Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2008, 12:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I haven't seen the uncut NYR for some years so can't remember how phony the effects were but the BBFC did say that if the effects were risible that would diminish the chance of cuts. Although in a sequence like this they would have to be 100% unrealistic to stand a chance of passing. The effects scene in Tombs of the Blind Dead showing a woman having her breasts sliced with a sword was really quite poor and would think this is the main reason why the cut was waived. Likewise a similar shot in Nightmare City was laughable and so again the cut was waived. I didn't think the effects in Cannibal Ferox was quite so bad. The breast/body slashing scene in House on the Edge of the Park was horribly realistic. This scene has no chance of ever being passed.
Old 25th May 2008, 12:12 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The fact that the girl is bound (and fully naked) in NYR wouldn't help it's chances with the BBFC either. Although there's no stabbing involved I think Don't Go In The House would have a similar problem.

The breast-hacking in Nightmare City certainly was laughable (and a terrifically all-round cheesy film). The one that gets torn off in Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue is equally darft. I fully agree about House On The Edge Of The Park. The sequence itself is not only never-ending but incredibly unpleasant. It would get less cuts now than before (12 mins) but this scene would still be heavily edited.
Old 25th May 2008, 03:10 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trench View Post
Sorry to go off topic here, but a quick question for Herman - where could I find that making of Cannibal Holocaust? I'd love to see it. Thanks in advance.

On topic, New York Ripper wouldn't be my favourite movie, but it certainly has it's moments. Sleazy as you like, especially the scene in the cafe. Grim.
The two disc Grindhouse Releasing 25th Anniversary DVD has a making of documentary with an interview with deodato- plus audio commentaries.

My blog has moved house: Italian Film Review Blog
Old 25th May 2008, 03:58 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

With Last House being passed intact Vince , including the chest autograph by Hess, would the similar scene in HOTEOTP not pass as well if it were submitted now.?
Old 25th May 2008, 04:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

No chance of that happening, Vipco.

In last House on the Left the woman who had her chest carved was allowed the dignity of keeping her clothes on, there was no visible nudity at all, Hess made no attempt to remove her clothes. In House on the Edge of the Park the razor slashing was to a completely naked woman. That's a very big difference as far as the BBFC are concerned.
Old 25th May 2008, 04:25 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I see what you mean Angel, thanks.

BTW, has MSP been passed as its advertised in Zavvi's online store.

If i've asked this before please ignore but I think it was on a different site. Im a bit lost at the moment.

Last edited by vipco; 25th May 2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 25th May 2008, 05:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

No MSP hasn't been passed and it's unlikely to ever be passed.
Old 25th May 2008, 06:03 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Angel's right. MSP was rejected by the BBFC at the end of February. Given their detailed reasons for rejecting it an appeal would be pretty senseless.

I could definitely see House On The Edge Of The Park receiving less cuts now though the razor-slashing/assault scenes would still be a definite no-no. Good editing could end up with around 2-3 mins of cuts but that's about it really.
Old 25th May 2008, 07:18 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Anyway,NEW YORK RIPPER is just fine and dandy the way Shameless have released it......
Old 25th May 2008, 10:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Zavvi online's got a cheek advertising it for sale.
I knew it was rejected and wouldn't see the light of day in the UK for a long time, but when I saw it online I thought something had changed.

Think i'll wind em up and order it.

As it was banned outright the time of the new censorship bill was being discussed, do you think this was just the BBFC flexing their muscles to show their still up to the job.?

The murder scenes i've seen from it aren't nothing we haven't seen before. I think the BBFC were just looking for a scrape goat and MSP fitted the bill perfectly.

Like this? Share it using the links below!