Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > The Twilight Zone: Official UK Forum > The Night Gallery

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2011, 12:14 PM
Cultist

Default Any love for the Gallery?

Although a quite flawed series, there were some really stories in NG.

My issue with the series was that some of these stories weren't given time to develop which hurt them.

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 24th February 2011, 04:05 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Im slowly working my way through season 1. I'm finding it enjoyable, but like you say it is a bit flawed.

I'm yet to be knocked off my feet by it. Some of them are so derivative of Twilight Zone episodes too. But I don't think I've gotten to any of the episodes that are considered classics yet. They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar is coming up soon, so maybe that'll be the one!
Old 24th February 2011, 07:39 PM
Cult Rookie

Competition

I love Night Gallery. I like it even though it has its faults. Except those flipping two / three minute gag stories in Season Two that Jack Laird wrote.

Tim Riley's Bar is amazing, The Doll is great cheesy fun too from Season One.

Season Two's patchy but The Caterpillar is an incredible episode. Also give Pickman's Model and A Fear Of Spiders a go.

I think the writing isn't as strong in Night Gallery as Twilight Zone but when it works it's really effective.

The pay-off at the end of The Doll is really creepy, but also a lot of fun.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:37 PM
Cultist

An episode I really liked was the graveyard story from the pilot. However, like most stories from the Gallery, I felt it's ending wasn't played out well enough to compliment the slow build.

Fan of The Twilight Zone? Then check out The Collector's Room - a sci-fi series in true Twilight Zone fashion.
Old 27th February 2011, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

One episode that creeped me out as a kid (I am sure it was a NG episode, but apologies if I am wrong) itwas about a painting that came to life(I think it was a pirate), I am sure if I viewed this now I would have a different view.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Pirate and paintings

At a guess it's probably The Escape Clause from the pilot. That features a fisherman on a boat painting which comes to life. There's also a bit about a man being, effectively, trapped in a picture of hell. So it's probably where the scare came from when you were a kid.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:22 PM
Cult Rookie

I completed watching the first season of Night Gallery a few weeks back and in my opinion there are only two good segments out of the seventeen in total. Those segments are “The Escape Route” and “They’re tearing down Tim Riley’s bar”, which both get 8 out of 10 ratings from me.

When it comes to the other fifteen segments, I thought “Eyes”, “The Cemetery” and “The House” were decent, whereas the rest ranged from average to poor in standard, so overall I was a bit disappointed with this first season.

From what I have read online though, the show does improve in season two and season two is considered the best of the three seasons. You also get 23 episodes and about 60 segments in season two, whereas with season one it was just 7 episodes featuring (as already mentioned) 17 segments.
Old 16th May 2011, 07:01 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

I'm not far into season 2, but I'd definitely agree with that. It seems to really hit it's stride in the first few stories.
Old 20th May 2011, 01:30 PM
Cultist

I wish they'd hurry up and release Season 2 on Region 1.

Old 23rd May 2011, 01:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Default DVDs

The Region 1 is available on UK Amazon for £20

As for a Region 2 release I'm less hopeful. It's been three years since S2 was released in America and there's still no sign.

The fact that it's on Hulu in the States as well means I doubt there will be much of a push to get a decent package for season three out either.

The Night Gallery Podcast

Like this? Share it using the links below!