Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st December 2007, 03:01 AM
Active Cultist

Default SHAM001 - New York Ripper

I am probably the worlds slowest collector and got my copy of new yourk ripper today and just finished watching it. when I ve had some sleep I will review it for the blog and then post up my thoughts- quack quack quack
Old 2nd December 2007, 03:19 AM
Active Cultist

okay, I still havent got around to posting review on blog, too busy watching films- today it was the making oif cannibal holocaust (informative) , bianchi's massacre (awful), tenebrae(excellent of course) and did start to watch rabid dogs.

anyhow thoughts on shameless new york ripper.

I havent seen this on dvd before, last time I watched this was on VHS.

The picture quality is nice, really smooth (dare I say slick or is it out with that kind of thing)- loved the animated menu, good work and graphix work for animated shameless title- again really smart.

Now what I especially liked (as a bonus feature) were all those trailers!!!!!

Could we have more of that kind of thing- and please don't fall into the vipco trap of showing the same four trailers before every feature. people love trailers.

as to the film itself, well its fulci isn't it, the man was a legend. I will write a full review up and post it tomorrow hopefully.

now to get shameless 2- phantom of death isnt it?
Old 2nd December 2007, 07:13 PM
Active Cultist

finally i got to write review-

http://bloodyitaliana.blogspot.com/2...pper-1982.html

as much an anti video recordings act polemic as a review.

hope you like.
Old 3rd February 2008, 12:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Only 19 seconds cut from NYR? Good that I finally stumbled over this bit of info in the intro thread, because I was just recently rewatching my old Dutch DVD to satisfy my curiosity what actually went missing from the Shameless disc...and it really didn't feel like much, certainly not 34 secs...and the Shameless pq is nicer, too.
What adds to te NYR confusion is the AWE "restored version", which contains all the missing seconds from the UK DVD plus additional (if not really important) scenes, BUT really seems to have lost a portion of the "cartoon cinema nightmare's" throat slashing.

Last edited by Peter Neal; 3rd February 2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 24th May 2008, 10:28 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I was never a fan of this since I first saw it. However the Shameless release is the best print I've seen so far in terms of quality, and the 19 secs of cuts make the scene appear even nastier than it is.
Old 24th May 2008, 04:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Got to agree there Vince......the way Shameless have edited it is cool.....the original nip slicing was phony anyway,not to mention gratuitous....
Old 25th May 2008, 04:13 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Sorry to go off topic here, but a quick question for Herman - where could I find that making of Cannibal Holocaust? I'd love to see it. Thanks in advance.

On topic, New York Ripper wouldn't be my favourite movie, but it certainly has it's moments. Sleazy as you like, especially the scene in the cafe. Grim.

Last edited by trench; 25th May 2008 at 04:16 AM.
Old 25th May 2008, 06:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I was never a fan of this since I first saw it. However the Shameless release is the best print I've seen so far in terms of quality, and the 19 secs of cuts make the scene appear even nastier than it is.
How does cutting footage make the scene appear nastier?
Old 25th May 2008, 11:06 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
The gore effect is so fake it imho detracts the nastiness from the scene . By knowing what is happening but not fully seeing it the image that flashes in my head is far more nasty than slicing any obviously rubber nipple could protrey.

Its the same in Ferox . During the impalment scene too much of the girls breasts are shown and you can clearly see they're false and if the director would have cut 3s from that scene it would have been alot more nasty.

Good Blog Herman, very enjoyable , btw, did you get that making of CH with the Special Ann. Ed.?

Last edited by vipco; 25th May 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 25th May 2008, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
If you haven't seen the uncut version it works far better. The actual slicing of the girl's chest/nipple is extremely phony-looking. In the cut Shameless version (where the camera cuts between the screams, Jack Hedley's blanching reaction on the phone, and slowed-down images of the hand holding the bloody razorblade) the imagination produces a far more unpleasant image than the scene itself.

The eyeball-slicing is still nasty stuff even now though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!