Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2011, 04:54 PM
Cult Rookie

NYR is in my top 10 giallos! I love this movie! I don't think it's slow at all and if I showed most average joes this movie they would all say this movie is nasty with all it's gore. Just the way I like my giallos!
Old 10th November 2011, 06:25 PM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I didn't find it disappointing at all. I'm not sure what people expect from films like this. It's extremely bleak and very violent and boasts some great NY locations and really documents the seedy underbelly of NY in a similar way to Lustig's Maniac. I'm surprised people no longer find it shocking. If you actually stop for a moment and think about the film's content, it's pretty disturbing stuff. How graphic does a film need to be before horror fans applaud it in this day and age? Some of the violence is truly shocking and nasty, how can people say it's not gory enough? Buckets of gore does not a good film make.

Colour me baffled.
I said I was disappointed by the film. I'm not saying its a bad film. I do like Fulci. In fact I love Fulci. It is bleak but I think some of that gets lost in flat characters. I don't find it shocking because sadly most of the violent effects look dated now esp the bottle in the vagina scene. I think it has something to do with the way the actors act in these graphic scenes. Scream really loud and then drop dead suddenly. And I do certainly agree buckets of gore doesn't make a good film. But this films tagline is 'the sickest film evr made'. I think I was expecting Zombie Flesh Eaters gore with a Halloween type storyline. I will give the film another chance one day, but on a first viewing it was disapointing to me.
Old 11th November 2011, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

exactly. to wit, watched a real heap of crap called The Slaughter (...the plot of which i can barely bring myself to relate...) which featured a rather "nasty" death featuring intestinal spewing etc, whilst having my tea!
ie it was a dull as dishwater film (with reallybad audio, so i missed half the dialogue anyhow!) which only a xtian shut in would find offensive. pass!
give me a squeaking psycho anyday!
you could put on a "virtual" sleaze tour of New York with all the films theyve done over the years...

oops this was meant o go under Daemonia's last reply...must quote more often...ahem.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yeah, I can understand how someone could be disappointed by it, the experience of discovering the film now and seeing it back in the day, on a blurry Dutch subbed VHS bootleg (like I did) is so different I can well understand it... I loved it and still do. I took the gore in my stride but Alexandra delli Colli getting toe-f*cked - when I saw it first in the early '90's, this 15 year old had no idea you could do things like that with your feet
Old 12th November 2011, 08:08 AM
Ex-Member

Yeah I agree. It was one of the few nasties I didn't see at them time, so I've had no nostalgia or feelings for when i first saw it. Unlike Zombi 2, Evil Dead and The Exorcist.
I viewed it now, as a thirty something and as said everything looked dated and badly paced.
Old 12th November 2011, 09:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I wasn't disappointed at all with it, I have the first BU DVD and the Shameless edition and will definitely be upgrading to Blu Ray in the near future. Yeah the duck quacking is a bit of a joke but overall it's a pretty grim and vile film that I put in a similar league with the two David Hess House films, each to their own though I suppose

"They all float down here, they allll floaaaattt!!!"
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th November 2011, 02:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyway, the film is still punk rock for me.... if my wife walked in while I was watching it, I'd probably switch it off... it's still a raw, offensive film even if the violence has lost its edge over the years... Stories of the uncut print being deported from the UK are true - the BBFC was really concerned about the scene with the broken bottle - their theory was, it could be a weapon anyone could improvise on the fly...
Old 12th November 2011, 04:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

You're quite right, Wes.The New York Ripper is a film I wouldn't feel comfortable watching in the company of someone who wasn't familiar with the genre (especially the stronger stuff).
Old 12th November 2011, 04:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

My dad watched NYR and liked it.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 12th November 2011, 04:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I've got the house to myself tonight so I think I might have a sleazefest, certainly got plenty of films that qualify

"They all float down here, they allll floaaaattt!!!"
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!