Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Officers

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2012, 12:42 PM
Cultist

Oh god that Sarah West thing REALLY annoyed me. It was just such a crap story. Why did they have to do it so stereotypically? I mean, couldn't she have just been a regular prisoner? I know they were trying to show a little about racism but it is kinda racist to make her whole storyline revolve around her being an aboriginal....surely if they wanted to make it be about 'her' as opposed to her race, then they could have just made her a regular prisoner, instead of the nut case she was....really did not like her at all. It was like a mixture of the franky doyle story with the annoying teenaged one where they brought them in to teach turn them good kinda thing....not sure if you have reached that point but it sounds as though you must have. One of the very worst eras in the show's history was when they had them few delinquents in....was so glad that ended...lol.

Yes, the Blackmoor episodes were great...although their top dog 'roo'...what a joke! LOL. She was spoken about like she was some major tough case hahahaha....but then I suppose they only really managed to get on top with the help of the screws there so it wasn't actually them being tough that made them get TD position. Yes, it would have been great to see Margo in amongst it all, heehee. Another missed opportunity....in reality, that's where Bea should have been transferred to.

Minnie was, I agree...highly annoying, lol. Was very happy that she didn't last long!
Old 28th October 2012, 08:56 PM
Cult Rookie

Oh my goodness...Yes the `tough love` episodes for the teens. The story did`nt bother me, though the series itself was crappy in that are for about 20 or so episode, but the girls were fine, except for...Nikki Lennox. That girl could not act! "Hey I am really tough so you better not get me mad or I might bash you" She spoke like she was tough, the sound I mean and the definition of what she was saying, but it was like she was learning to read everytime she spoke! Then in her last scene she just took off. After all the suffering the viewer put up with we did`nt actually find out if she really learn t her lesson. Dont get me wrong, I didnt care, but I figure if you`re going to have all your fingernail extracted by pliers and the person doing it only pulls out nine, you would probably be a bit grateful it`s over, but you still wonder why bother leaving one last one.

"Hello dear, Have you seen young Bobbie? My lord that girl really needs a good kick up the behind" I`m sure you heard ?Minnie saying that.

Now I have gone past Blackmoor, Craven has had his stomach ache and so forth. Joan is running the show ATM and the officers are about to revolt. I watched about...Mmmm...8 episodes back to back yesterday. Sarah West has gone, thank goodness, See her character didnt bother me as much as how others were, like Mervin "Oh I thought you people drank a lot" He didnt say that but did say stupid stuff like it. Pamela Maddigan bothered me more. She was trying to break the stereotype (Good job, nicely dressed, caring, level headed) While at the same time being in a cloud of stereotype (Wanting a can of beer, smoking) Did``nt like her look much either, grey hair and dark skin with too much make up....nah.

I figure I have about just under 20 episodes to go and because i didnt skip ahead like before I am enjoying it more, because I know where the strange faces came from and it makes more sense. But I am glad I stuck with it cos it is getting intensely interesting and when it does finish I know it will be more satisfying than when I watched the last 3 episodes about ten years ago after never seeing anything past 530 or so. And Merle is getting more tolerable every episode, almost likeable. Actually one of the funniest things I have ever seen was her walking around the prison showing the blow up doll where everything was and introducing `him` around. Quite oblivious to the ridiculousness.
Old 29th October 2012, 07:24 PM
Cultist

I actually quite liked Pamela, lol. She seemed like a nice lady!

Oh, I cannot wait to reach them episodes again...lol. They really were excellent! Craven...LOL. He was a beaut!

Joanie was on top form around this time....best buddies with Craven to begin with...LOL!
Old 29th October 2012, 09:46 PM
Cult Rookie

We have Prisoner on foxtel pay tv at the moment and it`s around where the Major gets kidnapped and Joan is the Gov, The late eps i am watching separately are just after Craven has gone and Joan is...Gov also. The wussies (Marty, Meg and Joyce) are all about to be shipped off and are trying to kick up a stink. Although Merle and Cravens `ghost` are really funny, she is pooing herself, but Kath has just found out. The saga continues....
Old 30th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Cult Rookie

Only have about 13 episodes to go, But by far the best episode EVER I have seen was 677. It`s almost like turning the corner for the storylines that were played out for the past 20 or so, It`s the episodes where the `suck-ups` who had been transferred get the tv show involved and the final appearance of Lorilei. I gotta admit her final scene was really heart warming and gave a nice finish to her character. The episode was so strong and well written, I am amazed the show only lasted 15 more episodes. Not missing Bea or Lizzie or D - AWWWWW!`een at all. The character are more realistic and the stories so much more solid. I want to watch them quickly, yet with only 13 eps to go I wont know what to do with myself when it`s over...
Old 4th November 2012, 05:27 PM
Cultist

Oh I know, those were truly some excellent episodes...like you I have no idea why it ended because in my opinion, that was probably the best era overall. It was exciting for the last 30 episodes, really exciting. And poor Loreli.

So what's your thoughts on Craven? lol. Oh, and did you notice that one of the prisoners at Blackmoor was her who played Julie the receptionist?

Have you finished yet? If so, you could always do what I did and start straight from scratch again...I did that, started episode 1 the same day I finished 692, LOL! I am now back to 230, LOL. Depressed all over again at Vera's departure!
Old 5th November 2012, 11:34 AM
Cult Rookie

Craven...Umm Well he was as likeable as a boil, But he had a roar on him when he wanted someone to do something. He gave Joyce a fright when he did it to her. Well I watched ep 689 this morning which was the first I had watched in a few days. It`s the one that ends with Rita talking about the 250K and saying to Joan `Are you in?` I dont think I will be doing what you did. On pay tv Myra is about to skewer her hubby. Thing about that is...Myra has a daughter that dad does`nt want and she ends up killing him, goes to jail and daughter get`s hooked on heroin.... Sound familiar? Prisoner had a habit of rehashing storylines. But once the eps reach Myra escaping and drying out Debbie...er I mean...Um cant remember her horrible daughters name, that`s when I will stop watching as my journey to the last episodes started around then, and there were some rough times ahead, yawn-wise.
Old 5th November 2012, 05:24 PM
Cultist

heeheehee, yes there were similarities with characters. That didn't always bother me when it was good characters like Myra.

