Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   New York Ripper (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   New York Ripper-You gotta love it! (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/new-york-ripper/5721-new-york-ripper-you-gotta-love.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st June 2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 155009)
Must be because he can't talk about it on daytime Beeb.....
Bottle in the holiest of places on the lunchtime review? :lol:

Maybe not at lunchtime, but how about Newsnight Review after 11 at night? They do occasionally review DVDs and BDs!

Demoncrat 8th June 2011 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 154912)
This is what Mark Kermode says about NYR is his book IT'S ONLY A MOVIE:

I don't think anyone here is embarrassed praising it. I know I'm not anyway.

coming from a guy who lost several points with me for praising to the heaven a certain Paprika ripoff, i think embarrassment is nae a word id bandy about:lol:

Gojirosan 17th June 2011 12:28 AM

None of the poll options apply to my view on the film.

It's not a very good film, in my opinion. Certainly watchable, and the self deprecating elements of humour are a nice change for gialli, but it's just a silly little film. It's boring and lacks any of the visual style, verve and panache that Fulci's best films contain. It's certainly a very long way below the likes of Don't Torture a Duckling or Lizard In A Woman's Skin.

I think it's status as both a Fulci film and as a giallo have been unfairly and unjustly elevated by its notorious standing and the foolishness of the BBFC regarding it.

tobiaswragg 17th June 2011 12:30 PM

Probably my favourite Fulci (of those I've seen up to now).

mr 420 17th June 2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 154911)
I think the most impressive aspect of New York Ripper is the score -- much better than some of the rubber prosthetics, anyway!

Ever heard this version Nos?

Another Dead Junkie - New York One More Day.

YouTube - ‪New York One More Day - Another Dead Junkie‬‏

Edit: I can't seem to get the vid to work ,but go to youtube to have a listen, it's well worth it.

SilverGunnar Hansen 9th July 2011 04:06 PM

Finally saw it recently - never wanted to before but I really liked it! The duck voice had me in stitches, but the violence did really upset me, I think that combination is pretty unique, makes for a memorable film.

I think the accusations of misogyny are justified, but I think it's a deliberate tactic to make it outrageous and shocking, I don't think it reflects Fulci's attitude, apart from that towards pushing the envelope! QUAAAAAAAAAACK!

Peter Neal 18th July 2011 01:50 PM

Watched my Shameless "Fan Edition" DVD of "New York Ripper" yesterday and was very pleased with what I got, with the inclusion of the German language version being a particularly nice touch for me as I have a great fondness for 70's/80's German dubs.:rockon:
I'd be more than thrilled if Shameless could provide some more German language tracks as an extra in the future.:popcorn:
I also full on agree with writer Dardano Sacchetti's verdict on Tarantino in the interview 100 %!:clap::nod::woot:

Peter Neal 11th August 2011 10:15 AM

May be I missed some info regarding this but out of personal interest:
Are there any plans for future Shameless releases to also feature a German audio track?:pop2:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th August 2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 173199)
May be I missed some info regarding this but out of personal interest:
Are there any plans for future Shameless releases to also feature a German audio track?:pop2:

I've passed on your query and I or Sarah should hopefully have some information about that which will then be passed on.

Peter Neal 11th August 2011 05:18 PM

Cheers for that, Nos.:)
The German dubs from the 70's/80's era of (Euro) exploitation have a particular charm and feature German actors/voices who became later known for more "mainstream" work, like Jack Hedley's German voice in "NYR" who's the voice of Homer Simpson in the German language version of "The Simpsons" and David Hess in "House on the Edge of the Park" got dubbed by the actor who's most famous for dubbing Bruce Willis nowadays - just to name two of many examples!:cool: