Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1390Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2017, 06:50 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
UK July titles have been confirmed as A Brighter Summer Day and Tarkovsky's Stalker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
this is the artwork for the us release of Stalker. assume it is the same for UK
Yes Rob - it's the same picture

Features
  • New 2K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • New interview with Geoff Dyer, author of Zona: A Book About a Film About a Journey to a Room
  • Interview from 2002 with cinematographer Alexander Knyazhinsky
  • Interview from 2002 with set designer Rashit Safiullin
  • Interview from 2002 with composer Eduard Artemyev
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Mark Le Fanu

Features
  • New 4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • New audio commentary featuring critic Tony Rayns
  • Our Time, Our Story, a 113-minute documentary from 2002 about the New Taiwan Cinema movement, featuring interviews with Yang and filmmakers Hou Hsiao-hsien, Sylvia Chang, and Tsai Ming-liang, among others
  • New interview with actor Chen Chang
  • Videotaped performance of director Edward Yang's 1992 play Ukely Consequence
  • New English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: An essay by critic Godfrey Cheshire and a 1991 director's statement
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2017, 03:04 PM
Cult Master

Criterion's August Releases Announced | News | Film @ The Digital Fix

"Lord of the Flies, the 1963 celebrated British film adaptation of William Golding's novel about schoolboys marooned on an island where they become savages, is released on 28 August. In the hands of the renowned experimental theatre director Peter Brook, William Golding's legendary novel about the primitivism lurking beneath civilization becomes a film as raw and ragged as the lost boys at its centre. Taking an innovative documentary-like approach, Brook shot Lord of the Flies with an off-the-cuff naturalism, seeming to record a spontaneous eruption of its characters' ids. The result is a rattling masterpiece, as provocative as its source material.
  • New, restored 4K digital film transfer, supervised by editor and cameraman Gerald Feil, ASC, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Audio commentary featuring director Peter Brook, producer Lewis Allen, director of photography Tom Hollyman, and Feil
  • Audio recordings of William Golding reading from his novel Lord of the Flies, accompanied by the corresponding scenes from the film
  • Deleted scene, with optional commentary and Golding reading interview with Brook from 2008
  • Collection of behind-the-scenes material, including home movies, screen tests, outtakes, and stills
  • Excerpt from a 1980 episode of The South Bank Show featuring Golding
  • New interview with Feil
  • Excerpt from Feil's 1973 documentary The Empty Space,
  • showcasing Brook's theatre methods Living "Lord of the Flies", a piece composed of never-before-seen footage shot by the boy actors during production, with new voice-over by actor Tom Gaman
  • Trailer
  • PLUS: An essay by film critic Geoffrey Macnab and an excerpt from Brook's autobiography The Shifting Point"

"Satyajit Ray is regarded by cineastes as one of the greatest filmmakers of the 20th century and one of his most important works, The Music Room about the decadence of the Indian aristocracy, joins The Criterion Collection UK on 7 August. Satyajit Ray brilliantly evokes the crumbling opulence of the world of a fallen aristocrat (the beloved actor Chhabi Biswas) desperately clinging to a fading way of life. His greatest joy is the music room in which he has hosted lavish concerts over the years-now a shadow of its former vivid self. An incandescent depiction of the clash between tradition and modernity, and a showcase for some of India's most popular musicians of the day, The Music Room is a defining work by the great Bengali filmmaker.
  • New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack
  • Satyajit Ray (1984), a feature documentary by Shyam Benegal that chronicles Ray's career through interviews with the filmmaker, family photographs, and extensive clips from his films
  • New interviews with Satyajit Ray biographer Andrew Robinson and filmmaker Mira Nair
  • Excerpt from a 1981 French roundtable discussion with Ray, film critic Michel Ciment, and director Claude Sautet
  • New and improved English subtitle translation
  • PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay by critic Philip Kemp, a 1963 essay by Ray on the film's location, and a 1986 interview with the director about the film's music"
Justin101, keirarts and Rob4 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th May 2017, 03:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I've been patiently waiting for Lord of the Flies to come out. Great film.
Susan Foreman likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th May 2017, 03:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool, I was just about to pull the trigger on the US release of Lord of the Flies but now it becomes a much cheaper purchase. Agree its a great movie of a great book.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th May 2017, 03:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure why, but I've never seen the film. The book is a masterpiece.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th May 2017, 04:45 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

STRAW DOGS preordered.
Won't be long now!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th May 2017, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not sure why, but I've never seen the film. The book is a masterpiece.
There is a 1990 version as well which is more Americanised but the original film is really good, I'd recommend it. Perhaps you can rent the DVD from LoveFilm before the CC comes out.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th May 2017, 05:26 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
There is a 1990 version as well which is more Americanised but the original film is really good, I'd recommend it. Perhaps you can rent the DVD from LoveFilm before the CC comes out.
I would do that if I still had a Lovefilm account, but I cancelled it when I started my degree course in January. I'll either wait until I have completely finished uni, which will be in December, or pick up the Criterion Collection disc as a blind buy.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 26th May 2017, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've not seen it since watching it at school in English, after we'd read the book as a class. I do remember enjoying it though.
Incidentally, Stephen King named his fictional town of Castle Rock after the mountain fort from this film/book
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th May 2017, 06:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've not seen it since watching it at school in English, after we'd read the book as a class. I do remember enjoying it though.
Incidentally, Stephen King named his fictional town of Castle Rock after the mountain fort from this film/book
… And the film and TV production company founded by Rob Reiner and others was named after Stephen King's fictional town.
Rik likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!