Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Officers

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2012, 10:28 PM
Cultist

Regarding Joan ever openly saying that she was a lesbian...there was a scene with her and terri in a bar, discussing the difficulties involved with being a lesbian...joanie said something like people do not understand lesbians...or lesbians have a bad rep...something to that effect;she was clearly talking about herself at that point.

And merle, I found her annoying one minute and liked her the next...lol.

Oh, also...what you said about Lou looking prettier in her final episodes...you're right, she did. But I think it was because when she was in the hospital (close to her final episodes) she couldn't have had access to hair products so her hair was going to be left down, she probably just left it like that for a while...I agree she looked a lot nicer like that, but when it was sprayed up as it was, she looked really tough, hahaha. I actually find her strangely attractive, the same with Rita.

Last edited by ScottishMermaid; 17th October 2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 17th October 2012, 08:19 PM
Cult Rookie

My dad was Scottish, from Ayre but mum is`nt a mermaid, no reason for the share, just an interesting name.

Being a male I will say the character I had a crush all the time was Vera. I always get a lumpy throat when I see her walk away, look back and not go to her farewell, Almost cementing her future as someone who will forever put herself first from then on. A little more Meg bashing, Her and Vera were such close friends yet after Vera left they never even caught up for a drink or reunion! Though lets not blame Meg...We sometimes forget the show has writers and Meg has no say in her direction though it is strange how writers can give some characters some not-so-obvious...character, Like Meg not really giving a toss when her son left home originally, or her `subliminal bullying` when it came to Joan. Maybe the writers of the show were a lot better than we give them credit for, except the fingerprint thing, which really gives me the irrits.

I liked Lou because she was tough, Was`nt big on the `rooster do` hair, but she was tough 95 percent of the time but just when you almost forgot she was a female she would cry and the contrast really made her appealing. I remember when she almost softened right up with the `lagging nun` but someone walked in and she reverted. She seemed like someone who just had a bad upbringing and rather than better herself she went with it, but like Darth Vader, there was still a slight glimmer of good on her. Never big on Reb, I didnt realize she was Lynn Scully from Neighbours also. Not until a few weeks ago, Did`nt like Lynn Scully much either. Nothing against Janet K, just the characters she chose to play...

I think Rita is attractive, but only by the standards that surround her, Merle, Lurch (Who I do find attractive in a way because of her personality) Lexie (ERGH) But a weird one is Kath Maxwell. I am in deep with her eps right now and I stare and stare and think `Do I find you attractive or not?` I cant explain it - She is and she is`nt! All at the same time, not at different times when she is showing a different side to her personality. ALL the time. She is attractive and she is`nt. Though she might make it just over the line because she is trying to be bad but is actually good and is doing a bad job of trying to convince us otherwise.

I really am dying to get to the Blackmoor scenes with Rita. I did try and cheat and jump ahead just to watch them but after 5 minutes I had no idea what was going on so I decided to slide in to those episode naturally. I hope Ray Butl...er Renne...er Craven is as evil as the clips indicated. I do notice from reading around that Blackmoor has male inmates, who end up at Wentworth and Alice`s fella goes to Barnhurst...Wow! `Victoria 1986 - The state of co-ed prisons`
Old 18th October 2012, 01:03 AM
Cultist

lol, people often find the name interesting...to me it makes sense...since I am Scottish and love both mythology and water, so it fits me well! heehee.

I am struggling to see what one could possibly find attractive about Kath, lol. I only liked her when she showed her good side which didn't happen often enough for my liking...she was too nasty for far too much of the time she was in it...shame it had to end just as she was on top...

I loved how Lou was with Daphne...when she tried to console daphne when she was crying, it was hilarious! Also, her face when Daphne was talking to the plants....LOL...so funny! And Reb...how could you NOT like her? LOL...I adore that character! I wish she had gotten a lot longer too! And Lurch, LOL...she was so sweet...I loved how she finally belonged when she teamed up with Rita, LOL. Lou was always so mean to her but she found true friendship in Rita/Nancy/Loreli etc.
Old 19th October 2012, 10:40 PM
Cult Rookie

Well Reb was just, miserable at the best of times. She was ok after her eletric therapy but then she started whining all the time. My question is was she faking it or not? I keep seeing her smirking and adjusting her collar as she looked back at the prison...

I know this is the freaks thread, but who was your favorite male officer? I really liked Steve Faulkner. Its a shame the actor who played him died so young. I really liked Len Murphy also, It was a shame he wasnt in it long. But Jock was the best bad guy and anyone who relieved us of Sharon Gilmour cant be all that bad!

ATM watching Joan living with Merv and Joyce, feel sorry for all three of them...
Old 19th October 2012, 11:49 PM
Cultist

Best male officer? Well, it has to be Jock...lol. He is so iconic even after such a short stint. He was a brilliant bad guy, lol. Len was also ace...as was Craven...all these bad ass male screws! LOL!!! Craven was actually hilarious too...lol...so cool with them sunglasses heehee.

I think Reb really did lose her memory etc...her whole demeanor had changed...that's of course what they wanted you to think but oh well, I believe she came good! LOL. Because I like when people come good in the end...come to their senses. lol.

