Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2014, 06:59 PM
Active Cultist

Another winner from Criterion - Fanny and Alexander - got this with ebay proceeds - it is fantastic, visually stunning, brilliantly acted and profound without being obtuse and wanky. Only watched the three hour version so far - it flew in. If you love beautiful films you need to see this one.
Old 5th March 2014, 08:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

If you're prepared to take a chance on customs, AYM on Amazon has got Jules and Jim going for just under £17 (excluding shipping).
Old 7th May 2014, 03:50 PM
Active Cultist

Another great from the CC - Mike Leigh's Naked. Haven't seen this for ages, but it stands up just fine - probably helps that Britain is in just a shit state now as it was when this was made. Forgot Ewan Bremner had a cameo - surely improvised! For a largely plotless movie this is pretty addictive stuff.
Old 26th May 2014, 12:48 PM
Active Cultist

Been catching up with my unwatched Criterion pile -

The Lady Vanishes - fantastic caper - witty script and gung-ho action but with a dark streak of doom running through it, aka the impending Second World War. I even watched the Charters and Caldicott movie 'Crooks Tour' which is on the extras - real Sunday afternoon fluff in a good way.

The 39 Steps - not quite as good as TLV - I just thought the McGuffin count was too high, it's almost a total fantasy with all logic booted aside. I found Donat just the wrong side of irritating too. That said still great fun if you just go along with it. Great interview with Hitch on the extras.

For All Mankind - first time I've seen this, loved it. Really conveys the sheer incredulity of propelling a massive chunk of metal into space.

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold - the real find of the bunch for me, I thought it might be hard going but it was the opposite - utterly gripping. Burton and Bloom are fantastic, it looks amazing and doesn't pull any punches. A high recommend - only 21 US dollars on Import DVDs just now (I know some hate them, but I've had no problems with my last half dozen orders - maybe they sorted their shit out?)
Old 27th May 2014, 09:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I have just finally got round to buying my first Criterion Blu Ray with Repulsion on ebay cheap at £14 brand new.

I have also Ordered The Uninvited Blu off Marketplace for £12 delivered.

I Plan to buy in order of priority (to me) but would appreciate any recommendations of any horrors/Thrillers on the label that are worth prioritising?
Old 27th May 2014, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Cronenberg's 'Videodrome', and the upcoming 'Scanners' if you don't already have it.
Lincoln.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post
I Plan to buy in order of priority (to me) but would appreciate any recommendations of any horrors/Thrillers on the label that are worth prioritising?
I guess it depends on what you're into, but my suggestions would be:

Cul-De-Sac
Eating Raoul
Hausu
High and Low
Kuroneko
The Lady Vanishes
The Phantom Carriage
Rosemary's Baby
Seconds
Videodrome

At least where horror/thriller is concerned.
Old 27th May 2014, 10:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thank you both.
Old 27th May 2014, 07:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Anyone still making their way through the Zatoichi boxset? I'm only on the tenth film!
Old 15th July 2014, 11:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
Anyone still making their way through the Zatoichi boxset? I'm only on the tenth film!
I picked it up on release day and I'm only on the 12th film. Very fun movies but I want to take my time with them.

In other Criterion news:

Possibly my favorite Fellini film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!