Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   The Night Gallery (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155)
-   -   Any love for the Gallery? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/night-gallery/4791-any-love-gallery.html)

trouserpress 30th July 2011 09:09 PM

Night Gallery is currently less than £10 on Amazon. I still haven't seen any, but I want to. I understand that Spielberg started out on that show!

The Collector's Room 31st July 2011 10:28 AM

Yeah, he did 2 episodes shortly before making Duel.

But, as a big Spielberg fan, their not his best efforts. Eyes is a bit slapdash in places and Make Me Laugh is good in places but probably doesn't hold up on today's audiences.

willie's ALIVE 5th August 2011 08:37 PM

Despite the horrible Laird vignettes...

I love the The Cemetary, Escape Route, The Dead Man and The Doll, but Season 2
is really where the show picks up quality wise.

Highly recommended from Season 2:

A Death in the Family

Class of '99

Since Aunt Ada Came to Stay (For Jeanette Nolan's creepy Aunt Ada alone.
Check out her Thriller performances as well.)

A Fear of Spiders

Marmalade Wine (One of the only dark humor episodes that works.)

Silent Snow, Secret Snow

A Question of Fear (Leslie Nielson as you've never seen him before)

Pickman's Model

Cool Air (Bittersweet and 'chilling' love story.)

Camera Obscura (The last few minutes gave me nightmares as a child.)

The Messiah on Mott Street

Green Fingers (Compare the feeling of the ending to Gollum's last moments
alone in The Two Towers. There's just this chilling stillness that can get to you.)

Deliveries in the Rear

I'll Never Leave You - Ever

The Sins of the Fathers (one of the most disturbing stories I've ever seen on
television...and it's all in the performances.)

The Caterpillar (An unforgettable episode that most cite as the best.
I can't imagine what it must have been like to view 'Sins' and 'Caterpiller'
in back to back weeks during the original airing.)

Also recommended from Season 3 'Something in the Woodwork'.

Despite the production problems, as well as the highly publicized 'creative
differences' between Serling and Laird...this was a landmark period for
television horror.

TwilightZoneTom@Cult Labs 6th August 2011 11:51 AM

For anyone interested in Night Gallery, Orange Monkey does a fine podcast over at TheTwilightZoneNetwork.com that looks at each episode:

The Twilight Zone Network - Home

Gojirosan 6th August 2011 12:19 PM

Yes! What I have seen of it I have liked. Even the lesser tales seem to have a certain atmosphere I have not found in any other TV show.

juice.s.aaron 27th September 2011 05:19 PM

Episode question

When I was a 10 year old kid, I saw an episode of Night Gallery in syndication that shook me to my foundations. I don't know which episode it was, though. I've been through the various episode guides in search of it and none of the descriptions seem to match my memory of the show.

I don't know the entire plot of the episode, but the visuals that stand out are of a man or two men walking outside at night and some sort of shadowy creature is watching him/them from within some bushes. All you could see of the creature were his glowing red eyes. The creature seemed to be following them. A scene later on was, if I recall, in a basement room, possibly a study, and characters saw the eyes staring in through the high windows from ground level outside. By the end of the episode, the creature itself finally appeared and I think killed one of the other characters. It was fairly ape-like or maybe wolf-like. But had the red eyes. Those images haunted me for a long time.

The closest episode description I've found in the episode guides is Pickman's Model. I watched some of it on Hulu to see if it was the one. But while the creature from it is certainly scary enough, there are no outdoor night time scenes in the version on Hulu. And I don't remember the monster attack at the end being nearly as drawn out as Pickman's Model.

Any suggestions for what this episode might be?

willie's ALIVE 27th September 2011 05:47 PM

Night Gallery?...

Quote:

Originally Posted by juice.s.aaron (Post 184977)
When I was a 10 year old kid, I saw an episode of Night Gallery in syndication that shook me to my foundations. I don't know which episode it was, though. I've been through the various episode guides in search of it and none of the descriptions seem to match my memory of the show.

I don't know the entire plot of the episode, but the visuals that stand out are of a man or two men walking outside at night and some sort of shadowy creature is watching him/them from within some bushes. All you could see of the creature were his glowing red eyes. The creature seemed to be following them. A scene later on was, if I recall, in a basement room, possibly a study, and characters saw the eyes staring in through the high windows from ground level outside. By the end of the episode, the creature itself finally appeared and I think killed one of the other characters. It was fairly ape-like or maybe wolf-like. But had the red eyes. Those images haunted me for a long time.

The closest episode description I've found in the episode guides is Pickman's Model. I watched some of it on Hulu to see if it was the one. But while the creature from it is certainly scary enough, there are no outdoor night time scenes in the version on Hulu. And I don't remember the monster attack at the end being nearly as drawn out as Pickman's Model.

Any suggestions for what this episode might be?

Hey Juice, is there any possibility that this was not a Night Gallery episode?

The only one that this vaguely sounds like to me is a season 3 episode
called 'Hatred Unto Death' starring Steve Forrest of S.W.A.T. fame.

Not allowed to post links yet...but look at imdb for more info.

From what you describe, it sounds even more like an episode from the 80's
Creepshow movie called 'The Crate' with Fritz Weaver, Hal Holbrook and
Adrienne Barbeau.

Possibility?

juice.s.aaron 27th September 2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie's ALIVE (Post 184983)
Hey Juice, is there any possibility that this was not a Night Gallery episode?

The only one that this vaguely sounds like to me is a season 3 episode
called 'Hatred Unto Death' starring Steve Forrest of S.W.A.T. fame.

Not allowed to post links yet...but look at imdb for more info.

From what you describe, it sounds even more like an episode from the 80's
Creepshow movie called 'The Crate' with Fritz Weaver, Hal Holbrook and
Adrienne Barbeau.

Possibility?

Doesn't look like Hatred Unto Death is it, either. I just Hulued it and it's not what I saw.

Good guess on The Crate, which is kind of similar in creature to what I'm thinking of, but I didn't see Creepshow until a few years after this Night Gallery episode.

I had also wondered if it was possibly an episode of Sixth Sense, which was a non-Serling series that apparently got bundled into Night Gallery syndication, including newly filmed intros by Serling. I looked through an episode guide for that series, too, though and didn't see anything familiar.

willie's ALIVE 27th September 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juice.s.aaron (Post 184992)
Doesn't look like Hatred Unto Death is it, either. I just Hulued it and it's not what I saw.

Good guess on The Crate, which is kind of similar in creature to what I'm thinking of, but I didn't see Creepshow until a few years after this Night Gallery episode.

I had also wondered if it was possibly an episode of Sixth Sense, which was a non-Serling series that apparently got bundled into Night Gallery syndication, including newly filmed intros by Serling. I looked through an episode guide for that series, too, though and didn't see anything familiar.

Only thing concerning The Sixth Sense is that those shows didn't deal in
the supernatural or monster genres.

Hated that they bundled that into the syndication package with NG.
I have many painful memories of settling in to watch re-runs of Night Gallery,
only to be greeted with Gary Collins 'uncharismatic' face!

That show was just poor.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th January 2012 09:54 PM

I got the Night Gallery DVD the other day and just watched the Pilot episode (with the three stories). It's an intersting one this as the stories are all brilliant but, as has been mentioned, they are flawed. The first story The Cemetery for instance is a great tale [SPOILER!] but I felt like the ending totally killed it and felt added on in an attempt to outdo the twists The Twilight Zone were known for.