Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Officers

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2011, 03:52 PM
Cult Rookie

i've only started watching it from about episode 60, so i know nothing of vera before that, but at first i thought, "why is she such a bitch?" especially since meg was nice in comparison.

i couldn't help but feel sad for her when she tried to organise her birthday party in the staff room, and also a few episodes later when she mentioned having a demanding and elderly mother.

it made me understand her alot more, and now i love her bitchiness.

do we ever see her outside of her prison uniform or with her hair down?
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:17 PM
Cult Rookie

I LOVE the character of Vera - so multi-faceted. I'm currently watching the early 200s and it's interesting to see her dynamic with Terry Harrison, especially as she tried to overcome her "must stick to the regulations" mentality.

Just a few more episodes before she leave my screen
Old 3rd July 2011, 05:41 PM
Cultist in Training

Hey we're in roughly the same place!
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:34 PM
Cult Rookie

I'm watching "30 years run" - 30 years to the day each episode was originally aired in Oz! The extended breaks over Christmas/New Year are tough, but I can dip in and out of later (or earlier) eras which is good.
Old 3rd July 2011, 06:51 PM
Cultist in Training

Interesting idea. I take it you've gone through them before? I'm on my first complete run-through and these are episodes atm I've never seen before, so I'm just watching episode after episode because I don't know what's going to happen, so I'm enjoying it.
Old 3rd July 2011, 08:47 PM
Cult Rookie

This must be my sixth if not seventh full run!

I would LOVE to watch and not know what's going to happen, but when you do know what's coming, you see things on a different level, which is fab too.

I'm sure once you've done 1-692, you'll be clambering to start from scratch
Old 4th July 2011, 06:45 AM
Cultist in Training

Truth be told, I'm itching to start again already. I caught the last few years initially (including the end) on TV, then saw a few from the beginning on five, have a few eps on DVD which I've seen many times but as I say, many of these episodes I'm watching for the first time. It's bloody addictive!
Old 11th July 2011, 03:37 PM
Cult Rookie

i always thought vera stuck by the book....

yet todays episode, she said to bea "i'll leave you to deal with the rough stuff (referring to chrissie latham, the scene where bea clicks her fingers and the extras drop everything and leave.)...

I THOUGHT VERA was mostly good
Old 30th July 2011, 02:30 PM
Cult Rookie

we were very spoilt in the early days of prisoner as there were so many iconic charactors. bea smith, judy, lizzie, but vera bennett was my favourite charactor.

i loved the fact that she was more than a one dimentional charactor, and that she was hard faced and tough on the outside, but really a torchered soul who was crippled by lonliness behind closed doors.

There were so many great moments from vera, that its hard to pick a favourite storyline. i felt she was the best actress in it too, as vera was a very complex charactor with mulipal personalities.

what a shame she left after a couple of hundred episodes, i felt there was so much more they could have done with the charactor, and would have loved to have seen how she woudl have handled the great wentworth fire, and joan ferguson!

long live vera bennett
Old 1st August 2011, 10:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyrobots View Post
i always thought vera stuck by the book....
Should that not be struck by the boot?

Like this? Share it using the links below!