac!

Unfortunately French wasn't possible for the Shameless BD. However, the DVD has French audio. Why not get her a belated Valentine's gift? I'm sure she'd love it... ;)

broonage 4th March 2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs (Post 132926)
Unfortunately French wasn't possible for the Shameless BD. However, the DVD has French audio. Why not get her a belated Valentine's gift? I'm sure she'd love it... ;)

:)

bdc 4th March 2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Wow! :rockon:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 01:22 PM

Thanks for the update Sarah. :)

It's great to see HD tracks in both English AND Italian - something that the BU Blu hasn't got. :clap:

It makes my impending BD double-dip all the more anticipated! :happy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 02:51 PM

April 25th can't come soon enough!

Amertume 18th March 2011 07:38 PM

Got it pre-ordered on BD, of course! :party:

What's the actual reason that the DVD will feature both a French and a German soundtrack? :)

Sarah@Cult Labs 18th March 2011 09:33 PM

Partly because they were available in a suitable format and partly because Shameless wanted to give DVD customers a slightly different package to their BD counterparts!

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk

Sarah@Cult Labs 13th June 2011 10:00 AM

As promised, I have some comparison shots so that you can compare the PQ of the new version of NYR with Shameless' earlier release (SHAM001). For a more detailed analysis of the PQ in the release as a whole, you should check out Nos's excellent review in the reviews thread.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...vsSHAM0013.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...vsSHAM0012.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...vsSHAM0011.jpg

Obviously screen grabs only show a brief moment in the film so for more information I'd highly recommend checking out reviews as we get nearer to the release date. However, having seen the NYR BD, I can say that the film looks spectacular in HD, with really gorgeous PQ and audio!

antmumford 13th June 2011 03:54 PM

I'm assuming the top screenshots are the new BD??

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 13th June 2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 157780)
I'm assuming the top screenshots are the new BD??

Yeah, hence the captions identifying the top ones as from SHAM029 and the bottom one is as from SHAM001, the very first DVD Shameless released.

I imagine the ones from the BD will look even better but, as it would take a long time to find the right frames to capture and then resize them so they are the same size as errors DVD caps, I'll just say the picture quality on the BD looks awesome and leave it at that!

antmumford 13th June 2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 157784)
Yeah, hence the captions identifying the top ones as from SHAM029 and the bottom one is as from SHAM001, the very first DVD Shameless released.

I imagine the ones from the BD will look even better but, as it would take a long time to find the right frames to capture and then resize them so they are the same size as errors DVD caps, I'll just say the picture quality on the BD looks awesome and leave it at that!

Would help if I looked at it properly the first time round, sorry for being a douche!

To be honest the PQ doesn't look great but like you say I'll only be able to judge once I see it in motion myself

Peter Neal 15th June 2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

German audio for the DVD...???!!!!!!:eek::shocked::):):):)

You just made this German DVD collector's day, turning this release into a "must buy" for me :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::rockon:

JAMIOUSE 15th June 2011 06:00 PM

Looks very good to me, the print looks a lot clearer and more colourful. What's the extra scenes and bits of footage then?

Sarah@Cult Labs 15th June 2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE (Post 158236)
Looks very good to me, the print looks a lot clearer and more colourful. What's the extra scenes and bits of footage then?

That info can be found here, JAMIOUSE!