Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Oasis of Fear

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th March 2009, 08:37 PM
Cultist in Training

Watched it the other day... and I thought it way really good.

It is a refreshing little movie! Not a masterpiece, but extremely well done. The cast is perfect, the story interesting enough and it has a very cool soundtrack (I can't stop singing it!).

The only thing that bothered me was Ornela Mutti. She sure looks pretty and delivers a fine performance, but she is just too young. In some shot she looks like 14. I find it a little bit disturbing.

Anyway it's the first time Umberto Lenzi impresses me, and that's already an achievement. I've never been a fan of his movies. It's even the first one I see without stopping after 30 minutes, or clicking like a mad man on fast-forward.

Thanks Shameless!
Old 30th March 2009, 03:31 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarith View Post
The only thing that bothered me was Ornela Mutti. She sure looks pretty and delivers a fine performance, but she is just too young. In some shot she looks like 14. I find it a little bit disturbing.
It does seem odd that they would cast such a young actress for a role that required nudity, even from the trailer you can see that a body double is being used and I can't help but imagine it would harm the flow of the nude scenes. Surely they could have found a baby-faced, older actress.
Old 30th March 2009, 04:30 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-T-C Tim View Post
even from the trailer you can see that a body double is being used and I can't help but imagine it would harm the flow of the nude scenes.
It does.

Every now and then, Umberto Lenzi tries to show some nudity without showing what he's not allowed to. Ornela Muti was only 16, the nude scenes are indeed done with a body double. Since this faceless actress doesn't share the same morphology as Ornela, it does look extremely artificial. Worse of all, the same body-double is used for the 44 years old Irene Papas!

But without even considering the nude scene, I think a slightly older actress would have been better. These 2 lovers are supposed to be homeless hippies, living on their own since a long time (there's no reference to a fugue, a family or a school). They should be at least 18-19. For Ray Lovelock it works perfectly. He was 21 back then. Young enough to still be innocent and idealist, and old enough to live on his own, on the road. For the fight scenes, He looks just fine. But Ornela holding a gun is just... well... funny

Anyway, it's not a big deal. The movie is still good!
Old 28th December 2009, 12:50 AM
Active Cultist

Picked this one up today. One of the few shameless titles I haven't seen or own. I actually like some of Lenzi's stuff (Ghosthouse is hilarious) so looking foward to checking this out.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:58 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Where did you pick it up,HMV?
They seem to have a pile of Shameless titles just now!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 28th December 2009, 06:46 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah HMV, there's always loads in the horror section of my local branch. The yellow stounds out in all its awesomeness.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This was an enjoyable film with a very catchy soundtrack. The image quality on the DVD isn't too hot, but I am sure it is as good as the elements provided allowed.
Old 4th January 2010, 05:38 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Yup - a lot of effort was put into making it look as good as it does on the disc.
Old 4th January 2010, 06:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Was it more difficult to work with than Ratman or Watch Me When I Kill?

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 4th January 2010, 06:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

And it is great to have a film that is one of the more obscure ones.

Like this? Share it using the links below!