Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > New York Ripper

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2011, 03:32 PM
Ex-Member

Default Did anyone find NYR disappointing.

I've waited so long to see this film. I love Fulci and everything I've seen of his I have enjoyed. However there was so much hype for this I felt it didn't live up too its status. I can't understand why it was banned back in the day.
Maybe over time its just aged, but I found it quite slow like a bad episode of columbo meets csi. There were a few good gore effects but nothing like his other works. Did anyone else feel let down?
Old 9th November 2011, 03:44 PM
Ex-member

Default Did anyone find NYR disappointing.

got the uncut Blue Underground bd/dvd and AWE dvds
w/correct misplaced scene on the latter
not disappointed at all, at this gory giallo
I think its one of Fulci's best films
Old 9th November 2011, 05:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chad View Post
I've waited so long to see this film. I love Fulci and everything I've seen of his I have enjoyed. However there was so much hype for this I felt it didn't live up too its status. I can't understand why it was banned back in the day.
Maybe over time its just aged, but I found it quite slow like a bad episode of columbo meets csi. There were a few good gore effects but nothing like his other works. Did anyone else feel let down?
Funny, I felt similar but leave it a while and re-watch, there is much to enjoy but stuff like the quacking, slow pace and a kinda mean spirit are downright bizarre on first view but it will grow on you after awhile.
Old 9th November 2011, 07:42 PM
Ex-Member

It might be a grower I suppose. I just expected more gore and a bit more going on. It did feel downbeat and slow. Had a great opening. It had a great idea, I just feel like Argento does that style better. But I will give it another try.
Old 9th November 2011, 08:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I had read about it's fearsome rep years ago,and when I imprted it uncut on VHS from Amsterdam many moons ago,I wasn't disappointed.......
In fact,I think the first copy I may have got a hold of was from the infamous Barras market.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 9th November 2011, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

It's a bleak masterpiece disguised as an American cop show from the 70s. I'd rate it higher than any of Argento's giallo films. It's the cruelness of NYR that impresses me, I found the ending shocking, bleak and cynical all at once on first viewing. It stayed with me longer than any of the violence.
Old 10th November 2011, 02:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

All I can add to the other positive comments about the film is...

STICK THAT UP YER JOY TRAIL!

Yes, it's mean-spirited, cruel and very in your face but that's it's design and certainly doesn't even pretend to have the mystery and atmosphere of a more subtle gialli. Liking it to a cop show is quite spot on. As for gore, it's pretty high up there on the giallo scale I think and as for it's pacing, it's fairly on a par with Fulci on general. It just might stand out more without the atmosphere of some of his other work.
Daemonia and Pete like this.
Old 10th November 2011, 04:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

The first time I ever got to see Fulci's NYR was via the Dutch 'Italian Gore Classics' videotape in the red case.I thought it lived up to the hype of being one of his nastiest flicks.Unfortunately, my tape got chewed up by my VCR on only my second viewing.The only DVD I have at the moment is the old Anchor Bay release, I guess I'll have to upgrade to the BU Blu-ray at some point.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

it is a grower, like The Psychic imo. grim as ****, from beginning to end.
it's certainly different from House, City et al.

so as to your question Ricky, its a no.
Old 10th November 2011, 02:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I didn't find it disappointing at all. I'm not sure what people expect from films like this. It's extremely bleak and very violent and boasts some great NY locations and really documents the seedy underbelly of NY in a similar way to Lustig's Maniac. I'm surprised people no longer find it shocking. If you actually stop for a moment and think about the film's content, it's pretty disturbing stuff. How graphic does a film need to be before horror fans applaud it in this day and age? Some of the violence is truly shocking and nasty, how can people say it's not gory enough? Buckets of gore does not a good film make.

Colour me baffled.

Like this? Share it using the links below!