Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television > Prisoner Cell Block H: The Official UK DVD Forum > The Lags & Screws Of Wentworth > The Officers
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th February 2011, 05:00 PM
Cultist in Training

Default Look out it's The Freak!

The Freak has to be THE Ultimate Prisoner character. The 'dark, sadistic bulldyke' is the character everyone remembers when they think of Prisoner. Expertly played by Maggie Kirkpatrick, the character encapsulated every thing we both loved and hated about the show.

She may have been over the top and unrealistic, but she tapped into our darkest fears and made Prison an image in our minds.

If I have any criticism of her character, I would have to say that she could have been drawn better.

Take Vera for example. Yes, she was bitter and cold, but (not having seen every episode she featured in) I felt that her attitude was very well explained by her personal life.

Joan, on the other hand, was like two different people.

Working she was evil and sadistic, but at home (such as with her nephew and dog, Major) she was totally different. Unlike Vera, this difference was never explained. Who was Joan? Why was she so horrible?

I feel like I understand Vera. but not Joan.

But that ending was so much more satisfactory as a result......
Old 28th February 2011, 05:26 PM
Cult Addict

I always thought that it was good that they gave Joan a rounded personality rather than a one dimensional evil persona that a lot of other villains have. Did she not have Lorelei Wilkinson staying with her at one point?
Old 1st March 2011, 02:59 PM
Cultist in Training

Did she? That wouild be quite surprising. I can buy that she was a different person at home than she was at work, but to me it felt too like a different character. I know I haven't seen every episode, but I felt there was no arch between the two. Vera brought her problems to work with her, but Joan at home was just so far removed from Joan at work that it never felt eplained just why she was so evil.
Old 1st March 2011, 04:17 PM
Cult Addict

As far as I can remeber it was pretty near the end of the show, just before Lorelei ended up in Wentworth again. As for the "two Joans" I always felt that after years at work seeing things that the average person just doesn't see, she felt that the prisoners were no more than scum and that they had got eveything that they deserved. There's probably an explanation lurking somewhere in the 692 episodes and it's something to look for when I start re-watching the series.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Default stuart lacey

i think the answer to how she was at work is because, major (her dad) was such a hard worker and i think went quite far in the army. So at work, she wanted to be governor and therefore thought she couldnt be friends with anyone as this could undo all her plans for her goal to be governor.

As with vera they tried the same story scenario, but showed her having friends, a softer side, which proved her undoing in becoming wentworth governor, so the writers probably wanted to try a different approach with Joan.
Old 2nd June 2011, 09:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartlacey1977 View Post
i think the answer to how she was at work is because, major (her dad) was such a hard worker and i think went quite far in the army. So at work, she wanted to be governor and therefore thought she couldnt be friends with anyone as this could undo all her plans for her goal to be governor.

As with vera they tried the same story scenario, but showed her having friends, a softer side, which proved her undoing in becoming wentworth governor, so the writers probably wanted to try a different approach with Joan.
Sounds plausible.
Phantom_Lagger likes this.
Old 19th August 2011, 02:43 PM
Blogs Moderator

As The Freak is finally making an appearance in Volume 9 of the series, I posted this promo blog, dedicated to the gloriously stern and corrupt Ms. Ferguson...

THE FREAK!

Old 30th September 2011, 08:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Default joan was a good officer

ok this is how it goes joan was a good officer and straight lol until she met audrey they loved each other kiss kiss hug hug but the other inmates killed her then she turned evil she has been looking for someone like her ever since but there's no one left but the scum like the ones that killed her lover kiss kiss hug hug so joan was a good officer and she is a good person just not a good officer that all.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Briiliant thread ,the freak was the best
Old 25th April 2012, 09:01 PM
Cultist in Training

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life. Also got to say as I don't come here regularly, the email function is a godsend!!

Anyway, the Freak. I've now seen every episode. There are the odd inconsistencies that I put down to not every writer understanding the character, or decisions about her character being made after episodes aired, screwing up the continuity (like how she could drive before she took driving lessons). Essentially though, I think I understand her a bit better. Whether that's a good thing or not, is quite another discussion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!