Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2010, 12:46 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Your not missing much. I got 2 copies of the Shameless and an uncut US release and the nipple slicing scene that was cut is pretty fake looking . The way Shameless edited the scene makes the scene more disturbing than the uncut version .
I would agree with this. I'd rather see a good cut scene than a poor uncut one!
Old 10th October 2010, 12:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Cult Labs View Post
Shameless are pondering if NYR would fare differently now but it's hard to see how.
Is it possible to get an indication from the BBFC if a title would require cuts, or is that only given when a dvd company formally submits a film?
Old 11th October 2010, 06:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Is it possible to get an indication from the BBFC if a title would require cuts, or is that only given when a dvd company formally submits a film?
I think that's a good point Stephen.

Some people have been questioning whether The New York Ripper would get through uncut if submitted again. Surely the BBFC have enough knowledge / past experience of this title to inform companies like Shameless whether they should bother or not?

Smaller companies such as Shameless / Arrow/ Severin/ Nucleus etc don't have a lot of money to spend and are appealing to a smaller fanbase, so paying the BBFC to ( possbly ) ruin their product ( and therefore losing a boatload of sales ) doesn't make any sort of financial sense.
Old 11th October 2010, 07:33 PM
Active Cultist

When I asked if it was worth picking up Island of Death I was advised it would still require cuts so I passed on it. Doh!
Old 11th October 2010, 07:35 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
When I asked if it was worth picking up Island of Death I was advised it would still require cuts so I passed on it. Doh!
This is the thing - you can ask off the record before you head into battle but it's far from certain how it will then go.
Old 12th October 2010, 08:01 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
I would agree with this. I'd rather see a good cut scene than a poor uncut one!
I find that an amazing statement. You'd rather a cut version than see the film as the director intended?
Old 12th October 2010, 09:09 AM
Active Cultist

Don@t bother hopinh HOTEOTP gets released in the uk, just get the shriek show release.
Old 12th October 2010, 12:32 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny66 View Post
I find that an amazing statement. You'd rather a cut version than see the film as the director intended?
Controversial as it may be, yes. If I don't enjoy the film as the director intended it, then I see no problem with preferring a cut version. I would find it more amazing if I forced myself to sit through a scene I don't enjoy watching just because that's the way the director intendedit. In the case of NYR the effects used in the cut scene are fake looking and detract from the whole experience for me. As Vip said, Shameless handled the cut very well and I feel this actually made the scene better in many ways, at least for me.

While I'd love to live in a society where cuts just didn't happen, I don't, so I have to be philosophical about it and in the rare instances where the cuts work, as in this film, then I have to be grateful for companies like Shameless who handle these things sensitively and well.
Old 14th October 2010, 06:59 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Calling all New York Ripper fans in London!

To celebrate the release of Fulci's Box of Terror, on Thursday 28 October videotapeswapshop and The Bread & Roses in Clapham are hosting a screening of Fulci's famous nasty, starting at 7pm. Oh, and did I mention it's absolutely free? No? Well, it is!

Check it out here or on Facebook!

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 15th October 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Default comeandsee. The New York Ripper, Lucio Fulci (1982)

quack quack quack!
we're getting pretty excited about the Fulci Box of Terror release here at VTSS HQ, and to celebrate we're screening The New York Ripper for FREE!
Head down to the lovely Bread and Roses (5 minutes from Clapham North Tube) on 28th October for a pleasantly unhinged evening of exploitation weirdness!!
We'll be throwing in sexy 70s soundtracks, a lazy film quiz, a soon to become NOTORIOUS videotapeswapshop, Shameless trailer loops, obscure idents, ridiculous movie mash ups, bad dubbing and, of course, the main event - The New York Ripper, The Sickest Movie Ever Made! oh! and yes, it's TOTALLY FREE!!!
look out for our website (currently being stapled together) find us on facebook, check out our blog, follow us on tumblr and, er, twit our twitter. Get ready for the most fun, interactive and booze addled exploitation night South West London has ever seen! The perfect way to kick start your Halloween weekend!
VTSS
xx

Like this? Share it using the links below!