Oh, Joan living with Merv n Joyce..that was hilarious! Felt so sorry for Joycie when Joanie had bought the flat, lol. Joycie had been nothing but kind to that woman!!
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:34 AM
Cult Rookie

Well i will say one thing, i am watching the eps on the boat and am really getting annoyed with Nancy trying to stop rita kil Joan. Nancy is so righteous and santimonious. She is so up herself and moralistic, seriously cannot wait until she is released or escapes or ends up in the press. Bea would have chewed her up and spat her out the first time she stuch her nose in. Lurch is becoming better and Merle is becoming more tolerable.

I thought you might have a soft spot for Jock. Hehe. He was pretty much the only character i know off in the whole series that had zero redeeming qualities. And we do not include his sensitive side when he was at the bottom of the stairs. Even the most evil characters had either a personality changing back story or they were'nt super duper evil, like Sonia Stevens, she was just cold. The Jock episodes were the ones i was hanging out for, but heonly hung around about three times and each times he was only around for half a dozen episodes.
Old 22nd October 2012, 06:46 PM
Cultist

Yes, I think with the really bad characters, they sort of have to make them short lived because in the end, the sensitive side always appears. Joanie was in for so long that she had almost as many sensitive story lines as she had being really bad. It can ruin a character, although I liked sensitive Joanie, lol. I loved how she was with animals and children, or anyone she had empathy for.

Jock, Len and Craven simply had no sensitivity...only because they were short lived characters.

I believe that's why bev the beast baker was killed off so soon too, she was simply TOO bad to keep it up...they could have kept it up for another few episodes though.

LOVED Sonia...they wrote her out FAAAR too soon. Unless she wanted to be written out that is...either way, I thought she would have been better off with a much longer stint.
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:54 PM
Cult Rookie

Ah see Len was not a bad guy all the time to everyone, like Bobbie and surprisingly i found him likeable, but that is probably because Maurie Fields was a very hard person to dislike, Have not gotten to the Crave eps yet and have never really seen much of him at all, so I will reserve judgment.

Was thinking about how people didnt like Bea leaving and others leaving but I think the show would not have lasted as long if Bea never left. See I was thinking about the finale,692 and thought if Bea had of been through the whole show and they still did the same thing Rita did, It just would`nt have seemed right. Bea was the most sensitive out of her, Myra and Rita. Bea would have crumbled at the Ballinger siege for starters. Remember when she was trapped under ground and took her ages to get over it? Myra was cold, she had to be, a lot of the times and didnt seem to care or was just exhausted with her role a lot, where as Bea would get pissed off and go and play with her braille machine and stuff like that. Rita was overly carefree and was sensitive but could change gears in a flash. Just was putting Bea in Ritas shoes in 692 and found it did`nt work
Old 27th October 2012, 03:37 PM
Cultist

Yes, I think it was time for Bea to go around 400. Mainly because her storylines were getting too repetitive and I REALLY cannot stand vulnerable Bea. And it happens so often too...it wouldn't have been quite so apparent during the initial showing of the show, but since I watch on a daily basis and see a few episodes in a oner...obviously the time in between these stories is very short. I only just got past both the tunnel episodes and the Ken Pearce episodes and she has now gotten amnesia....literally a few episodes if that in between these. I really love Bea, but it's the tough bea I love..and sometimes they just kept up the vulnerable bea stories far too much, it became unbelievable.

I LOVED Rita as top dog too...mainly because she was so different to Bea. I agree, the show likely would have been cancelled sooner had bea stayed in much longer. It was time for a major change in the dynamics. I really did love Myra as TD too. The Myra era is among my favourites actually. Rita wasn't quite as good when she first arrived but wow she made up for it, lol.

Bea would never have done what Myra did during the Ballinger riot, lol. What a fantastic few episodes that was!!
Old 27th October 2012, 09:59 PM
Cult Rookie

I agree with all of that, The weakest `era` in my opinion was from towards the end of the Minnie Donovan episodes (Which are being aired as I type) and to around the end of the Rabbit eps. The only saving grace was Len Murphy. Bobbie, Cass, Pixie and Rabbit seemed like the comedic era along with the permanently PMS pair, Judy and Myra and the droll Reb and unappealing Marie Winter. As for Minnie, by the way, Her `old biddy` voice drives me nutty.

Finally in the midst of the Blackmoor episodes, Which are really well put together. Blackmoor is worse than everyone had insinuated. Shame Margo Gaffney was`nt there or Cynthia Leech. Though I have never seen so many women with mullets in my life. It`s after Rita gets out of Blackmoor and drags Craven with her to Wentworth, that I am more interested in. Seen scenes and it looks like chaos.

Also have Sarah West hanging around and Pam Madigan. No problem with indigenous, But seems like we are getting both `educated` about what Aboriginals are really like and also stereotypical attitudes, that even back then are over done, and are making some characters look like idiots. Still I am enjoying these later episodes greatly. Because it did`nt have long to go I figured it would get boring or dull, but maybe because they are fresh to me it is a little more riveting. I guess in comparison to the early `Bea and Lizzie` episodes, these are less cartoonish and have a sharper...realistic edge to them. Though consider the high percentage of Aboriginal people in custody, I am surprised that it took 7 or so years to have one in H-Block, Actually I dont even remember an Aboriginal character EVER before Sarah West.

Like this? Share it using the links below!