The drying out scenes were very boring I thought...and yes, the Barnhurst 5 era...that could have been soooo much better! Again another missed opportunity...I believe both that and the Blackmoore episodes were missed opportunities for something better - oh well!

My version of events would go like this....Bea was transferred to Blackmoore, not Barnhurst. In the Barnhurst 5 we have Chrissy, Margo, Marie, and maybe two newbies...

Rita goes to Barnhurst where she meets Bea, Marie, Margo and takes them all back with her...and they all team up to conquer the freak...oooh how exciting! Oh, and Vera returns too...lol.
Old 5th November 2012, 08:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Talk about VERY wishful thinking, on so many levels. Haha. I never liked Marie Winter, Margo I liked, As you probably remember she was on team Bea when she first arrived, but after her man got a severe case acupuncture via a police bullet, she turned bitter but she was a very blurry line as sometimes she was ok with the three stooges, while at the same time antagonizing them. I think she is due back soon on pay tv, Hooked on heroin or something...

Now I have always had an idea to write fan fiction on what happens to certain characters in the months and years following the last ep or their last eps. One that always goes through my head is the faked death of Bea at the Barnhurst fire. It goes something like this, Although it would have to be very intricate in detail.

Something like - Bea gets something on Vera, something HUGE that could see her in jail for a long time, although, as usual it`s because of one of Vera`s poor decisions or accidents (Like when she accidentally killed Anne Yates) So this time there is nothing Vera can do to curb Bea`s power, even if Bea died she would still have given the proof to someone on the outside before hand. So Bea says she wants out some way, but Vera is fighting it as it would look bad on her record. So it`s a bit of back and forth for a while. Then due to circumstance, Bea becomes aware of a riot that`s brewing that even she as top dog, cant stop from happening. So she tells Vera that that the is a riot due and neither of them can stop it, Bea cant stop it and Vera cant because Bea has told her that if the riot doesn't go ahead she will bust Vera, Vera has to pretend she doesn`t know it`s going to happen. Because that`s when Bea will escape. So moving on to the riot, Bea is trying to stop as much damage as possible to her friends while doing the plan she has with Vera. At one point one of the background characters is killed before Bea can save her. After a while Bea does get out of Barnhurst and makes her getaway. In hiding for a few days afterwards, she expects to hear there is a manhunt for her, but is surprised to hear she is one of the bodies identified in the aftermath. (Remember this ties in with the confusion when we first heard she died, first they said she `died trying to stop the riot` , like being burnt to death,Then they said smoke inhalation or something like that) And the police were on a manhunt for the same prisoner Bea saw killed in front of her. We find out Vera identified Bea as the body (This was before DNA testing remember) and the police were convinced. Later on Vera gets half the evidence Bea had against her, but kept enough to make sure Vera would never blab. Forwarding a few years Bea has a new identity and is totally free, She learns that Lizzie is on her death bed and decides to see her, while there she is surprised to see Vera leaving. When Bea goes in Lizzie is crying in joy after hearing of Bea`s death and then seeing she was still alive. But Lizzie was crying before Bea walked in. She tells Bea that Vera knew Lizzie was on her way out and because Vera was always secretly fond of Lizzie, told her Bea was still alive, so she could die happy. Bea then makes the decision to give the rest of the stuff to Vera that could incriminate her, knowing if she dobs in Bea now, then she knowingly assisted in Bea`s escape by lying to the police. Vera gets the rest of the stuff and there is a note with it that reads `Vera, If you tell the cops then we both know we will be sharing a cell.Nothing changes. Now you are free` Vera knows this and that`s where it ends.

They would only be short stories, like 100 page paperbacks. I thought of other stories, like Joan being released and way down the track she comes across Shane as an adult, and Lorelei also. Pixie after she is released from Ingleside, Judy after she stops touring with her gal pal singing that horrible `Pixie`s song` and has one more run in with Jock. Stuff like that. Trouble is I dont have the patients to write a book, so I guess it stays in my head.

I know I go on about this, but watching these later episodes til the end will make the final episodes a lot better. When I watched the last 2 eps ten years ago I found the story really well crafted, Like they made you think Anne wanted to see someone in her office for one reason but you did`nt realize the truth, really until you watched them again and thought `Ah they were really doing that or this` But as much as I liked them, i Thought `No wonder this show got canned, the characters a crap and dull` But now I am in the know with them it great. Actually when I watched the last episodes I was at a loss as to how Lurch was a main character as well as Joyce. That`s how far back my highest episode was, something like 540 or there about, Myra was still around anyway. But I did like the metamorphosis of Alice. She was a real likeable character, That made you almost glad she saw the light. Although playing the resident horn bag put a funny spin on her.

As for the black hole, I like many would have loved Cynthia Leech to have been in Blackmoor. Actually, Imagine if Cynthia pulled the trigger just before the riot? And the best bit is we still never saw her face? Then the freak could tease Rita how her friend took care of Bongo, just to add a spin. No Marie Winter or Margo either... Ah well.

It`s make believe...It`s not real...

I`m trying, really I am.
Old 20th November 2012, 06:49 PM
Cultist

Apologies for the delayed response! I like your version of events!! lol.

Have you finished yet?

Like this? Share it using the links below!